FORUMS: list search recent posts

Goodbye FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Moody
Goodbye FCPX
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:25:34 pm
Last Edited By Lance Moody on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:39:32 pm

Well, I am sad to say it but I have officially given up on FCPX.

I was an FCP 1.0 user and a thorny part of the community back then.

I liked FCPX and used it for one fairly large project (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17IQ4XTUQ30) and several smaller ones. I was very happy with it but didn't admire or appreciate the workflow quirks. (I don't want to call a sequence, a project, goddamnit.). Events/Libraries, etc. all bullshit names that actually offend me (particularly Events--they aren't events!).

But I believed in Apple and that the product would get better and better (which indeed it has). I tried to get other studios that I work with interested in it. No one ever really was.

And so much of my work runs through After Effects that the dynamic connection to Premiere just couldn't be ignored. So I begin to play with Premiere and found it near perfect for its purpose. I just can't think of anything that would push me towards FCPX over it but several reasons for the reverse.

Recently someone sent me a project to revise from FCPX but I am ashamed to say that I couldn't tell if they had sent me the right file or all the files or whathaveyou because I could't figure out how to open what they sent or remember how it all needed to go together. It was easier to just start over in PP/AE.

When I recently updated to SSD drives, I almost didn't even install FCPX.

At least in my ecosystem it just never flowered and prospered (and I tried to water the thing a lot). And now for me it is gone.

Comparing Apple's wall of silence and their initial catastrophic (but oh so bold) F-YOU to current users to Adobe's friendly responsive two-way communication seals the deal for me.

Goodbye FCP.

Lance

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Goodbye FCPX
on Apr 3, 2014 at 6:05:53 pm

anecdotal - but I just showed the direct timeline link to speedgrade to a small production house that got CC in recently. they're in the process of transitioning to premiere. When he saw the grading pass round trip back into the premiere master timeline the owners eyes popped out of his head. He didn't even know that was in CC.

They spend quite a lot of money on a weekly basis sending corporate film edits to baselight in soho for half day grades. I pointed out a place a few miles from him that would sell him a tangent wave for around a grand. He's used to looking at the three balls in expensive suites in the middle of town.

The idea that they could pretty cheaply and more or less instantly whip up a perfectly fine grading suite out of their own kit - for low to mid projects - interested him quite a lot.
It'll be interesting to see how many editors get into SG the way many got into colour back in the day.

Have you (anyone) tried speedgrade much? I just started getting into it - it might be no davinci resolve, but then again I haven't a raging clue how to run davinci. You can get fairly competent in SG in a couple of days for primary, secondary and cc masks i found. then bang a look on top on an adjustment layer to taste. there's a trick to the order of primary operations going from offset and that - the guy who worked on 18:20 has a really nice run through.

I'm still slightly mind boggled that we actually have the thing we used to dream about with FCP - an extremely advanced colour room you can just send the entire live timeline to in seconds and back again. Adobe really have done more on the active link in 12 months with SG than apple did with colour for the years they had it.

oh CC. sigh.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 3, 2014 at 6:41:41 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Have you (anyone) tried speedgrade much? I just started getting into it - it might be no davinci resolve, but then again I haven't a raging clue how to run davinci. You can get fairly competent in SG in a couple of days for primary, secondary and cc masks i found. then bang a look on top on an adjustment layer to taste. there's a trick to the order of primary operations going from offset and that - the guy who worked on 18:20 has a really nice run through."

Been playing with Speedgrade a lot, it certainly isn't as good as Resolve, but for most jobs it doesn't need to be, tracking isn't bad and it's layer based which can be easier to pick up than nodes. Big thing for me is that it doesn't suck resources like Resolve does it seems to run much faster on my systems.

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:10:20 pm

Yep. I know in my head its no resolve, not that I know resolve at all - but for my own purposes I really prefer the layering metaphor? its what my mammy raised me on. node trees have a tendency to bring me out in boils.

moviola had a really good run through of SG with robbie carman last year - most of it stuck with me. SG is definitely way less arcane than davinci and you can get some fairly serious stuff done. I really want the guy to pick up the tangent wave just so I can mess with it. SG would definitely stop me staggering off with the timeline to AE layers madness and colour finesse.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:27:09 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Yep. I know in my head its no resolve"

I'm no expert on Resolve but it is a monster, it's not a bad basic editor and I found it has an Audio Mixer as well

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:50:01 pm
Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:48:22 pm

[Steve Connor] "it's not a bad basic editor and I found it has an Audio Mixer as well"

that gets a bit weird for my little head, and i think its cart before horse in a way.

