FORUMS: list search recent posts

clips & angles

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Junior
clips & angles
on Mar 30, 2014 at 6:16:44 pm

HI there-

I"m new to fcp 10.1 and have most of the basics down, but do have a question about the best way to edit something.

first of all, i'ts quite possible i set this up the wrong way to begin with, so any tips on how to go back and do this properly would be appreciated.

we shot an interview recently with 2 cameras and just used an old school clap board to sync audio once it was brought into the editor. hadn't realized during shooting that the two were working at different frame rates so it ended up being a bit of a bear to sync it up. but we dog it done.

now with the audio & video properly synced we cut out all the stuff we don't want by blading out all the garbage, and each time we bladed on one track we bladed identically on the other to keep everything identical on top and bottom with the two streams of video (to retain sync)

at the end of the day the two tracks really are just two camera angles that we want to swtich back and forth between. Here's a pic of how it looks:

http://www.rayjuniorshow.com/stockpile/pix/fcp1.jpg

I heard there was a way to get FCP to give me angles that I can switch between but have no idea how to do that. I searched and tried to figure it out but i think i'm just too thick to get this one on my own. it doesn't look too complicated, but i'm missing something because I'm not sure what to do.

thanks

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: clips & angles
on Apr 1, 2014 at 7:01:24 am

I'm guessing angles is in multicam.

Personally what I do is reduce each clip to 50% and sit them side by side. I then watch the interview and decide which angle to keep.

At the end return them to 100% and centred.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:21:56 pm

[Ray Junior] "i'ts quite possible i set this up the wrong way to begin with, so any tips on how to go back and do this properly would be appreciated."

Based on what you posted, there is a better way to do what you're trying to do. It's called multicam editing.

Basically, you take your two camera angles, select them in the browser and choose Make Multicam clip. FCPX will listen to the audio on your clips and automatically sync up the angles (even those with different frame rates).

What you're left with is a single clip which you can edit into a project and then trim and blade and remove what you don't want. From there, you can also view both angles simultaneously and change the angle you want to see.

I did a two-part tutorial on the multicam feature back when it was new. It still works the same way in this version of FCPX.

Multicam Part 1

Multicam Part 2

Good luck.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Ray Junior
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:24:54 pm

Andy,

thanks so much for the reply.

what i we want to include other angles that were not recorded at that time? some b-roll we want to cut back and forth between?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:27:42 pm

Well the multiclip is there merely to make it easy to switch back and forth between cameras shooting the same event at the same time. If you have broll, you can easily edit it as connected clips above your multiclip just like you would with any other edit.

Andy

Return to posts index

Ray Junior
on Apr 1, 2014 at 5:28:26 pm

darn - was hoping to just swtich back and forth

thanks

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Apr 2, 2014 at 3:21:53 am

You can add any broll you like to a multiclip. But what if the clip you want to use is earlier in the angle than the spot in the multiclip? But there's nothing stopping you. All you need to do is double-click the multiclip to open it in the angle viewer. Then add a new angle by clicking the downward arrow you can find in each angle "lane". Then drag your clip from the browser into the multiclip and away you go.

Andy

Return to posts index

Ray Junior
on Apr 2, 2014 at 5:14:41 am

oh ok thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]