David Mathis
OT: Time for a Hit Film forum?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 6:54:27 pm

Any chance for a Hit Film forum?

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: OT: Time for a Hit Film forum?
on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:32:31 pm

We have one! It also covers film history, the best of TV (which can exceed anything on the big screen), and everything from commercials to Star Wars pancakes....and lots and lots of hit film stuff.

In fact, it started life as a film history nerd forum, but there's too much else to talk about. This business of ours is fun to work in, even fun to argue about, but our work is also fun to WATCH. I've always wanted to have much more talk about THAT here in the COW.

The forum is kind of quiet because not many people know about it -- just over a half-dozen regular contributors -- but I'd LOVE to see you there!

Creative COW's TV & Movie Appreciation forum.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:57:42 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:57:57 pm

I think David meant Hit Film the software maker. ;)

http://hitfilm.com/

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 21, 2014 at 7:59:55 pm

That would be correct but the other forum sounds very interesting. Will be happy to take a look at it. Love to learn new stuff everyday, keeps the brain working and the wheels from squeaking. :)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:04:54 pm

Dang! Got my hopes up high, only to have them dashed once again. So post in that other forum and cheer me up.

As for the other, as far as I can tell this is one of the first mentions of it. It'll take a lot more than that. :-)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 21, 2014 at 8:24:49 pm

Just did, and want to let you know you are doing a great job. :)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 21, 2014 at 9:19:14 pm

Ha! You're awesome. Thanks! Definitely cheered me up. :-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 22, 2014 at 1:17:11 am

I'll second the desire for a hitfilm forum. A couple days ago I downloaded the demo. It's like a little baby smoke. 3D and FX, But the editor is meh. Doesn't even have Jkl playback. And trimming is rudimentary. (But at least they have a 4up display!) I'm looking at it as a replacement or compliment to AE. It comes with hitfilm mocha, which is pretty slick of course. It's very geared to the indie film market from what I've seen.

I'm doing a lot of demos lately tying to replace Adobe wherever I can so that I can only rent an app when necessary. AE is the tough one. I've pretty much replaced PS and AI with Pixelmator and iDraw. It's a little easier since Adobe didn't come out with any earth shattering updates at NAB. That I can think of anyway.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:01:32 am

How well does Pixelmator work with Motion at the moment?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:15:16 am

Not sure. I'm testing it with an AE template as we speak and it's fine. It's one of the few out there that can open and save psd files, and retain the text in it's correct format. In this instance, I was able to open up some multi-layered psds from the template and change a layer and save as psd (if you just hit save it saves as a layered pixelmator file) and it all linked back up to the new layer in AE just fine.

It is definitely missing the high end photoshop stuff like 3D animation and surface painting (what, don't you use that daily? :) ) And the fact that it doesn't have tabbed windows drives me a little batty. I'd also like to have it have a solid background view so you don't see the desktop around your images.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 22, 2014 at 5:31:26 am

Thanks. Right now I don't think I will need the high-end features. Just would like to do a basic title sequence 50s style, so this looks like it might be a good fit for that. The fact that it can save out PSD files (should my understanding be correct) is a big win.

It has a nice price, so will have to give it a try. Keep hoping there is a real Photoshop alternative. Really do not like the idea of paying monthly rent for software.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]