The thing that struck me noodling with it was that, if you could get get competence and acceptable results in SG, the entire issue of the master edit being adrift and unlocked is moot. At least for some kinds of things? The entire final grade operation ties directly back into the live edit master as applied per shot lumtri engine effects. I know that's all totally duh, but I never worked it through for smaller mid projects. any last minute editorial changes post grade master are ludicrously trivial because premiere is itself always the live master. you never really went anywhere. You could even alt drag replace in ppro same setup alternate shots say, while retaining the applied colour grade master lumetri effect. jump into SG again for last tweaks, jump back to premiere for last frame finess. repeat.

the idea that there is another somewhat manipulatable edit version sitting off away in davinci is a completely different thing. attempting to shove the master edit last minute revise capability into the colour correction suite is a lot different to the edit master always remaining in the edit system continuous with and after final colour grading.

*edit* thinking about it - just to go fully retard on this - what I mean say is that if it's the davinci timeline: then you've now got a second edit instance going with new edit decisions being generated, possibly on a money clock, and you're still left doing a final print in the room? for the reasons people go to resolve or baselight for certain kinds of high order corporate shot material - and where its not, say, a loopers *track mattes everywhere for cc* resolve thunderdome commercial situation - given they could get into roughly the same necessary cc territory with luts tracker masks and colour space while keeping local edit control with SG, doesn't SG look kind of sensible?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 6:45:29 pm

It's neat but falls short in 2 main areas, which I'm sure will be fixed soon. You can't monitor on the canvas and to the grading monitor at the same time. Seems kinda important to me. And you can't monitor with BMD devices. Other than that, the little I've played with the round tripping is genius.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:19:51 pm

[Bret Williams] "You can't monitor on the canvas and to the grading monitor at the same time. Seems kinda important to me. And you can't monitor with BMD devices."

yeah, I read about that, from an ill-informed distance. not exactly ideal alright, but mind you at the rate they're putting it together...

Also, I'm not sure I wouldn't just be a knacker for low to mid projects going online/presentations and work the whole thing off the 27" imac. it seems muckily doable?
I mostly want SG for the toolset and speed, that insane round tripping and - ideally - the three magic balls for a grand.

those three balls used to be up on mount olympus quite recently like.
has anyone used the tangent wave? scott simmons did a pretty positive review I think. bit plastic overall but the balls were solid apparently?

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 3, 2014 at 6:06:28 pm

Lance, I have been using X for mostly small projects, and I find its simplicity a relief from the overkill of FCP7. I spend less time moving clips, adjusting clips, enabling and un-enabling clips, fretting over sync and squinting to see what I'm doing. And I read with interest the posts from editors who are doing ambitious, well-paid work in long-form docs, TV and apparently some features.

BUT I must agree with you about the nomenclature which is embarrassing, something I almost want to hide from anyone looking over my shoulder. Those terms are perhaps the best evidence for the initial "iMovie Pro" ridicule.

Events instantly evokes the lamest form of consumer functionality: "This Event was December 10th, my daughter's birthday. This Event is March 15th, our trip to Costa Rica." Projects being contained WITHIN an EVENT is even more ridiculous. It's the scrapbook aesthetic that still drives iPhoto. "Okay, it's Saturday. I'm going to start a new Project. I'm going to make a movie from our Costa Rica trip. And I'll even use still photos from my Costa Rica Event in iPhoto. This will be fun!"

I find the notion of Project inside an Event so confusing that I begin every new Project-- er, excuse me, Library ... by creating an Event called "Sequences" or "Edits" and all my "Projects" reside in that folder.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 6:48:44 pm

If you check out the personal site for the guy who designed iMovie and X, you'll find all he seems to do is travel to exotic locales. Hmmmm.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:05:24 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "Events instantly evokes the lamest form of consumer functionality: "This Event was December 10th, my daughter's birthday. This Event is March 15th, our trip to Costa Rica.""

I mean, who really cares? It's not like my client is looking over my shoulder going "wow, that's really corny". They just look at their project as it's being built. They don't care a rip what it's being cut on.

Apple is being pretty smart making iMovie and FCPX look alike and work alike. Will make the transition of all the kids playing on iMovie now that much more simple when they are in college and beyond to FCPX. And let's admit it, for $299 it certainly fits in the 80/20 rule to MC and Premiere. Like I have said, Apple is not looking at Lance or any of us old guys. They have the cash to wait it out. Avid and Adobe don't.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Lance Moody
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:20:54 pm

"I mean, who really cares?"

Well, not everyone, obviously but I do.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 3, 2014 at 7:43:23 pm

Sorry Lance, not a personal jab.

I find the Library structure to be great. Not too long agoI was over at an agency showing their people the basics of FCPX. These were creatives, producers, designers, etc. The asked me to describe the structure and using one of their clients, Pizza Hut, I simply said 'a Library is all the pizza and food footage you shoot in a day, month year, whatever (Pizza Hut Food Footage 2014). Your Events are your spot campaigns. "Large Pizza Giveaway" campaign. Your spots for that campaign are the Projects that live inside the event. All that food footage is available to every campaign for the year. To these folks, who had never heard of bins, sub-clips and sequences, it all made perfect sense. Big buckets > smaller buckets > spot.

