FORUMS: list search recent posts

Thunderbolt 3 coming- but probably not for a while.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Moore
Thunderbolt 3 coming- but probably not for a while.
on Apr 22, 2014 at 4:26:20 am

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/04/21/thunderbolt-third-generation-details/

The highlights-

• 40Gb/s
• lower power consumption
• new connector, but backward comparable via adaptors.
• PCIe g3 support.

Don't get too excited (or concerned that your new MacPro is already obsolete); the processors referenced in the article put the release of TB3 at probably late 2015 or early 2016. I think that about the same revision time as TB1 to TB2.

At 40Gb/s, I still don't think TB3 can handle all cards that would previously have used traditional PCIe slots. 16-lane cards are probably still out. But it is getting closer.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Thunderbolt 3 coming- but probably not for a while.
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:24:23 am

A new Thunderbolt, a new connector yet still no optical. If this rumor holds true it will mean three iterations of ThB in 6 years. Kinda makin' me feel like you rushed this to market Apple...

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 22, 2014 at 10:44:25 am
Last Edited By Erik Lindahl on Apr 22, 2014 at 10:46:31 am

[Andrew Kimery] "A new Thunderbolt, a new connector yet still no optical. If this rumor holds true it will mean three iterations of ThB in 6 years. Kinda makin' me feel like you rushed this to market Apple..."
You mean Intel? I don't see how having 10 Gbit or 20 Gbit connectors on your iMac, MacMini and MacBook Pro can be a bad things during the revisions of Thunderbolt.

- TB1 and TB2 har 100% identical aside from the fact TB2 will give you in the realm of 70% better throughput and 4K support.
- TB3 is 100% compatible with TB1 and TB2 and if the above goes again, we'll see storage reaching 2250 - 2500 MB/s, dual 4K screen support (or 1 4K screen and 1 storage device at the same speed as TB2 from one port) as well as 100W power that can probably drive a lot of external devices like video interfaces and simpler storage solutions.

I don't see a huge problem. The only thing that will be a head-ache are the two connectors. And I think TB3 will at the earliest come out first quarter 2015, most likely is somewhere around third quarter 2015. If we're "unlucky" we're talking spring 2016 if TB3 is tied to the release of "Skylake" seeing "Broadwell" has been delayed.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:34:08 pm

[Marcus Moore] "At 40Gb/s, I still don't think TB3 can handle all cards that would previously have used traditional PCIe slots. 16-lane cards are probably still out. But it is getting closer."

We shouldn't forget that PCIe is still be actively developed, and PCIe 4.0 will also be doubling speeds sometime in 2015:

http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/faqs/FAQ_PCI_Express_4.0/

But TB3 will be plenty fast for lots of use cases!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]