FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro in the big leagues, cutting David Fincher's next film.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
Premiere Pro in the big leagues, cutting David Fincher's next film.
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:53:04 pm

David Fincher's next film, "Girl Gone, is being cut with PPro.

http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/04/creative-cloud-updates-on-tap-as-david-f...

Could this be Adobe's "Cold Mountain" moment or just a momentary testing of the waters (like when directors such as Spike Lee and Steven Soderbergh made a DV movie back in the day before promptly moving back to film)?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Premiere Pro in the big leagues, cutting David Fincher's next film.
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:56:13 pm

It's great news. It's come a long way in the last few years, and it would be silly for Fincher to keep holding onto FCP7 with all the deficits it has for modern camera formats.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:33:23 pm

I agree about moving on from FCP 7, though I'd be interested to talk with Kirk Baxter (the editor) about his decision to go with PPro over Avid MC and FCP X as I bet all three were kicked around as options.

I'm currently helping out with prep on a new documentary and I'm advising them to move from FCP 7 to Avid. Even though I like a lot of features in PPro I just don't trust it yet to handle a such a huge project even though I think the editor (who knows Avid and FCP 7) could pickup PPro just fine. If PPro gets through "Gone Girl" rather unscathed then I might have to reconsider it for big projects.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 2, 2014 at 8:51:28 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "If PPro gets through "Gone Girl" rather unscathed then I might have to reconsider it for big projects."

What specific reservations do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:46:17 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "What specific reservations do you have, if you don't mind me asking?"

It's mostly workflow related. The documentary I mentioned earlier will probably shoot about 250 hours in the filed using 2 cameras (so 500hrs worth of media) plus second system sound and I just don't know how well PPro will deal with that. Will the project file get too big and unstable (like with FCP 7)? Will a 3 hour assembly that's all multicam be responsive when editing? How robust is the media management? All finishing will be done out of house and I've read that PPro to Da Vinci via XML is rocky sometimes. I also don't know if there are any 'gotchas' when sending AAFs/OMFs from PPro to ProTools.

To me the question is not, "Can it be done?" but "How well it can be done?". I mean, I could run a marathon in high heels but why would I choose high heels over running shoes (especially if I'm running competitively)?

I'm working with PPro on a documentary web series right now (also multicam with second system sound) and I'm using it as a test bed for PPro workflows as the mixing and finishing will be done outside of PPro. If it all goes well then I might try and find a low-budget feature length doc to use it on and if that goes well then I'll probably start recommending it for higher budget, feature length projects. I'm more a 'safety first' type guy so I don't want to jump into deep water with tools I'm not completely comfortable with.

On the web series (where the episodes are only 8-10 min each) I've already run into some things that give me pause about using it on a feature length project. For example, I've discovered a bug where if you have multiple instances of the same sequence with lots of multicam clips in it in a project (say Cut_v1, Cut_v2, Cut_v3, etc.,) and one of those sequences is open then the entire program slows to a crawl. For example, If I have Cut_v3 open and the other cuts are sitting in my "Old Cuts" folder all of Premiere gets insanely sluggish and even doing something simple like opening a menu will cause it to beach ball. If I delete the older cuts then everything gets snappy again. My work around right now is to do a "Save As" and version the whole project instead of versioning my cuts. Not as quick but not horrible either.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:54:31 pm

Thanks - all really helpful info.

I guess the advantage you always have with major studio features is an invisible army of tech-savvy drones who can work miracles for you.

Which means that nothing is impossible.

Not like the real world so much.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:57:02 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "I guess the advantage you always have with major studio features is an invisible army of tech-savvy drones who can work miracles for you.
"

Exactly, if Walter Murch didn't have Sean Cullen (his longtime AE) and the guys at Digital FilmTree crafting custom solutions FCP 3 would have never been used on "Cold Mountain". Bless those guys, and other trail blazers like them, but I'm just not in a position to do that right now. lol

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:24:11 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:25:33 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Exactly, if Walter Murch didn't have Sean Cullen (his longtime AE) and the guys at Digital FilmTree crafting custom solutions FCP 3 would have never been used on "Cold Mountain"."

Quite so.

Which is why I'm not necessarily impressed to hear that any particular NLE is being used to cut a studio feature, whatever it's budget may or may not be.

What's significant is who has made the decision to use it - if it's Walter Murch or David Fincher, that counts for a great deal, cos these are guys who make the weather and change the landscape.

On that basis, this is surely a very big deal.

Simon Ubsdell
hawaiki.co

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:31:51 pm

I agree - this is really the first big coup for Premiere... ever and may have even greater effect than the Murch Cold Mountain announcement - although those were the days when Apple did a lot of advertising for pro apps and I remember all those beautiful full page ads in Post etc.

But Fincher carries even more weight than Murch so this could cause a tidal wave for sure. I wonder if they're on Mac or PC? I assume Mac?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 2, 2014 at 10:16:34 pm

[Andrew Kimery] " For example, I've discovered a bug where if you have multiple instances of the same sequence with lots of multicam clips in it in a project (say Cut_v1, Cut_v2, Cut_v3, etc.,) and one of those sequences is open then the entire program slows to a craw"

Andrew, I routinely duplicate large sequences and have not run into this issue at all. Mind you, they're not multicam. Are you running the latest CC?

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Apr 2, 2014 at 11:03:15 pm

[David Cherniack] "Andrew, I routinely duplicate large sequences and have not run into this issue at all. Mind you, they're not multicam. Are you running the latest CC?"

I am running the latest CC and I'm pretty sure multicam is the culprit. If I flatten all the multicam clips (both audio and video) then the problem goes away. As a test I've also made 3 hour long timelines full of edits (single camera only) and duplicated the sequence multiple times with no ill effect. Some how it seems like the 'processing overhead' involved with handling multicam clips gets compounded each time the sequence is duplicated. I'm also using XDCAM EX (EX3) and some AVCHD (FS700) and that might be part of the problem too but I don't have any other media to test with at this time.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 3, 2014 at 1:03:50 am

[Andrew Kimery] " Some how it seems like the 'processing overhead' involved with handling multicam clips gets compounded each time the sequence is duplicated. I'm also using XDCAM EX (EX3) and some AVCHD (FS700) and that might be part of the problem too but I don't have any other media to test with at this time."

It's not likely to be the footage codec. Usually inactive sequences draw no processing power whatsoever, once the project fully loads and all the material is confirmed that's clips are still where they were last seen and that they haven't been modified. It must be some strange multi-cam related bug as you say. If you haven't already reported it please do so. One of the advantages of CC is more rapid bug fixes.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]