Its harder for us who have used those "old" terms for years and years.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 3, 2014 at 8:44:56 pm

It took me sometime getting used to the organization structure but find it useful. I do sometimes miss bins but really like how you can organize stuff. I guess sometimes old habits are hard to break and sometimes it is difficult to adjust to new ways of doing things.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:34:39 pm

To each their own, but I'd treat libraries like you're treating events. I wouldn't load up X with a whole companies videos into RAM all at once any more than I'd open all the projects from a company at once in legacy or premier or avid.

I can see where it can be handy, but if each project is generally going to be constrained to an event, then I'd have multiple libraries. Keep them all in a folder for the client on the drive of course. But you'd be able to load up just the events needed. But that's just me. I can see the benefit of keeping a companies videos all in one library, but how does that pan out over a year, two years, 10 years? That's one massive library to load up.

I guess nobody knows yet.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:11:01 pm

You nailed it.

As a producer of TV content for many years, I used to chuckle at editor's BIN naming structures with manual numbering and alphanumerics to try and find content and sort their media... manually.

Same with when I would ask for vision compiles of past content to be accessed for shot selections...

It's those past frustrations with media management that I see what Apple is trying to head into with X... and I like it... integrated database collectives (Libraries) of content - cheesy nomenclatures or not.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:15:34 pm

Couldn't agree more on iMovie to FCPX. I teach a video class for the art department at a private school, high school kids. Many have seen and used iMovie, they instantly get FCPX and they're on their way! We do have CS6 on all the iMacs, and a few kids gravitate to PPro. But especially for students coming out of other art classes, photography and theatre depart, they want to dive right into to the artistic process, and find X intuitively obvious.

My only agreement with Lance is the counter-intuitive language of Events and Projects. It doesn't affect the work, it's just a superficial complaint.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:38:53 pm

Once I open a library, you'll never see the word event, project, or library anyway. My library has a project name. And inside I have one event named sequences and one called media. In fact, the only place library is ever seen or mentioned would be in the menus. Ditto with project and event. Just pretend the names don't exist.

But can't disagree with the dynamic link stuff and adobe. Just wish I could buy it.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 4, 2014 at 8:59:46 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "and a few kids gravitate to PPro"

I have some too (graduate students) but I think the subscription thing bugs them and a good percentage of those few have gone to FCPX (they had switched directly from FCP7 to PP. Our computer lab has all three on 21 computers, but FCP7 will go away next fall). They own it. It's on their laptop and it gets the job done for them.

Horses for courses.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 4, 2014 at 10:01:48 pm

Similar numbers. Small school, a Digital Lab with 14 iMacs, and another 10 in the Art Department. All have FCPX and CS6 (I don't know if and when admin might switch to CC subscription model).

In the last two years, about 1/3 or my students have ended up owning FCPX on their own laptops, working on their stuff all the time. Class consists of me showing tech tips and creative techniques, and other students offering critiques.

I'll show clips of features, docs and abstract films, a history of how "technique" evolves over time. Then I will show them FCP7 and Premiere, maybe Avid if I have it ... and discuss the NLE interface as "mixed metaphor" -- with Timeline tracks reflecting physical film & mag tracks running thru a sync block on a cutting table ... and the Source and Record windows descended from tape deck-to-deck editing ... and Browsers and Bins obviously using the computer files & folders metaphor. An unintended consequence has been that FCPX seems kind of like their generation's app and many embrace it accordingly.

So Apple better remain serious about expanding X's pro features, because these kids are already serious about using it!

Doug D

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Apr 3, 2014 at 9:18:48 pm

I have to agree especially the lasting effect Apple's arrogance has had. Both the incredible botched rollout and terminology change.

We finally purchased CC and I literally breathed a big sigh of relief what I saw all the preferences necessary to a professional workflow.

John

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Apr 3, 2014 at 10:16:05 pm

I don't know. Opening Avid and CC now is like being Marty McFly and going back to the 90's with the workflow and UI. I admit FCPX was buggy, etc at first, but the last few updates have been great and my workflow has really taken off. We edit commercials, web videos, broadcast TV, feature length documentaries, and even some multi- cam, all HD 1080i and I can say post has never been quicker and less painless.

Okay, so you have to learn a bit of new terminology, this is good for the brain, so who is complaining. Also, having spoken several times with the FCPX project manager, Apple is 100% committed to the pro users. And, add the new Mac Pro to this equation, what a combo for productivity.

The future IS here now.

Return to posts index

Gabe Strong
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:15:25 pm

It's interesting to read this as I've taken the opposite path. Longtime FCP user. Changed from FCP 7 to CS6 as it was easier than learning X. Then Adobe decided to only allow rental! Buh bye Adobe! And for those
talking about all the CC upgrades....um FCP X ha been upgraded even MORE often......for free! And costs
about the same 6 months rental from Adobe.

