FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT - QT7 Pro question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
OT - QT7 Pro question
on Apr 18, 2014 at 10:03:15 am

Hi, sorry couldn't see a forum for QT7 so thought I'd try here.

I use the Pro feature to convert files to Pro Res, and also the h.264 codec for delivery via Vimeo.

Is there a way of setting up my own 'favourites' of presets (codec, dimensions, kbps rates) so I can just click on a favourite each time i ned a convert rather than having to manually set them up?

Can't see one, but thought i'd ask in case anyone knows.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
Re: OT - QT7 Pro question
on Apr 18, 2014 at 12:42:31 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I use the Pro feature to convert files to Pro Res, and also the h.264 codec for delivery via Vimeo.

Is there a way of setting up my own 'favourites' of presets (codec, dimensions, kbps rates) so I can just click on a favourite each time i ned a convert rather than having to manually set them up?

Can't see one, but thought i'd ask in case anyone knows."

Julian,

One alternative would be to build presets in Compressor (they are referred to as "Settings") and save them as Droplets. Once you have the Droplets saved you simply drag files on to the Droplet icon to initialize.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:34:43 pm

can i use those 'droplets' in QT7, or does this mean using compressor as my converter?

And thanks :)

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:55:57 pm

[Julian Bowman] "can i use those 'droplets' in QT7, or does this mean using compressor as my converter?

And thanks :)"

The underlying transcoder would be Compressor. Any reason why you would need to use QT7 Pro instead?

-paul.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2014 at 1:55:50 pm

Just curious why you'd use QT7 for this?

Why not use fcpx direct upload to vimeo, or fcpx optimize settings?

Or Compressor settings in X as mentioned?

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:27:20 pm

I never directly upload, just my thing. And using QT7 is quicker and easier to do than Compressor, at least it feels like it is. May look into compressor again, but open with QT7 and convert. Only thing that slows me down is changing my settings.

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:34:40 pm

[Julian Bowman] "I never directly upload, just my thing. And using QT7 is quicker and easier to do than Compressor, at least it feels like it is. May look into compressor again, but open with QT7 and convert. Only thing that slows me down is changing my settings."

You'll find the workflow much more efficient if you take the time to build a few "Presets" in Compressor. In fact you may not need to create Droplets once you have your Settings saved and available. It all depends on how you decide to use it.

As far as encoding speed, not sure about that. I know that QT7 is legacy software. And, I think Compressor is still heavily based on the old QT API's. In fact to my knowledge it's still a 32 bit application.

So yeah - get those Compressor settings built and see how it goes ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 18, 2014 at 3:36:36 pm

Ok, will spend a bit of time and try and shift my thinking :) Guess I just got used to QT7 doing what I needed :)

thanks for the pointers :)

Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:13:43 pm

[Julian Bowman] "Ok, will spend a bit of time and try and shift my thinking :) Guess I just got used to QT7 doing what I needed :)

thanks for the pointers :)"

Cool. We'll help you set it up if you need a hand ...

-paul.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 18, 2014 at 4:38:11 pm

+1 to what Paul says. Also;

[Julian Bowman] "I never directly upload, just my thing. "

I always said that until I started doing it.

[Julian Bowman] "And using QT7 is quicker and easier to do than Compressor, at least it feels like it is."

Compressor allows much more control and better quality. Compressor 4 (and the ProApps in general) now have high profile h264 encoding, and the quality is really very good. Once you get the settings figured out, they will work in both Compressor and FCPX which is really a very cool workflow. Compressor and FCPX share a render pipeline, so you can encode right form FCPX using Compressor settings, and then set those up in the "Share" menu right out of FCPX.

It's cool, did I say it was cool?

This is also worth a read: http://www.larryjordan.biz/compressor-4-1-hardware-acceleration/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:11:06 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " Compressor and FCPX share a render pipeline, so you can encode right form FCPX using Compressor settings, and then set those up in the "Share" menu right out of FCPX.

It's cool, did I say it was cool? "

It's very cool indeed. And another great thing is being able to set up a bundle.

If I'm exporting a client review copy from FCP X, I also like usually having a master file as well, just to be on the safe side. Setting up a bundle means I can do both in one hit. Or more ...

Great concept.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:58:15 pm

I second everything presented here. Compressor 3.5 in conjunction with FCP7 works well, but always seemed rather a kludge in interface and organization. Compressor 4 w/FCPX is much neater and streamlined, yet the controls are still there if you need them.

The Droplet procedure is excellent.

Julian, I too will sometimes compress first, then upload. And I also do a "bundle" of Master file and h.264 for Vimeo.

Compressor uses the same settings whether you share directly to Vimeo or use the Vimeo h.264 settings.

Here is an example of compressing now and uploading later: You post a clip to Vimeo. Then you remake it-- correcting some titles or re-editing it slightly. If you "Share" out of FCPX it will upload to Vimeo as a completely new clip, with its own URL. Fine, if you want version 1 and version 2 BOTH available to your viewers.

But often you DON'T want a new clip. I have embeds that sometimes need updating; I don't want to go back and rewrite webpage code. Or worse, I have already blasted out a Vimeo link to everyone, then discover I need to make a change. So I use Vimeo's great "Replace this video" feature - uploading my fixed version, overwriting the original and retaining the same URL. People using the link don't even realize they are seeing a new "fixed" version.

To do that, you must first compress to your hard drive, then choose the h.264 file when Vimeo asks for the "replacement" video. As far as I can figure, there is no way to have the otherwise awesome and quick "Share to Vimeo" feature do such a replacement..

Doug D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]