FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:40:56 pm

So, I had really bad performance issues with FCPX on my new mac dustbin. I have posted here about it. I took the machine into the Apple store and they did a base level scan and said it seemed fine. I also had a chat with a lad who made some suggestions etc. with regards to trouble shooting and seeing if it is a plugin conflict.

I haven't had any time to test it so have been soldiering on.

yesterday I went to export an edit and everytime I tried FCPX crashed. Then I tried rendering, same thing. I then deleted the text plugin I had used, one I owned but had never used before, and everything was fine.

It was made by Pixel Film Studios, a company I am not overly enamoured with after the ripping off of motionvfx event and mainly because they seem to release a lot of rather poor plugins (look good in the trailer, reality is they aren't). So I deleted every plugin I had installed by them, and although I haven't had the time to test old projects I really struggled with, simply using FCPX seems much quicker and slicker already.

So, currently it is only anecdotal and I will do a fuller test, but deleting their plugins definitely makes everything feel a lot better inside the app.

Just thought I'd share in case others are having issues with FCPX and have Pixel plugins installed.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Issues with FCPX, mac dustbin and anecdotal resolution
on Apr 16, 2014 at 6:54:10 pm

Good to know, thanks!

We sometimes have performance issues, and I think we have one plug-in from them. I'm not a fan of the company because of the same reasons you posted, but they had a plug-in that seemed worthwile for our work. Haven't tested it, but thanks for the update.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 16, 2014 at 7:49:29 pm

And that's why I avoid FX Factory and most 3rd party plugins as well. You just don't know what's going on under the hood.

Great example was just this week - we're doing an update to our FCPX On Air series and I couldn't get screen recording to work via QuickTime. This was a problem that had gone on for months and I wrote it off to a Mavericks issue. Then I updated my Blackmagic Drivers and suddenly Screen Recording worked again.

It's a challenge because FCPX needs 3rd parties for lots of things, but when they can't control what the 3rd parties do it opens the door for lots of issues. At least Apps (like X2Pro) don't screw up FCPX because of the whole sandboxing thing.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 17, 2014 at 12:05:54 am

I did go on record years ago saying I had reservations about excessive need for third parties to do basic functions. My recent FCPX job threw up some issues with getting audio out.

Getting pictures in Resolve was fine on the way in but returning to X was an issue as I had to render the grades to my internal drive and then dump the folder onto the external. X just couldn't reconnect until the editor opened the project in Resolve at his end and it reconnected. He then made an new xml and this time X was fine.

So still I have concerns about third party round tripping for normal workflows that include post facilities.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2014 at 1:25:59 am

How is X to Resolve to X a third party workflow? It's all FCPXML, no?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 17, 2014 at 2:12:12 am

Jeremy it was xto7 for the audio. Dogs breakfast. Clips that should have been enabled were disabled. Clips were not organised by roles into sensible tracks. Music tracks had to be refitted - wouldn't connect. X - Xto7 - FCP7 - OMF to Fairlight. Far too many steps.

Then X to Resolve and back to X for pictures via FCPXml. On the return X couldn't reconnect to the grade files without a fiddle to reconnect in the editors Resolve and make another xml. However the discussion of third parties is more to do with needing outside software to do the basics of audio export.

After two years it continues to be a cludge. And I was reacting to the topic of this thread that sometimes third party plugin software can have a detrimental effect on the primary NLE software. Tight integration with developers is needed but not particularly something Apple is known for.

If Resolve 11 is as good an edit/ finishing tool as it seems to be then I expect every editor to get their project into R11 first to deliver to me. I would be happy if R11 is the only step from every NLE into post finishing and no round trip returning. Lets see if they put OMF/AAF export in R11.It isn't rocket science.

Meanwhile I am talking to Fairlight about reading FCPXmls directly like they did with FCP7. Apple may think they can ignore industry standard interchange formats and develop yet another but it hardly makes me respect them and the years of grief.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Apr 17, 2014 at 4:19:44 am

I should clarify that although Resolve 10 does have AAF export already it is the whole timeline, picture and sound. I am talking about options to consolidate with handles and do Vid, audio or any combination rather than a no option AAF of everything.

So they are closer already than FCPX.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2014 at 4:08:45 pm

[Michael Gissing] "X - Xto7 - FCP7 - OMF to Fairlight. Far too many steps. "

I totally agree.

Fairlight won't take an AAF? I have had zero issues with X2Pro. It is very solid, and audio engineers have liked what I have sent over in terms of organization. Yes, it costs money.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 17, 2014 at 5:10:32 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Apr 17, 2014 at 5:13:33 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have had zero issues with X2Pro. It is very solid, and audio engineers have liked what I have sent over in terms of organization. Yes, it costs money."

Same experience here, pretty much bulletproof. I do use the "Pro" version though. The LE version lacks a lot of the features (role sorting/handles etc) that make it useful...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 17, 2014 at 1:25:40 am

[John Davidson] "And that's why I avoid FX Factory and most 3rd party plugins as well. You just don't know what's going on under the hood."

