FORUMS: list search recent posts

Five Days in Vegas – Notes from the field.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Five Days in Vegas – Notes from the field.
on Apr 11, 2014 at 7:25:13 pm

Somehow, I thought this NAB would be kinda dull. Don’t know why, but boy was I wrong. It was anything but. In fact, it was one of the most interesting NABs out of the 20 odd years I’ve been attending.

I was there, in part, reporting for another web site, which is why I “go dark” here during my time there. And I’m trying to find time to finish polishing about 15 video reports from the show floor for them – plus get my taxes finished and get back to my own hovering clients.

So just a few top of mind notes for all my friends (and enemies, if there are some left!) here.

First, it was a killer show for cameras.
4K was supposed to be the big story – and it was – particularly regards the looming battle in the affordable 4k-ish space. I got to do an extensive interview with Dan May of Black Magic including fondling the URSA and The Production Camera– and got a close up look at the AJA Cion. The “bang for the buck” in the camera space is going nuts.

I actually expected the “term of the year” to be "4k" – but it really wasn’t. Hands down the stand out word this year was “gimbal” – Must have heard that word three dozen times in conversations both participated in and overheard during the show.

Finally, Before I left town, I wrote a piece elsewhere for NAB newbies stressing that it’s not so much the "stuff" that makes a trip to NAB special, it’s the people you meet. And boy was that true this year. I met a boatload of truly wonderful people. The Supermeet was again epic. And the real prize was the Linked In requests that I got during the show – not from strangers, but from pros with whom I raised a glass (or 3) and got to know in the press room, the after parties, and in the suites off the show floor.

I posted on Facebook from the departure lounge that I thought this was one of the best NABs in years – and a significant number of my connections agreed.

Can’t wait for next year.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Five Days in Vegas – Notes from the field.
on Apr 11, 2014 at 7:40:07 pm

Sounds like a very interesting year, including some disruption over at the Adobe booth. I can only imagine the stress level there.

While not able to attend this year, was very impressed by the news. Not only here on the Cow but from various other sources. I think the team at Black Magic Design came out with some really impressive stuff this year -- studio cameras, the high end 4K camera and Resolve 11 was the cake along with the icing.

Disappointed but not surprised about no news from Apple on an update to FCP X, was really hoping for some type of announcement regarding a 10.1.2 release, hoping for next week. That being said, it is taking a very good direction and expect it to continue to do so.

There will be probably more exciting news to come, this year was very impressive.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 12, 2014 at 2:43:07 am

[David Mathis] "Disappointed but not surprised about no news from Apple on an update to FCP X, was really hoping for some type of announcement regarding a 10.1.2 release, hoping for next week. That being said, it is taking a very good direction and expect it to continue to do so."

There was an FCP X update... it's called Resolve 11 (sorry, couldn't resist)...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 12, 2014 at 3:03:55 am

[Mitch Ives] "There was an FCP X update... it's called Resolve 11"

No, that was an update to FCP 7. The X update is probably in the works, and will probably disappoint everyone but those who use it. I have no insider knowledge but... I'm pretty sure they're not bringing back tracks ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:40:30 am

[Charlie Austin] "No, that was an update to FCP 7. The X update is probably in the works, and will probably disappoint everyone but those who use it. I have no insider knowledge but... I'm pretty sure they're not bringing back tracks ;-)"

Spoken like someone who hasn't actually stood in front of it? It's more than tracks. It's a keyframe system that has you hoping Apple will steal it. The two guys behind me went "dammit" when they saw that. They both said why couldn't Apple do that?

It's a trimming system that feels more Apple than FCP X.

This is the first release. Lets see what it looks like in a year. Let's face it, Apple hasn't set the world on fire in the last three years in terms of progress either.

I honestly see R11 as filling in a lot of gaps in FCP X, I don't see it replacing it. Having said that, maybe it'll light a fire under Apple's posterior and we'll see some real progress and more filling in gaps? Pipe dream probably, but hey miracles can happen.

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 12, 2014 at 3:03:00 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Spoken like someone who hasn't actually stood in front of it? It's more than tracks. It's a keyframe system that has you hoping Apple will steal it. The two guys behind me went "dammit" when they saw that. They both said why couldn't Apple do that?"

You're misinterpreting me I think... I'm not criticizing R11. I've got 10, 11 looks really nice and I plan on DL'ing it as soon as it's available. I *am* criticizing the "this is what X should have been!" glee.

If this sort of timeline is what you've been waiting for, great. :-) I guess that I haven't been missing tracks as much as some people... ;-) I agree that it'd be nice if KB trimming in X activated the 2 up display (or maybe 4 someday) and Apple put bezier handles in all the Video Animation tabs, not just opacity...

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 13, 2014 at 1:44:39 am

[Charlie Austin] "If this sort of timeline is what you've been waiting for, great. :-) I guess that I haven't been missing tracks as much as some people... ;-) I agree that it'd be nice if KB trimming in X activated the 2 up display (or maybe 4 someday) and Apple put bezier handles in all the Video Animation tabs, not just opacity..."

