FORUMS: list search recent posts

Monitoring out with new Mac Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Monitoring out with new Mac Pro?
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:49:29 pm

To new Mac Pro users: what are you using to monitor out from FCP X? I'm referring to say using a 42" display for client viewing, not as a replacement for your computer monitor.

It appears that it needs to be something that has a driver to tell FCP X that it's there. It looks to me like the obvious choices are:

• AJA Io ($1495-1995)
• Black Magic UltraStudio 4K ($995)

I'm not sure if these have drivers:

Black Magic UltraStudio Express ($495)
Black Magic UltraStudio Mini Monitor ($145)

So, anyway, anybody have anything that works and you're happy with that shows up under AV Output in FCPX?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: Monitoring out with new Mac Pro?
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:57:02 pm

I think most of your examples work.

Aja has the T-Tap, which is about 180 dollars or something. It works, you just need to download their Control Panel software, and it appears under the FCPX preferences, we use it often for clients.

To be honest, with the new Mac Pro I *think* (but I"m not sure) you can use the HDMI output that's on the machine itself, as an output in FCPX.
Again, I could be wrong. But could be you are limited to 8-bit then, while the Aja and Black Magic solutions work in 10bit.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:03:41 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "To be honest, with the new Mac Pro I *think* (but I"m not sure) you can use the HDMI output that's on the machine itself, as an output in FCPX.
Again, I could be wrong. But could be you are limited to 8-bit then, while the Aja and Black Magic solutions work in 10bit."

Thanks Mathieu... I'll look at the T-tap.

As for the Mac Pro, HDMI, haven't gotten it to work yet. It appears to be tied to the monitor display circuit. Anything attached to it, seems to adjust the main monitor resolution as well. I may have forgotten to check the display prefs... perhaps mirroring is on... I'll check that.

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:08:51 pm

Why the t-tap over the BMD mini-monitor? Isn't the t-tap nearly twice as much? And Resolve support is a plus.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:21:45 pm

Resolve support is indeed a plus.

But the OP was asking for advice, and he had already the Black Magic Monitor listed, so I thought I would give an extra option, and one that I have personal experience with, works perfectly.

There are some differences though. One of them being the T-Tap works with 2K and does resizing if necessary.

http://provideocoalition.com/atepper/story/ultrastudio_mini_monitor_competi...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:07:20 pm

On the HDMI out, from what I've seen the HDMI has to be on and functioning as an extended desktop (not mirroring), then launch FCP X and it will see it. It's not as true as a BMD or AJA device. It is operating in computer monitor type color space. For example, I can hook it up to the DVI port (with an HDMI adapter) on my flanders scientific, but I have to switch the input mode of the DVI to RGB, not YUV. If I hook up a BMD device like my ultra studio via HDMI to this same DVI port, it operates as YUV. Also, it's still functioning as a computer monitor. You can run your mouse over the image while it's playing. I don't think it will support interlaced.

But that's just my experience using the HDMI port on my 5770 GPU on my old (2006) mac pro. The nMP may work differently, but from what I've heard from users it doesn't appear to.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
Re: Monitoring out with new Mac Pro... might have a cheap solution
on Apr 16, 2014 at 2:24:27 pm

[Bret Williams] "The nMP may work differently, but from what I've heard from users it doesn't appear to."

Actually, it appears to work differently. Using the MacPro HDMI, I get AV Output grayed out (unavailable) in FCP X... even with mirroring off. It basically acts like a second computer monitor.

I did discover something interesting though. Using a $25 Thunderbolt to HDMI cable (Rocketfish) that we had laying around for laptop presentations, seems to work. Plugging the HDMI monitor into the TB output makes the AV Output option in FCP active. I can then get it to work as a preview monitor without affecting the computer monitor.

It would seem to me that Apple could make the HDMI port on the new Mac Pro work this way if they wanted to. Perhaps an OS update or a minor change in FCP X to recognize the HDMI port on the new Mac Pro? This would seem to be a "no-brainer" and something Apple might want to do... and fairly quickly.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:26:49 pm

Apple does advertise that it works as a video out on the nMP. So I think something is weird on your system. As long as the TV/Monitor is on (and set to HDMI input) and you can see the extended desktop, it should work. It is not supposed to be a broadcast video out like Aja or BMD. That's a whole different type of HDMI. It's supposed to be like the FCP 7 desktop preview is my understanding.

it's working as an extended desktop on my system. The flanders monitor is a second computer monitor. But when you launch FCP X it covers that with the output from the app.