Me too, though I did just install fxfactory to use one specific plugin. First thing i did was disable everything. Then I DL's the single one I needed. ;-)

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on Apr 17, 2014 at 4:06:19 am

Oh darn! I just had my eyes set on the SliceX/Track X bundle:(
Probably won't buy it for now.

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 17, 2014 at 4:11:39 am

[Kannan Raghavan] "Oh darn! I just had my eyes set on the SliceX/Track X bundle:(
Probably won't buy it for now."

Totally different company. CoreMelt plugins work great, and they are super responsive if one does have issues. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2014 at 6:11:55 pm

[Kannan Raghavan] "Oh darn! I just had my eyes set on the SliceX/Track X bundle:(
Probably won't buy it for now.
"

It's a wonderful little addition to FCPX.

Coremelt is awesome. Download the demo and give it a shot.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:10:56 am

I actually am very happy with FxFactory.

You just disable everything you don't use, and it's like an app store for plugins. Very easy. You buy them, just log-in with your account and they are there.

And the fact that you can try out all plugins with a watermark is fantastic. Good testing ground to see if the plugin does what you need it to do before buying.

I think, if I'm reading this thread correctly, that... software can always have trouble. Doing upgrades is always dangerous.

People here talk about an FCPX plugin, but also straight XML's, and BlackMagic Drivers, etc.
The truth is, you often just NEED those products.

We once had a Aja Io HD and the FCP 7 update, and those 2 would be very glitchy for about 6 months. You would update one, the other wouldn't work, etc. ...
I don't know if it is specifically an FCPX-issue, although relying on 3rd party products makes it maybe worse. On the other hand, for FCP7 we ultimately also had 3rd party products. Some 3rd party products are great and get updated very fast, others... not so.
Difficult to judge them equally.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 17, 2014 at 8:36:13 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "I actually am very happy with FxFactory."

Can I second that?

As far as I'm concerned, FxFactory is probably the most reliable plug-in platform there is and they take support very seriously indeed - they've been in business for a long time and have many very happy customers.

If you have you any problems at all, please do contact them directly - they are really quick to respond and are generally really good guys.

Every plug-in in, whatever the host application and from whatever distributor, is a potential issue, depending on an enormous range of factors, especially when Apple keep shifting the goalposts without necessarily telling everyone what's actually going on.

There are some very unscrupulous and slipshod plug-in distributors and developers out there, but FxFactory are really not among their number.

Disclaimer - as a developer, I distribute through FxFactory and find them incredibly knowledgeable and adaptable and always trying to improve their service. And believe me, I am very quick to criticise!

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:11:59 pm

[John Davidson] "And that's why I avoid FX Factory and most 3rd party plugins as well."

Hi John,

I'm not sure why you are referencing FxFactory in this context.

The issue Julian had was specifically with a product from the (shall we say?) notorious Pixel Film Studios, or whatever they're calling themselves these days.

I am perfectly prepared to accept that there may have been issues with one of their "products" but ...

How does this relate to FxFactory?

Are there particular issues you have had with FxFactory in the past?

Have you alerted FxFactory to any specific concerns you have had over a specific plug-in?

Have you discussed your concerns with the developer of that specific product?

All I can say, is that in my experience, FxFactory take customer satisfaction very seriously indeed which probably accounts for the high regard in which they are held in the industry.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:32:10 pm

There's nothing in particular wrong with FX Factory per se. In fact, there's nothing wrong with any plugin manufacturer. However, the more you add to a system that isn't directly controlled by Apple and it's programmers, the more likely you are to have issues with it. Therefore I avoid anything that isn't home brewed by my team.

We have this program that is relatively lightweight, doesn't require any subscriptions, isn't dialing home every 4 minutes, and is designed to let you quickly and easily copy libraries, events, and projects to other users who can very quickly and easily open those elements as needed. While FX Factory does give you many excellent plugins to use, it basically negates everything great that I described in the first sentence of this paragraph.

It's a hard stance for me to take, I know. However, I think one of the reasons we've been successfully using FCPX in a broadcast environment for over two years now is because I take that hard stance. I've asked Apple to consider allowing FCPX plugins to be sold in the app store, but since that would violate sandboxing rules, they can't.

FX Factory is great if you're a one man band, but for us I just avoid it because my system now lets me buy a new mac, sync all our home brewed generators, effects, and transitions to it, and we're off to the races. I can then share those home built elements with any client upon delivery of their project. For me it's all about simplicity and portability.