Exactly my thoughts, but like you I use X. I do think R11 looks like the ultimate plugin for FCP X... assuming the back and forth is as seamless as BMD thinks...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 13, 2014 at 1:55:14 am

[Mitch Ives] "I do think R11 looks like the ultimate plugin for FCP X... assuming the back and forth is as seamless as BMD thinks..."

That's pretty much what I'm looking forward to. I suspect Apple is beefing up fcpxml with every update, so I hope it'll be pretty seamless as well :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 12, 2014 at 4:24:29 am

[Mitch Ives] "There was an FCP X update... it's called Resolve 11 (sorry, couldn't resist)..."

You sure that's not Resolve 11, the Color Corrector that thinks it's an NLE? - (operating war cry: We don't need no stinkin' DATABASE!)

I'm teasing of course.

I had great on-camera tour of all the new Black Magic stuff from BM President Dan May and am currently cutting it into web sized pieces in my spare time. Those guys at Black Magic are kicking tail. But seriously, Resolve's newly included editorial functions - while totally appropriate for cleaning up minor problems that make it to the grading stage, is no full featured editing platform. At least not this year.

I think it's more like approached shooting video on DSLRs - we were willing to live with the limitations because we got those incredible pictures at an amazing price, but when you get your paws on something like the C-300 that lets you get the big sensor and great glass - AND has robust audio and sophisticated monitoring capabilities - you kind remember what you've been missing in DSLR land.

Same with editing on Resolve, I expect. Of course, this is pure speculation, nobody I know has actually cut anything on it. So let your imaginations run wild. No harm in that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:49:18 am
Last Edited By Mitch Ives on Apr 12, 2014 at 10:51:02 am

[Bill Davis] "Resolve's newly included editorial functions - while totally appropriate for cleaning up minor problems that make it to the grading stage, is no full featured editing platform. At least not this year. "

I guess that depends on what you think an editing system is? If you think the database is the only thing that counts, then sure. If you think that the trimming functions in FCP X are pathetic, then you might feel otherwise. BMD's first attempt shows real genius.

If you find yourself asking why it took Apple three years to come up with a barely functioning system for managing keyframes, while BMD accidentally did it better the first time than Apple has after three years, then you might feel different. I guess it all depends on what kind of work you do, If you're all cuts and dissolves, none of this matters.

BTW, I thought the hybrid track thing was interesting. A single track that represents several tracks, yet can still have some track functionality was inspired. Sort of the best of both worlds. Felt very "Apple-esqe"... the old Apple anyway.

Apple's had three years. Imagine what R14 will look like? Hey Apple, feel that warm breath on your neck? Channel Steve and do what you used to be capable of... and do something inspiring with FCP X...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Apr 12, 2014 at 3:04:36 pm

[Mitch Ives] "If you think that the trimming functions in FCP X are pathetic, then you might feel otherwise. BMD's first attempt shows real genius."

I'm guessing that you do find the trimming functions in FCP X pathetic? What about the trim tools do you find lacking or not up to par?

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 13, 2014 at 11:18:26 pm

[Chris Northcross] "I'm guessing that you do find the trimming functions in FCP X pathetic? What about the trim tools do you find lacking or not up to par?"

Actually no. My post was a compendium of comments regarding FCP X. Some people believe the database warrants living with any short-coming... others think the trimming is pathetic( heard that one behind me in the BMD booth and again from someone else at the SuperMeet.

Do I think the trimming is great? No. One look at R11 and you see what I believe is a far more intuitive approach. I'll be interested in hearing other peoples comments once they use it...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 12, 2014 at 5:52:20 pm

[Mitch Ives] "If you think that the trimming functions in FCP X are pathetic"

Huh?

Last time I counted there were 32 keyboard shortcuts dedicated to some part of the trimming functions including selection of edit points, tops and tail operations, ripple and roll via keyboard selection and nudge keys, subframe audio trimming, trim to ranges (admittedly X specific since ranges exist in no other program), etc.

Add in that they put an entire module (the precision editor) to blow up any individual edit point and allow the editor to see the content on both sides of any cut and use all of the above- I'm having trouble reconciling the term "pathetic" with those capabilities..

But I'm open to possibly misunderstanding you, Mitch. And others, lets make this an open discussion - what is it about trimming operations that X is specifically missing?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 13, 2014 at 11:26:35 pm

[Bill Davis] "But I'm open to possibly misunderstanding you, Mitch. And others, lets make this an open discussion - what is it about trimming operations that X is specifically missing?"

Bill, this could be a long discussion and this week I'll be a bit pressed with the new Mac Pro arriving tomorrow and all the setup and transfer. In the meantime while others thrash this about, I'll comment briefly.

The first obvious answer is asymmetric trimming. If you don't use it I suppose it doesn't count. I never really understood it's value until I saw an Avid editor explain it to me. In some situations it's damn handy.

I don't think a myriad of keyboard shortcuts and ancillary windows are a replacement for a faster more intuitive method like R11. The way the tool can be changed to all trim options simply by mouse position. No keyboard commands required. The ability to choose which tracks (dirty word here I know) is also very useful. I suppose I should say choose which resources?