I'm using a PC 5770 that has an HDMI. It's flashed to mac. So it's amazing that it supports the function at all. Especially on a 2006 MacPro that's been jury rigged to run Mavericks and 10.1. All just for amusement. I don't use that system to edit anymore. I use an iMac with an ultra studio express.

Return to posts index

Glenn Grant
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:37:21 pm

Bret,

Does this work with two other monitors attached or only one? I can't seem to get the HDMI to work on my 5770 also flashed for Mac.

Is it limited to 2 monitors total?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:40:10 pm

If memory serves me, the 5770 does support 3 monitors, but only on a PC. On the mac, I was only able to get it to support 2. Currently, I have it hooked up to a dell with the DVI, and a flanders scientific with the HDMI.

So definitely a downside. I wonder if that's an issue with the nMP? You'd think it'd support 3 monitors!

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Apr 17, 2014 at 4:07:45 pm

Can I connect more than 2 DVI or HDMI displays?

Mac Pro supports a total of two DVI or HDMI displays when connected via the built-in HDMI port or using the Apple Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter. To connect additional DVI displays, use an active DVI adapter such as the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter. You can connect up to six active adapter DVI displays. This requires a powered USB hub since Mac Pro offers four USB ports and you will need six to connect them all.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5918?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

[Glenn Grant] "s it limited to 2 monitors total?
"

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Bruce Payan
on Jul 3, 2014 at 12:33:30 am

"This requires a powered USB hub since Mac Pro offers four USB ports and you will need six to connect them all."

This has nothing to do with USB ports; there are six thunderbolt ports on a MacPro 2013. For six DVI monitors, 2 of these monitors have have passive TB->DVI adapters, the other 4 adapters must be active. The MP's HDMI connector counts as though it were a passive device.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:58:47 pm

I use straight HDMI out as a third monitor on my rMBP. From the FCPX 10.1. manual:

View playback on an external monitor using HDMI
If you’re using Final Cut Pro 10.1 or later on a 4K-capable Mac with an HDMI port, you can play 4K or HD 1080 video on an external video monitor connected to the HDMI port.
For a list of compatible Mac computers, go to http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6057.
1 Use an HDMI cable to connect the external (HDMI) video monitor to the HDMI port on your Mac,
and make sure the monitor is connected to power and turned on.
2 To configure the HDMI monitor, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and click Displays.
3 In Displays preferences, set the HDMI monitor to be a secondary display.
4 Select Scaled, and in the list that appears, select 4096 x 2160, 3840 x 2160, 1080i, or 1080p.
Note: You may need to press the Option key while you click Scaled to see additional resolutions for the HDMI monitor.
5 To select the monitor in Final Cut Pro, choose Final Cut Pro > Preferences (or press Command- Comma), click Playback, and choose the HDMI monitor from the A/V Output pop-up menu.
6 In Final Cut Pro, choose Window > A/V Output.
The Viewer contents appear on the HDMI monitor. Viewer features (such as onscreen controls
and the title-safe and action-safe overlays) can be viewed only in Final Cut Pro. Note: Video and audio are synced at the video frame (not audio sample) level.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:15:40 pm

Thank you for this. I had everything except #5. Now it works...

Been up too many hours. Shouldn't drive when you're tired and probably shouldn't post either...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Nate McCallister
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:12:56 pm

We have two Samsung 4k monitors (U28E590) for editing and a Vizio 4k 50" TV (E50u-D2) for client review. This is running off a 2013 Mac Pro running OS X 10.11.6 and FCPX 10.2.3. The two monitors are Thunderbolt to DisplayPort and the TV is HDMI. This enables us to run 3x 4k displays off the Mac Pro.

When setting up A/V Output in FCPX I found that the item was grayed out in the menu unless the TV was set to 3840x2160 or 1920x1080 in OS X Display Preferences. Once I set the TV to 1080 or 4k, A/V Output was available in the FCPX Window drop down.

The issue we found is that the playback on the TV lags behind the audio of the computer. Not much but definitely enough to bother the client. If you send the audio to the TV as well it is still out of sync. Apple states, "Video and audio are synced at the video frame (not audio sample) level" so I assume sync is pretty much dependent on how fast your TV is as there is not offset setting in OS X.

Hope this helps those that cannot get their TV to show up under A/V Output.

P.S. if any of you have a fix for the audio sync it would be fantastic!

Video Editor & Producer
FCPX / Adobe Premiere Pro
http://www.natemccallister.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]