FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 11 video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ricardo Marty
Resolve 11 video
on Apr 12, 2014 at 5:59:04 pm

In the demo video I noticed that that resolve had 2 default bins in the broweser. I know no one has it yet but maybe those who saw it at nab could know.

1- Media pool
2- Timeline

Question

Would this timline bin be nested sequences?,clips on timeline? or something else?

Thanks
Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Resolve 11 video
on Apr 13, 2014 at 7:05:50 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Apr 13, 2014 at 7:47:21 pm

Working and finding my around in version 10 at the moment and everything below applies to the current version

I think the timeline bin is just for any timeline (sequence) you create. There are no nested sequences in the current version but you can do compound clips. Only downside is that you can not modify the compound clip.

Media pool, if my understanding is correct is where you import your footage. You can create new bins and move clips from bin to another.

Right now, after watching and reading further, looks like Resolve 11 is not a full featured editor at this point. So for now it is X for editing and some finishing tasks. Mainly titles and transitions, probably will do more high-end finishing tasks in Resolve because of better keyframing capabilities. Question now becomes will I need the same plug-ins for both X and Resolve or will I need them just for one but not the other? Look forward to using both FCP and Resolve together.

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 13, 2014 at 10:46:42 pm

thanks for the info, looked like pretty good cutter on the bm site where does it fail?

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2014 at 5:11:53 am

No where does it fail. I think it is a solid finishing and color grading application with new editing features. As of now, really do not see it as direct competition to any editing software out there as of now. I think it was designed to allow people to edit with any software they choose and adopt any workflow that meets their needs. Then they can bring in their timeline, make any last minute changes such as any necessary trimming, and go from there.

I see it as part of well rounded workflow along with FCP X and Motion in the mix. With even more OFX support, this product has evolved into something great. I really appreciate the hard work the Black Magic Design team put into this new version. Have yet to use it but I really love what I see. Great time to be an editor!

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:54:32 am
Last Edited By Jamie Franklin on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:55:25 am

[David Mathis] " Look forward to using both FCP and Resolve together."

Home movies will never look better!

[David Mathis] "Resolve 11 is not a full featured editor at this point"

Nor should it be, but that certainly looks like the direction it's headed. Instead of flushing out a solid conform timeline, since 8, BM have made the playhead a schizophrenic - mind of it's own - hot mess and now forces us to slug and bring in pre-made blacks, slates and bars...and for fun changes a years worth of muscle memory on every release...

But, it's free. Just like FCx should be...

:D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2014 at 5:00:05 am

It's certainly all interesting. But I have the top of the line 2012 iMac, and editing in Resolve 10 is really useless. Not the features, but the app. It won't playback squat without stuttering and dropping frames. Half the projects I XML over to it come up with a GPU memory low error and won't even display. I have the best 2gig GPU you can get in an iMac. It should play fine. But even on SD material set to display SD, conform SD, etc. across the board it can't keep up. Audio crackles, and soon the memory is full (I have 32gigs) and it slows to about 3fps. This is all without any corrections. Just the edit/conform stage.

They'll have to actually make it viable on an iMac in the edit stage. I can handle losing playback in the color page. But raw media playback should be simple.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 14, 2014 at 3:57:57 pm

Tell us about the high-speed raid you're using to eliminate this bottleneck you're experiencing?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:41:03 pm

Pegasus R4. Raid 5.

But I'm happy again. Updated the new BMD drivers and all is well again. For now. It seems to come and go.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:12:29 pm

[Bret Williams] "Pegasus R4. Raid 5.

But I'm happy again. Updated the new BMD drivers and all is well again. For now. It seems to come and go."

Glad to hear... didn't make sense that you were having such a huge issue...

[Bret Williams] "That's what I've always done. A bin called sequences in Avid and FCP legacy. And in FCP X I create an event called Media and a Event called sequences. Keeps them separate."

Yep... only this doesn't require a workaround... built in as it should be...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:22:11 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:32:52 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Yep... only this doesn't require a workaround... built in as it should be..."

So making a bin/folder/collection is now a workaround? :-) What if I want to automatically sort my sequences into multiple "bins" labeled WIP's, Active Cuts, Versions Sent to Client, Junk/Test Cuts ...etc? How would I do that?

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 16, 2014 at 5:39:22 am

I believe I saw them making additional folders inside it... as for sorting, I actually didn't ask... to damn busy dealing with the shock and awe of the things it did better than FCP X...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 16, 2014 at 5:43:48 am

[Mitch Ives] "I actually didn't ask... to damn busy dealing with the shock and awe of the things it did better than FCP X..."