Gabe Strong
G-Force Productions
http://www.gforcevideo.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:39:27 pm

[Gabe Strong] " And for those
talking about all the CC upgrades....um FCP X ha been upgraded even MORE often......for free! And costs
about the same 6 months rental from Adobe."

Yeah, but FCP X doesn't have tracks or 7000 tabs, windows and preference panes. And it uses different names for stuff. No true professional would ever use it. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 3, 2014 at 11:47:33 pm

[Charlie Austin] "tabs"

they're nice you know. have you tried the speedgrade link thing in cc? seriously.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2014 at 12:24:56 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "they're nice you know. have you tried the speedgrade link thing in cc? seriously."

I haven't, though I'm sure it's quite nice based on reviews here. I mean, I like Premiere... I rent a copy now. :-) I'm just a little tired of the high and mighty "FCP is not Professional" bullsh*t. That's all.

Return to posts index

Dennis Tzeng
on Apr 4, 2014 at 2:46:55 am

[Charlie Austin] "I'm just a little tired of the high and mighty "FCP is not Professional" bullsh*t. That's all."

Which is what I heard about Premiere from Final Cut users for many years. Kind of funny how things have changed.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:50:25 am

And now Lightworks Mac is closer to reality.

http://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/1581-date-announced-for-lightwo...

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:09:34 am

[Oliver Peters] "And now Lightworks Mac is closer to reality."

Great news. I've been eager to try out Lightworks ever since EditShare picked it up.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:59:19 am

[Dennis Tzeng] "Which is what I heard about Premiere from Final Cut users for many years."

I'm sure you did. And, just like the Mac vs. PC "wars", and the iOS vs. Android "wars", the "my (insert random thing here) is better than yours" combatants are idiots. Of course, just my opinion... :-)

Return to posts index

Dennis Tzeng
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:16:21 am

[Charlie Austin] "I'm sure you did. And, just like the Mac vs. PC "wars", and the iOS vs. Android "wars", the "my (insert random thing here) is better than yours" combatants are idiots. Of course, just my opinion... :-)"

All the wars are silly however I hear them all the time. I was just at the movie theatre with my friend who has an iPhone and she saw my Galaxy S3 and she said "I might change over and get a Galaxy phone next". Immediately the stranger to the right of her starts telling her not to do it and goes into a full on Apple advertisement about how much better the iPhone was and how she should wait, etc.

Just don't get that type of fanboyism. I have Dell desktop PC, a Mac Book Pro, a Surface Pro 2, an iPad and a Samsung Galaxy S3. I get whatever gets the job done.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2014 at 4:48:09 am

[Dennis Tzeng] " I get whatever gets the job done."

Yep. And there's nothing wrong with debating the decisions. It's the whining and puffery that gets to me now and again, no matter who, or what side it's coming from. :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 4, 2014 at 1:07:28 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Yep. And there's nothing wrong with debating the decisions. It's the whining and puffery that gets to me now and again, no matter who, or what side it's coming from. :-)"

Yeah, the "it's not pro" complaint starts to sound more like fear than fact. I think I remember Avid calling FCP that not too many years ago, and look how that has flipped.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:13:29 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:14:58 pm

If I have to start carrying a purse or a backpack for my phone, I don't want it. Jeans or shirtpocket, inside jacket pocket in the city. I have my iPad when I need larger. Slightly off topic, sorry. And BTW, I really like FCP 10.1.1. Beats Adobe slavery.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:42:16 pm

So it's okay if you're combating from your side of the aisle? Or are you calling yourself an idiot too?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:43:42 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "So it's okay if you're combating from your side of the aisle? Or are you calling yourself an idiot too?"

Yes Lance, yes.

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:58:21 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I'm just a little tired of the high and mighty "FCP is not Professional" bullsh*t. That's all."

Oh, the irony...

Charlie, I feel for you...in fact I understand exactly how you feel. As an Adobe employee for over 9 years, I saw where Premiere Pro was headed yet had to endure the perception that Premiere Pro is just for prosumers and hobbyists. Now, that has changed and people recognize Adobe's commitment to our customers through innovation.

My advice is to not worry about what other people say - if you enjoy FCPX, then rock on and have fun. Time will tell if it sheds its current perception, but that shouldn't matter to those people who enjoy it.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:49:47 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Charlie, I feel for you...in fact I understand exactly how you feel. As an Adobe employee for over 9 years, I saw where Premiere Pro was headed yet had to endure the perception that Premiere Pro is just for prosumers and hobbyists. Now, that has changed and people recognize Adobe's commitment to our customers through innovation. "

Yeah, and in all fairness, FCP X was a useless mess when released, and Pr kinda did suck before you guys rewrote it. :-) That's no longer the case for either of them. There are perfectly good reasons not to like X, or Pr, or MC. All have strengths and weaknesses, but in my experience, "lacking professional features" isn't one of them. Clearly there is some disagreement on this. ;-)

[Dennis Radeke] "My advice is to not worry about what other people say - if you enjoy FCPX, then rock on and have fun. Time will tell if it sheds its current perception, but that shouldn't matter to those people who enjoy it."