And of course the four up window is something to wish for in FCP X...

I'll try to watch this thread while I'm doing the edit equivalent of a tax audit... transferring TB's of files and installing all the programs from scratch... hope I'm not on suicide watch by the end of the week...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2014 at 4:46:40 am

You left out dynamic trimming. I'd put that one first. Not having dynamic trimming is pathetic in my book. Asymetric trimming is a cool demo, but I can't remember ever needing it. My brain just doesn't work asymmetrically. I don't think. Does it? Nah.

Return to posts index

Jok Daniel
on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:51:50 pm

[Bret Williams] "Asymetric trimming is a cool demo, but I can't remember ever needing it. "

Of course you need it, every editor does whether they know it or not :)

Asymmetric trimming isn't some kind of black art which is only useful in extremely rare circumstances, it's just a natural consequence of a well designed trim tool. A tool that lets you trim heads or tails as required, without imposing artificial limits.

Trimming the head of one clip (e.g. video) and the tail of another (e.g. audio) is hardly some kind of edge case, it’s an extremely common operation. Don’t you ever have a need to trim the head of a video clip, while taking the same number of frames off the tail of a music track? Why would you want to break such a common task into several discrete steps? With asymmetric trimming you do it in one step, and everything stays in sync automatically. Very handy, and I can't imagine editing without it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 14, 2014 at 7:32:17 pm

Where are you using it? 7 never had it. X doesn't have it. Premiere just got it. And BMD's isn't out yet.

I'm pretty sure we had it in Avid in 1998-2001, my Avid years.

Return to posts index

Jok Daniel
on Apr 15, 2014 at 8:14:32 am

[Bret Williams] "Where are you using it? 7 never had it. X doesn't have it. Premiere just got it. And BMD's isn't out yet."

Media Composer, where it's been around for as long as I can remember. Actually, I'm pretty sure 7 could do it too, it just never worked very well and I don't know anyone who ever used it. I tried, and gave up in disgust. :)

Of course, Lightworks has been doing it since the beginning of time, and it's still arguably the best of the bunch.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 15, 2014 at 12:14:47 pm

Here was Larry Jordan's reaction to it being added back in 2006. Kind of funny.

"I’ve of two-minds about this technique. I’m intrigued that Final Cut decided to include it and I can’t, for the life of me, figure out how it would be useful."

http://www.larryjordan.biz/asymmetric-trimming-in-the-timeline/

I wonder if reactions like that had them thinking it wasn't all that high a priority.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 15, 2014 at 7:18:19 pm

[Bret Williams] "You left out dynamic trimming. I'd put that one first. Not having dynamic trimming is pathetic in my book. Asymetric trimming is a cool demo, but I can't remember ever needing it. My brain just doesn't work asymmetrically. I don't think. Does it? Nah."

Yep... dashed it out quickly... I was hoping others would weigh-in and add to the list...

I find when you don't have a feature, you don't miss it. I find having something tends to make me explore it and then I often go "wow, how'd I get by without that"?

[Jok Daniel] "Asymmetric trimming isn't some kind of black art which is only useful in extremely rare circumstances, it's just a natural consequence of a well designed trim tool. A tool that lets you trim heads or tails as required, without imposing artificial limits."

Well said...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 12, 2014 at 11:36:02 pm

[Mitch Ives] "If you're all cuts and dissolves, none of this matters.
"

That's an interesting take on it when you consider that X was released with a new version of Motion, which makes it the opposite of cuts only.

The main reason I gave X a look in the beginning when others thought it was a toy, was I looked at the good reviews the new Motion was getting at the time.

I don't see that option in R 11 at this point.

X has a ton of audio tools. They moved the power of Logic into X
I didn't see that type of power in R 11 either, maybe it's hidden.

I think it's a tip of the hat to Apple to see them trying so hard to rip X off.

the inspector window, the straight up copy of those audio fade handles

those things are without getting into the organization I like in X and the "track-less" timeline.

They should have ripped off the skimmer also. I loooove me some skimmer : )

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 13, 2014 at 1:45:32 pm

I completely agree with you here Tony, there are so many thing that FCP does very well. I really began to like the software when 10.1 came out, this was far the biggest improvement. The only area that needs improvement is with key frames. It took me an adjustment period, but really enjoy working with the current version. It makes editing fun again.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 13, 2014 at 11:30:00 pm

Tony, not sure I understand completely, since I agree with your thoughts. I guess maybe I'm the only one that doesn't see it as an either/or choice. BMD clearly borrowed from X... now I'd like to see Apple borrow from R11...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:41:34 am

[Mitch Ives] "BMD clearly borrowed from X... now I'd like to see Apple borrow from R11..."

We agree, I would to.

The competition should make them all better, which will be better for us as editors : )

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 12, 2014 at 5:22:04 pm

It adds tracks. I like tracks. I mean I love tracks! :-)

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 15, 2014 at 6:08:57 pm

[David Mathis] "Sounds like a very interesting year, including some disruption over at the Adobe booth."

What happened at the Adobe booth? I know you said you weren't there, but apparently you heard something?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]