:-) Other than Color Correcting (duh...) the 2/4 up display when KB trimming, (and I guess asymmetric trimming) and bezier curves in all the clip animations not just compositing... what were those things? Tracks don't count. :-)

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 16, 2014 at 12:33:34 pm

You know Charlie you're fighting this pretty hard. I'd suggest NOT using Resolve 11 at all, and just stay with X where you're happy...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 16, 2014 at 3:37:28 pm

[Mitch Ives] "You know Charlie you're fighting this pretty hard. I'd suggest NOT using Resolve 11 at all, and just stay with X where you're happy..."

lol... I'm really not fighting it, I look forward to checking it out. I'm coming at all these "debates" from the POV of someone who uses, or has used - really used, not just dabbled with - the 3 or 4 "major" NLE's (barring R11) we're "discussing". Obviously I like working in X. There are things that other NLE's do better and vice versa. R11 looks pretty cool to me. But to me it's no more what "FCP X should have been" than what MC or Pr or FCP 8 "should have been". So when I hear that opinion being put forward, I'm just trying to understand WTF everyone is talking about. :-)

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:19:18 pm

[Charlie Austin] "So when I hear that opinion being put forward, I'm just trying to understand WTF everyone is talking about. :-)"

Ahhh... so you want to understand things. Well if you're going to set the bar that high, then we'll all have to stop posting... :-)

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 16, 2014 at 4:37:13 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Ahhh... so you want to understand things. Well if you're going to set the bar that high, then we'll all have to stop posting... :-)"

lol :-)

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:00:38 pm

Media Pool is where all your media is stored. The Timeline folder stores all your timelines. Pretty intuitive, huh?

Everyone that was around me at the booth liked the idea of being able to locate timelines without having to wade through all the media clips.

Personally, I think it just makes sense... but I'm sure there are others who like their entire filing cabinet thrown into a single box...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:49:50 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Media Pool is where all your media is stored. The Timeline folder stores all your timelines. Pretty intuitive, huh?"

I like that organizing strategy. Now that the new version will allow for use of a two screen setup is going to be even better.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 14, 2014 at 5:09:00 pm

You cannot compare Resolve 10 with 11. 11 is definitely a FULL-FEATURED NLE - asymmetrical trimming and an audio mixer? Where are those in FCPX? From my demo at NAB it has everything just about anyone could need to edit most types of shows - no multi cam yet but BMD obviously has future plans. Hope it's stable when released...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 14, 2014 at 5:18:51 pm

I agree, and certainly looking forward to it being released. I will probably be using FCP X to do some additional finishing tasks, like lower thirds and custom transitions.

One question that I have not seen answered or discussed is how it will interact with Photoshop layers. I might have missed that somewhere.

Really look forward to getting on my computer. Looks like fun!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:27:11 am

[Lance Bachelder] "asymmetrical trimming"

No kidding huh? It's a miracle anyone was able to work in FCP 7 for all those years...

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 14, 2014 at 5:11:55 pm

that capability caught my eye because i thought i could see and open timelines other projects but maybe its the groundwork for it and other similar capabilities,

ricardo marty

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:43:34 pm

That's what I've always done. A bin called sequences in Avid and FCP legacy. And in FCP X I create an event called Media and a Event called sequences. Keeps them separate.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 15, 2014 at 4:22:38 am

[Bret Williams] "And in FCP X I create an event called Media and a Event called sequences. Keeps them separate."

Yep, or just make a smart collection looking for projects. Auto-bin. :-) Seems that's essentially what R11 is doing.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 15, 2014 at 5:28:16 am

Not really any different than R10. There's a section for media(pool) and a section for timelines. Looks to me like they just tabbed it.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 16, 2014 at 1:25:16 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Everyone that was around me at the booth liked the idea of being able to locate timelines without having to wade through all the media clips."

Maybe I am missing your point; You can't locate your timelines in X? Sounds like a simple organizational problem versus a software issue. I really like how X organizes Big buckets of footage (Library) and then Projects that are related to more organized sets of footage (Events). To each their own; I get it.

From what I hear from other forums and folks who have seen Resolve 11 (Avid folk, not X) they feel the product is still very alpha and has a long way to go. Lots of potential, but a long way to go. I think the combo of X and Resolve, (when ready) holds some very interesting potential. Tracks or not!

:-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]