I hope that makes sense. Absolutely I don't mean to disparage FX Factory and the hard work that team does - as well as all their excellent developers like you. I do follow all the apple discussion forums though, and one of the first things we look for when someone has a problem in FCPX is - "what 3rd party plugins do you have installed". When we're mission critical and have two hours before a delivery to a network - that is not a hunt I want to be on, you know?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:49:07 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 17, 2014 at 10:58:02 pm

[John Davidson] "FX Factory is great if you're a one man band, but for us I just avoid it because my system now lets me buy a new mac, sync all our home brewed generators, effects, and transitions to it, and we're off to the races. I can then share those home built elements with any client upon delivery of their project. For me it's all about simplicity and portability. "

I think this is, really, the only "disparaging" thing about FXFactory.

I generally like the FXFactory store interface. Plugins are usually the biggest drag to try and setup a new system, as well as migrate from one machine to another, or interact with multiple users.

If FXFactory had a record stored of your purchases, and allowed you to download those purchases to whatever computer (I know, it's an AppStore model and therefore not every plugin developer's friend) it would be a killer app. Or some sort of site license, or something. Right now, it's a very "individual" model and I get that, but it'd be nice if it were easier for multiple users.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:47:46 am

Jeremy, isn't it already kind of like that? We have 3 computers at work. We log in with the same account on FXfactory and we download our plug-ins. It shows you automatically which Ones you bought.
The only one not to download automatically was the dashwood 3d plug-in, last time I installed a new computer.

We do have a separate text document with all our licenses for plug-ins listed. Just in case.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 18, 2014 at 5:27:21 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:02:50 pm

[John Davidson] "There's nothing in particular wrong with FX Factory per se. In fact, there's nothing wrong with any plugin manufacturer. However, the more you add to a system that isn't directly controlled by Apple and it's programmers, the more likely you are to have issues with it. Therefore I avoid anything that isn't home brewed by my team."

I can understand your position in wanting a clean, safe environment free of risk and in principle that's clearly a sound business decision that we should all be emulating - but there's risk and risk.

I just wanted to point out that there's a world of difference between buying a plug-in from FxFactory and buying one from one of the very many more questionable operations that have sprung up to exploit the opportunities presented by FCP X.

Mentioning FxFactory specifically in relation to an issue raised by a plug-in from Pixel Film Studios seemed like a particularly low blow - though I'm sure you didn't mean it that way.

FxFactory have been around for 10 years, long before FCP X was ever thought of, and have been providing plug-ins for FCP Legacy, Premiere, After Effects and Motion from a number of very well-respected developers - people like Graeme Nattress and Tim Dashwood among others, as well as Gabe's own seriously extensive array of tools.

Gabe and Niclas have built an extremely robust and sophisticated ecosystem for the delivery of these plug-ins that is really far superior to anything else out there in my view. As Mathieu points out below, handling multiple licenses in a multi-seat environment should be pretty straightforward with this system - maybe it's not perfectly suited to the way you work but it's impressively streamlined, I think. If there's something that you can imagine they should be doing better, I really do suggest you let them know, as Gabe works tirelessly to make the system better.

To extrapolate from saying that some plug-ins cause issues to saying that therefore all plug-ins should be avoided is not I think a reasonable position.

Though of course, I would say all that ;-)

I also suspect that you're not fully consistent in your avoidance of third party solutions. I can't remember what you've said about this but I'm presuming you need to get audio out of FCP X for finishing and hence must be using X2Pro. As we know, Apple has left certain chunks of the FCP X environment deliberately uncatered for which means that third party solutions are a necessity for many of us.

Is there really any difference in risk between using X2Pro and, say, Dashwood's Stereo3D Toolbox? I don't really see it myself.

I'd also suggest that however impressive the skills of your Motion team and much as I like Motion myself, there are tasks that it's simply beyond Motion to be able to deliver on, which is where properly designed and executed plug-ins can really speed up your workflow. (Not mine, of course - they're all rubbish.) And as much as the avoidance of risk is an important consideration, so also is delivering the end product quickly and efficiently.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:20:25 pm

Given I started this post, can I say I use FX Factory and can't say I've had issues with them. Also their customer service has been awesome. I would feel a lot happier if some other 3rd party plug in makers sold through them as I would feel more secure in buying them due to a belief their is a higher quality control.... but perhaps that is why others aren't with them... who knows.

In addition I have done another days edit after removing the Pixel stuff and I definitely get the feel that things are running a bit smoother. I've also deleted some random freebies i pick up here and there but never use and will stop being lazy in getting rid of stuff I don't really use, hopefully reducing the load on FCPX.

I also bought and used slice x / track x, and damn that is good. Totally off topic, but it is quite an exciting plugin.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 17, 2014 at 4:49:23 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Apr 17, 2014 at 9:32:22 pm

I have purchased a few FX Factory plug-ins but have not ran into real issues with one exception. I ran an update but kept getting an error message. Did a clean install from the ground up and the update worked with no further issues. This was back on Mountain Lion, and a software update to the OS was probably corrupted causing the issue.

I did contact customer support and they were very helpful. I do not remember who I talked to but they gave really great support.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]