I don't really worry about it, it just gets under my skin now and again. But it does matter to me because, as a full time editor, if my little niche industry all moves back to MC or Pr or stays with FCP 7 'til it stops working, then that's what I'll be working on. And frankly, the only NLE I have "fun" cutting in is X. :-)

Honestly it's not even the NLE "wars" that bug me as much as the petty "who or what is, or isn't, professional" BS.

Oh well... Guess I should get back to cutting my YouTube skateboarder and cute cat videos...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 4, 2014 at 7:10:09 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Yeah, and in all fairness, FCP X was a useless mess when released, and Pr kinda did suck before you guys rewrote it. :-) That's no longer the case for either of them. There are perfectly good reasons not to like X, or Pr, or MC. All have strengths and weaknesses, but in my experience, "lacking professional features" isn't one of them. Clearly there is some disagreement on this. ;-)"

Ditto. I actually believed that PremierePro was likely just as good as Avid or FCP legacy all those years, but figured they just lost the war. That FCP was just first to the plate, etc. But then when they finally put it back on the Macintosh with CS3 (let's not forget how Adobe completely jumped ship for a number of years) I found that wow, it was extremely lacking. And it really really wasn't until CC that it's feature set was comparable with legacy 6 or 7, and then some. The difference between CS6 and CC put it over the hurdle for sure.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:49:20 pm

Boy are you wrong there - I was a beta tester from Premiere Pro 1 through the first CS suite. It was a disaster! No one at Adobe would listen to us, the program was chock full of bugs - I could write book on the nightmares of cutting a feature film in Premiere Pro 1.5. The Adobe reps at the time were great and did everything they could to help, but they weren't engineers and could only do so much. There was even threats of lawsuits and pay-offs etc. It was bad...

It truly wasn't until CC that I actually liked and used Premiere again. Since last June I've used Premiere CC on every paying gig I've cut - from national TV specials to indie features and a ton of other stuff - still some issues, but it can now sit proudly next to Avid and FCP 7 as a truly great NLE...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:55:52 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "but it can now sit proudly next to Avid and FCP 7 as a truly great NLE..."

As a Premiere user since Premiere 5.1 (Not Premiere Pro!) I'd have to say CC stands ABOVE FCP7 and Avid, apart from it's sharing capabilities and I imagine that Adobe are working very hard on that as we speak.

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 5, 2014 at 9:42:48 pm

[Steve Connor] " I'd have to say CC stands ABOVE FCP7 and Avid,"

I'm on my third project with it now, and I'm quite the half assed editor, but I'm still boggled at how fast it's progressed.
again - I really cannot get past that implementation of the link to SG - I know I did a whole moron's burble on that and everyone knows about the thing anyway - but just getting to play with it in the flesh was kind of mad. I even texted a mate to find out what a realistic day rate for a well trained colourist would be.

you can get a good colourist for around 400 quid a day, and the three balls for a grand - also there have to be editors getting tooled up on it given how straightforward it is relative to davinci. there is a good argument that you cannot do without access to look up tables to properly handle dng material coming off the blackmagic or even the flat profile higher bit prores stuff. You get there with a lot less hassle off SG than you do with davinci. particularly if you start in premiere.

way more people could develop competence for those lut application operations with SG than are ever going to with davinci. not least because the whole issue of footage transport and handling is moot with SG. as long as you are in a ppro environment. I'm basically explaining this to myself here, and its all super obvious, but you'd feel there are some super good arguments for SG handling what has to be lots of DNG/flat 12bit prores material on the way. because it's really not crazy complicated. if apple are making an 80/20 argument with X, you'd feel SG is making the same argument with high level finishing.

side note - media composer apparently has a hinky implementation of LUTs that happens in the bin and is supposed to be incredibly awkward in workflow terms.

[Steve Connor] "apart from it's sharing capabilities"
al mooney nearly hinted to kanen flowers on the latest podcast that the project sharing component of anywhere would hit CC - presumably after a solid round of enterprise monetisation. you could nearly hear flowers kicking his shin.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:54:31 pm

[Bret Williams] "The difference between CS6 and CC put it over the hurdle for sure."

I thought 6 was a pretty impressive comeback, but yes, CC DID put it over the hurdle.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 5, 2014 at 9:37:47 pm

It was decent. But I remember going through the list of new features for CC and thinking "that wasn't there already? That's been in every NLE since 1997!" And sadly I think some things on that list are still missing from X.

