FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cool new Adobe stuff to debate...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Bachelder
Cool new Adobe stuff to debate...
on Apr 2, 2014 at 6:09:18 pm

http://tv.adobe.com/show/adobe-at-nab-2014/

It is kinda nice to know I'll automatically get these updates as they're online...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Cool new Adobe stuff to debate...
on Apr 2, 2014 at 6:27:01 pm

Well, ya did arguably pay $600 bucks for them before they were even available, and without knowing if they were worth paying for. :)

But hey, that's the subscription model. Hopefully they'll keep adding good stuff and continue to be competitive. But once a few years go by and you've done quite a lot of work with CC, you'll need to continue to subscribe just to open the old files. At least for a month at a time.

Sounds worse that cable. At least if I switch from DirectTV to Comcast I can still watch the same shows.

That is one horrible analogy but I'm sticking to it. :)

The Adobe stuff does look pretty cool. Wish I could buy it.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 2, 2014 at 6:53:45 pm

Short term this would interest me but long term it will get expensive at least for someone who is an independent filmmaker, let alone does this for a hobby. My two cents.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:15:40 pm

Not sure about the $600 in advance thing - Adobe did a fairly substantial feature update with 7.2 which would never have happened with the old model. Now with DCP ability added just kicking out one DCP will save me enough to pay for 2 years of CC.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 5:54:46 am

I think what I may try to do this year, as my adobe cc expires in a month, is to just go month to month. An every month I can avoid using Adobe, I'm gonna buy me a nice plugin instead of sending them $80.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 5, 2014 at 4:31:24 am

$80?

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 5, 2014 at 6:08:07 am

The month to month price of CC

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Apr 5, 2014 at 8:02:20 pm

before we would have gotten all those goodies for jusy $350. bucks. and it would have been all ours.

Ricardo Marty

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:13:55 pm

At least one thing FCPX has had since launch: pitch-shift scrubbing.

And at least one legitimately cool thing in the ability to add effects/CC to items in the browser, and have it downstream to all the clips in your timelines. I'd like to see that in X. You can currently phoney that by doing a "open in timeline" and adding effects to that, but this removes a step.

All the NLEs will trade back and forth the best of breed features.

With a large and growing subscriber base, I don't see Adobe slowing down any time soon.

Looking forward to seeing what Apple may have to offer. No pre-NAB maintenance release yet. Maybe that means a feature release next week after the press briefings this weekend.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:28:43 pm

[Marcus Moore] " At least one thing FCPX has had since launch: pitch-shift scrubbing."

Yep, pitch-shift scrubbing is totally worth entirely scrapping your Adobe-based workflow for FCPX.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:31:43 pm

[Gary Huff] "Yep, pitch-shift scrubbing is totally worth entirely scrapping your Adobe-based workflow for FCPX."

Yup. Cause that's what I said...

I was only pointing out the proverbial yin and yang. Good ideas from X make it over to Pr, and an idea from Pr Id like to see make it over to X.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:59:42 am

Uh, my FCP X doesn't change pitch when scrubbing or using JKL. How would I get it to do that? It doesn't even change pitch in slow (K&L or J&K together) mode.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 3, 2014 at 5:40:46 am

[Bret Williams] "Uh, my FCP X doesn't change pitch when scrubbing or using JKL."

It does, but not in the way you think. When you play at 2x speed, the audio plays back at the same pitch as when playing back at 1x speed. FCPX automatically pitch shifts the audio down so that it's presumably easier to understand.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 5:48:35 am

I think I'd rather have it get higher when it goes faster. I've always found that to be more understandable than the choppy sampled sound. I never thought of this as a benefit or a feature. I always thought they were too cheap to make it change pitch when you sped it up. Go figure.

Return to posts index

Jari Innanen
on Apr 4, 2014 at 3:58:27 pm
Last Edited By Jari Innanen on Apr 5, 2014 at 7:35:56 am

[Bret Williams] "I think I'd rather have it get higher when it goes faster. I've always found that to be more understandable than the choppy sampled sound. I never thought of this as a benefit or a feature. I always thought they were too cheap to make it change pitch when you sped it up. Go figure."

Bret I hope you're just kidding! That is a killer feature in X and huge time saver, but obviously not in your workflow.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 2, 2014 at 7:31:22 pm

[Marcus Moore] "At least one thing FCPX has had since launch: pitch-shift scrubbing."

How about Ae being able to create templates featuring text you can edit in Premiere?

This kind of two-way integration is one of my favorite features with FCPX/M5, and I'm very happy to see it starting with Ae and Pr.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 2, 2014 at 9:19:56 pm

[Walter Soyka] "How about Ae being able to create templates featuring text you can edit in Premiere?"

I was kinda surprised they didn't already have that. Hopefully the implementation will be smooth, but from what I could tell it didn't look all that customizable from within Premiere.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Apr 3, 2014 at 3:29:59 am

[Andy Neil] ""How about Ae being able to create templates featuring text you can edit in Premiere?""

What does this remind me of? Let me think.... Oh yeah FCP 7 & Motion.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:06:06 am

Yep. One nifty thing has always been the ability to put a Motion project into FCP (legacy included) with certain publishable parameters. Either text or drop zones.

But the difference here is that Adobe is stepping up to the plate and adding features like publishing text, and Apple has lost features like their version of dynamic link, send to motion. It's been missing for nearly 3 years now. Yikes.

Man they need to address that pronto.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 3, 2014 at 4:18:09 pm

[Dave Jenkins] "[Andy Neil] ""How about Ae being able to create templates featuring text you can edit in Premiere?""

What does this remind me of? Let me think.... Oh yeah FCP 7 & Motion."

Each year at the SuperMeet Adobe explains their new features, and I turn to my Premiere using friend and say... seriously... they didn't have that already? We had that in FCP7 (some things even before that).

Hopefully this year they'll have some things that we can say... wish we had that in FCP X...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 3, 2014 at 1:14:11 pm

[Andy Neil] "I was kinda surprised they didn't already have that. Hopefully the implementation will be smooth, but from what I could tell it didn't look all that customizable from within Premiere."

You're right, both in that it is long overdue and in that it's just text replacement.

But I still think it's an exciting feature. Dynamic Link has always been a one-way street, a way for one Adobe app to send frames to another without a rendered intermediate file. This is the first two-way implementation from Adobe where one app sends data to another and receives rendered frames back. I've filed feature requests for more along these lines.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]