Re: AJA Camera - CION
on Apr 7, 2014 at 4:31:49 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It is a mad world out there!"

Poor Matrox. No camera.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 7, 2014 at 5:03:07 pm

Once again AJA have had their thunder stolen by BMD!

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2014 at 6:22:06 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Apr 7, 2014 at 8:14:18 pm

[Steve Connor] "Once again AJA have had their thunder stolen by BMD!"

That AJA camera looks really nice and allows double the frame rate of the URSA in RAW.

Oh, and of course you get AJA's legendary support.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:14:16 pm
Last Edited By Tom Sefton on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:16:39 pm

Any ballpark figures for how much the CION will be?

It looks very interesting, but I would imagine that it will be priced to compete with the Arri Amira, not the Blackmagic 4k…..

I really wish I could get to NAB!

Edit... I opened a small window from the link and missed the MSRP. That looks amazing, and something we will be investing in if the prices are consistent in the UK.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:17:01 pm

The website says $8995

i don't know what that includes, exactly. My guess is just the camera body.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:18:47 pm
Last Edited By Shawn Miller on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:21:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The website says $8995

i don't know what that includes, exactly. My guess is just the camera body.

Jeremy"

It looks like the price includes the camera, battery plate and top handle. That's a beast of a deal considering all of the i/o ports and shooting formats built in. Looking at it, I'm now wondering why BMD didn't include any 2k formats on their 4k cameras... that seems like a no brainer. I think BMD has got some real competition for the URSA now... excellent. I think they need some industry pressure to perform better. Now let's see how that July ship date works out. :-)

EDIT: link to the brochure:

http://www.aja.com/assets/brochures/CION_Brochure_WEB.pdf

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:21:58 pm

A 10" monitor seems like it would snap off in real world usage.

I don't rely on ship dates from anyone anymore. :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Apr 7, 2014 at 10:27:32 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "A 10" monitor seems like it would snap off in real world usage.

I don't rely on ship dates from anyone anymore. :)

Jeremy"

Yeah, my first thought about the 10" monitor was that; a. it should have been a 7" monitor, and b. it should be a separate accessory... too much like Red?

Pretty much agree about ship dates. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:20:47 pm

waaaaaaaaaaait a minute. Is that MSRP just for the sensor, and then the rails, EVF, SSD and SSD dock, shoulder mount, microphones and rigging are all on top……..?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Apr 7, 2014 at 9:22:44 pm

Bingo. My brain just works more slowly than yours.

Now, where did I put my glass of milk?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 8, 2014 at 6:06:23 am

Maybe for the 25 and under crowd that was clamoring around the BMD booth - but the CION is the real deal - 4 years in the making - this is NOT a wannabe camera, it's a very well thought out pro camera with incredible features and build quality. A 5-time Emmy winning DP put it on his shoulder and stated it was the most comfortable camera he had ever held. I concur, the weight and balance and suede shoulder pad and awesome.

This was built by AJA engineers who have a true passion for cameras, especially classic film cameras like the NPR, AATON and SRII - can't wait to buy mine :)

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 10, 2014 at 3:14:30 pm

[Steve Connor] "Once again AJA have had their thunder stolen by BMD!"

I don't think so. I was in both booths. The BMD is 4K only... look at all the formats the AJA has. Huge difference. Most people won't shoot 4K all the time.

Then there is the "AJA only releases things that actually work". People that I know that have the first BMD camera are still waiting for promised fixes.

Different cameras... different companies... different target.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 10, 2014 at 3:28:15 pm

[Mitch Ives] "I don't think so. I was in both booths. The BMD is 4K only... look at all the formats the AJA has. Huge difference. Most people won't shoot 4K all the time."

I was talking in PR terms, the AJA camera itself looks great. What were your first impressions of both of them?

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 10, 2014 at 4:04:50 pm

Well it looks like Craig got there first and pretty much covered it all. I'll just add that AJA's stuff is almost always rock solid from the get go...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 10, 2014 at 3:28:45 pm

Given the cost difference between the two cameras one might actually get the ROI on the price difference before BMD actually provides all the promised features.

Unless something changes at BMD, the Ursa will ship six months late in ridiculously limited quantities. It'll take close to a year before it readily available and another six months to a year of firmware updates before all the fixes are handled and features implemented. Maybe on this third camera from BMD things will be different but, given the price difference between the URSA and CION, I'm not sure it's worth the difference for even a small productive production company.

I certainly like my BMD Pocket. But I keep in mind that announced at NAB 2013, a full year later there's still no Audio Meters nor Time Remaining for the cards. This is also the case for the Cinema Camera from 2012.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 8, 2014 at 1:45:10 am
Last Edited By Chris Harlan on Apr 8, 2014 at 1:45:39 am

It was a cool looking camera. tried to heft it today but the line for it was a little long.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]