Truly the only reason I'm using X is I just like it. I don't know if I'm faster or whatever, but it's just more enjoyable. I also resist getting in too deep with rental software. I'll always be able to open my psd and il files with 3rd party apps, but can't do that with premiere or AE. Sigh.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2014 at 11:00:39 pm

[Bret Williams] "It was decent. But I remember going through the list of new features for CC and thinking "that wasn't there already? That's been in every NLE since 1997!" And sadly I think some things on that list are still missing from X.

Truly the only reason I'm using X is I just like it. I don't know if I'm faster or whatever, but it's just more enjoyable. I also resist getting in too deep with rental software. I'll always be able to open my psd and il files with 3rd party apps, but can't do that with premiere or AE. Sigh.
"

Totally understand. I go back and forth on the CC thing. I use both it and Media Composer pretty much every day. My CC yearly is coming up soon, and I haven't really decided what to do. I'm doing a lot of writing/producing right now, so I'm working with a lot of low-res offline files. CC is very convenient in the way that it works directly with the proxy from CAT DV, but has a timecode bug that won't let me switch TC to NDF so I can match TC to window burn. Media Composer is solid with the TC, but I have to transcode the CatDV h.264 because AMA doesn't recognize it. So, if I have to turn around a script fast, I end up using Premiere, and have to hand log the shots I'm calling from Window burn--something I don't think I should have to do in this decade of this century.

Right now, I'm only actually editing and delivering a promo or two a week (as opposed to writing and producing them), and I've been rocking back and forth from show to show between Media Composer and Premiere. I've been using Media Composer on the last 17 episodes of the show I'm on, and should--on the next show--flip to Premiere. I don't know if I will. Don't know that I won't. Maybe I'll figure it out at NAB.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 5, 2014 at 11:10:07 pm

I feel like Avid burned their bridges here in Atlanta. At least in the corporate circles I dwell. A few are deciding on X or premiere this year. But they're chugging along with 7 right now. Most made the switch from Avid years ago and aren't interested in going back. At least Premiere or X are both new territory.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:56:45 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Guess I should get back to cutting my YouTube skateboarder and cute cat videos..."

See. It is true. And, I got to tell you something; that cat is just NOT that cute.

Going to NAB? If you are, how 'bout some lunch?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:07:18 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:08:09 pm

[Chris Harlan] "See. It is true. And, I got to tell you something; that cat is just NOT that cute. "

What?!?! Look at those little eyes! And that cute little nose and whiskers! Where is your humanity!

[Chris Harlan] "Going to NAB? If you are, how 'bout some lunch?"

Unfortunately not. :-( Tried to get away but we're (fortunately) busy this week, so I'l be working while you all are cavorting with showgirls and guzzling watered down cocktails. Sounds like there will be some cool stuff though... looking forward to the breathless press releases. :-)

Now... I must get back to creating content for my YouTube Channel. I'm working on a great sequence where people fall down. It's cut to Yakety Sax. ;-)

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:07:07 am

[Lance Moody] " (I don't want to call a sequence, a project, goddamnit.)."

I don't really think too much about the names because I always relabel them to call them what I want anyway.

I don't leave the word "EVENT" there, in my case with, lets say with my doc, the event is the name of the person I interviewed and would contain their sit-down, b-roll and pics, and the project is changed to whatever section I'm working on.

Like Westlake. I'm looking at the word Westlake, not project.

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Apr 4, 2014 at 5:41:23 pm

Well I've been sat on Avid this whole time. I'd love to move forward into the sexy future, but along with the good ideas there always seems to be some demented corporate bullshit that makes it toxic. And I never go full retard.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 4, 2014 at 6:01:44 pm

After the new Library structure, with the Snapshot and Duplicate functions, the meaning of the word Project started to change for me.

Now, I make one timeline, and call it "Awesome Sauce" or whatever the current gig requires.

I don't dupe it > open it > rename the dupe > then open the dupe > and close the original > Start working.

I simply work from that one timeline (or Project, if you will) all the time and make snapshots of different versions. If I need to go back, I can go back to the Snapshot.

Cantemo portal is showing a pretty cool demo involving FCPX Libraries including upload/download features.

http://www.cantemo.com/fcpx.html

It seems to fit rather pro needs and workflows.

I'm not saying you have to like the decisions that Apple has made, or the arrogant audacities, or any of this new world order b.s., but if the next company you choose to "partner" with makes an unagreeable change to further their business, it won't make you any less professional.

Nothing is sacred,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 3:38:21 am

Feel pretty much the same - though I still use FCPX here and there for certain things - like burning Blu-rays for screeners etc.

Premiere CC is just a better, much more thought out and of course conventional NLE. FCPX seems geared toward the Apple fanboys who will use it ahead of any other NLE regardless of its features etc because it's from Apple - so it must be better right?

I'm 100% certain that not ONE SINGLE FCPX user on Planet Earth would be using it if FCP7 had become 8 and FCPX was from some other company.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 5, 2014 at 3:49:48 am

[Lance Bachelder] "FCPX seems geared toward the Apple fanboys who will use it ahead of any other NLE regardless of its features etc because it's from Apple "

Yes, exactly correct.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:10:52 am

"I'm 100% certain that not ONE SINGLE FCPX user on Planet Earth would be using it if FCP7 had become 8 and FCPX was from some other company."

I'm afraid you're wrong about that, Lance.

Before Apple announced FCP X, I had been working in FCP 7 and beginning to wish it was a lot easier to quickly try out new ideas (plugging in new clips, re-arranging clips, trimming clips.) without spending so much time fixing gaps in the Timeline. It occurred to me that the conventional approach to clip and track editing was actually pretty clunky.

About a year later, Apple announced FCP X, and when it finally shipped, I appreciated the new approach to the Timeline. It's what's still kept me with X, despite wondering if Apple can keep up with Adobe's rapid development of Premiere, and all the tools available in Creative Cloud.

In other words, I would probably be using X if it wasn't from Apple, and even if Apple had launched FCP 8. I use plenty of non-Apple apps already, there's nothing keeping me glued to an Apple app just because it's from Apple. In fact, apps developed outside Apple often seem to be better supported...

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 11:15:05 am

[Lance Bachelder] " FCPX seems geared toward the Apple fanboys who will use it ahead of any other NLE regardless of its features etc because it's from Apple - so it must be better right? "

Yep that's it you've got it Lance, I don't use it for the way it works, I just use it because I'm a fanboy

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:00:17 pm

You can be dismissive but he has an interesting point.

Really, how many FPCX users would have adopted the NLE had it been released by Sony, or god forbid, Canopus?

The value of the Apple brand in establishing X as a viable alternative has always seemed perfectly obvious to me. Whether that was justified trust in an established source, or simply an textbook example of cognitive dissonance is the harder call.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:06:34 pm

[Patrick Murphy] "Really, how many FPCX users would have adopted the NLE had it been released by Sony, or god forbid, Canopus?"

The same could be said of Media Composer or Premiere.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:23:24 pm

This was exactly my point - thai you! Of course I exaggerated - there's always those who like unconventional ways of doing things - I'm a prime example as a long-time Sony Vegas user and beta tester.

But that's also part of the point - I've given, and still give, FCPX a ton of my time and use it on certain jobs and tasks, but it's not even close to being as good as Sony Vegas in many areas. My point is, is FCPX was from say, Pinnacle, which has a somewhat cool consumer NLE by the way, would this forum even exist - I say no.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

tony west
on Apr 6, 2014 at 1:35:41 am

[Lance Bachelder] "Pinnacle, which has a somewhat cool consumer NLE by the way, would this forum even exist - I say no.
"

You might be right Lance, I can only speak for myself. There were two reasons I went with X

One, I liked the program, and two, I felt like Apple had an advantage being that they can basically give their product away for almost free. Their competitors can't really do that.

I didn't want to have to change again in a few years if somebody went out.

I feel like Apple's cheap X price had something to do with CC rental and that whole rental thing has many folks bulking even though it's a really good product.

I don't know what will happen long term but I still think I made safe bet.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:56:23 pm

Bravo. Recognising you have a problem is the first step to a cure Steve.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:19:00 pm
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:19:45 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Bravo. Recognising you have a problem is the first step to a cure Steve."

I know, the nice people at Adobe rented me a Therapist

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:29:59 pm

that's my therapist steve. get your own.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:51:42 pm

[Steve Connor] "Yep that's it you've got it Lance, I don't use it for the way it works, I just use it because I'm a fanboy"

Oh, c'mon. Deep, deep in your heart you know you are. I've heard you even have a tattoo.

Headed to NAB. I'm quite interested to see who's running what on which machine. Bet there will be a lot of X 4K demos. I think that's what everyone is wresting with this year.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:17:59 pm

[Chris Harlan] "Oh, c'mon. Deep, deep in your heart you know you are. I've heard you even have a tattoo.
"

Tis true!

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2014 at 5:39:29 pm

ROTFL!!!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:03:25 pm

That is just too funny. Thank you Steve.

Tim

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:25:43 pm

Stop by AJA and say hello Chris - enjoyed meeting you last year - I'll be in the booth all day Mon/Tues. I'll probably be on a FCPX pod lol!

Have fun!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:51:55 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Stop by AJA and say hello Chris - enjoyed meeting you last year - I'll be in the booth all day Mon/Tues. I'll probably be on a FCPX pod lol!"

Already planning on it! Had fun last year. Don't know my schedule yet, but maybe we can some coffee or lunch work as well. But, I'll stop by, no doubt.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 5, 2014 at 1:15:20 pm
Last Edited By Scott Witthaus on Apr 5, 2014 at 1:16:49 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Premiere CC is just a better, much more thought out and of course conventional NLE."

Wow, I disagree. I find PP and the interface a mess. Trying too hard to be Avid, FCP7 and whatever else it can throw in there. Now, unless it's changed a lot from CS6, Premiere is at the bottom of my list. And I just don't use it enough to justify the subscription. When I do, it's because the production company that has hired me only has PP. Even then I try to see if they still have FCP7 around. Avid is simply gone from my market to 4-wall.

In a market segment (spots, short form marketing, short file-based films) where story is king, and well-timed cuts and fades rule, the simple elegance, power and speed of FCPX are greatly appreciated. Apple seems to be doing that across the board, as I was doing some writing in Pages and noticed how more clean and simple the new interface is. Is it the 80/20 rule of marketing? Perhaps, but things don't need to be complex to be "better". Sometimes less is more.

[Lance Bachelder] "I'm 100% certain that not ONE SINGLE FCPX user on Planet Earth would be using it if FCP7 had become 8 and FCPX was from some other company."

Hmm, how many Avid editors switched over to FCP? DS? "Certain" is a big word. I am "pretty sure" this is an untrue statement.

[Lance Bachelder] " FCPX seems geared toward the Apple fanboys "

This statement always cracks me up. FCP7 or FCP8 is never coming back. This is the next step for Apple. One can accept that and use the next-gen product or simply move on. There really needs to be no debate anymore.

Just my humble opinion. These are just tools and we are lucky to be in a time where we can afford all four and use them as necessary. Horses for courses. My computer "Dock" has Premiere, Resolve, FCP7 Motion, FCPX and MC7 sitting there, with the rest of the CS6 package waiting in the background. It's a great time to be in this business.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Apr 5, 2014 at 1:35:03 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "It's a great time to be in this business."

Amen, brother!

Going back a few.... Quantel Henry was $800,000 (just the box). Editbox was $400,000. Avid was... $150,000 (? memory). All of the above, add a few hundred K for decks, etc.

Now? It's all about the skills. Use what works. And then debate about it here during renders, of course. ;P

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-FCP-Premiere-3D-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:00:41 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Apr 5, 2014 at 2:05:21 pm

I'm at NAB at the Avid Connect event. That's a different discussion. But, in general discussions with other users and notably many facility managers, the prevailing feeling about NLEs is that the state of things has never been so much in flux. It's still very much up for grabs for any NLE, so don't count anyone in or out.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:37:05 pm

I agree - total flux right now - and though all the choices are much cheaper than my first NAB back in 99, it seemed like there were a lot more choices back then?

I still think there's room for a true "king of NLE's", seems like Adobe and Avid are the only ones who care about the crown though...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
on Apr 6, 2014 at 4:49:59 pm

The bottom line to me is if you're a fixed in your ways editor then you're more prone to reject the fundamental changes in FCPX and obviously there are real issues with larger facilities and exchange of a lot of media.

If you're willing/able to entertain a different paradigm, where weaknesses absolutely exist (as they do in each program) but improvements at many levels also exist then FCPX will start to make more and more sense.

I think the new media management is finally a solid one and a better one than any of FCP's incarnations.

I also think Apple made a smart decision based on the future and present of editing.
Like so many things in the creative industry, it's become much more democratized.
I know it's been said a lot but it's true. I don't know how much as a percentage but it's obvious to me in real life how much work, outside of the narrow realm of broadcast, is being handled by small and individual editors.
And how much work is also being done by non-dedicated editors who also shoot and composite...and mix audio for that matter.

It's the new reality and it's certainly going to become that more and more - certainly not go the other way.
Pro editing has a new definition just like pro shooting does.
For a block of pros FCPX just isn't the right tool, but for the growing block of editors/creatives it seems to be an ideal tool for a number of reasons.

In that regard, I think Apple has made the right choice looking forward.
And for us, producing a lot of promotional film work and TV spots for broadcast and web, it's a great program.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 5, 2014 at 3:20:59 pm

"unless it's changed a lot from CS6, Premiere..."

You have no idea. Honestly. I own CS6 and there is no way I would settle for it, but premiere cc is a whole other ball game.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:37:49 pm

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:37:54 pm

Bur I love Merlot AND Pinot...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:42:15 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Bur I love Merlot AND Pinot..."

That much is obvious :)

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:50:25 pm

Hey now... I haven't had any Merlot since early last night...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:54:22 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Hey now... I haven't had any Merlot since early last night..."

All this talk of wine has forced me to open a bottle!

Steve Connor

Class Bully

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:57:54 pm

steve connor is drinking whiskey from 6 every night I have reliably been told. He just stays really even tempered and types very neatly.

#AmItheonlyoneStuckEditingAtThisHour

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 9:58:55 pm

Sadly I'm never even tempered - wine or no...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]