FORUMS: list search recent posts

Event clip appearance constantly reverting to default setting. .

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Dobson
Event clip appearance constantly reverting to default setting. .
on Mar 25, 2014 at 6:36:57 pm

If I wasn't dreaming I seem to recall Oliver Peters mentioning this bug.

I'm using 2 monitors, Events on Left hand and Time line etc on Right. I always set the clip appearance to smallest size, no waveform and clip appearance duration set to all. Frequently when re-opening the application the clip appearances have reverted to a default large size and shorter clip appearance duration - and yes I've reported this to Apple.

Another thing that happens is that if I take a short break, put the kettle on or something like that, when I return to my desk the display has reverted to a single monitor.

Anyone else encounter these bugs? It's these sorts of small things I would rather were sorted than the big changes. I've always been a keen supporter of FCPX and don't like to moan to much and all I'm after really is a reliable platform that works consistently and is bug free.

Too much to ask?

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
Re: Event clip appearance constantly reverting to default setting. .
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:46:00 pm

I have had constant problems with these issues, v10.1.1

For awhile the app will open with all my preferences, then suddenly onetime it will have gone to default layout.

And although it seems like a "ghost in the machine" I have at least twice experienced the change to default EVEN THOUGH I NEVER QUIT THE APP!

AppleCare techs, by the way, have blamed this on the Settings Preferences>General checkbox concerning restoring window layouts. Not that they know anything about FCPX.

I don't know if the Mavs OS settings CAN override the FCPX preferences, but I know it DID happen with Safari. I had Safari prefs set to restore window layout, but learned that the Settings Prefs panel was overriding that. Once I un-checked the "Close windows" box, Safari prefs have been working correctly.

And since it is now un-checked, the theory that it is affecting FCPX should be moot.

Additionally, Mavs sometimes gets confused with multiple desktops when in the Dual Monitor mode.

I will have FCPX running on it's own desktop (among as many as five desktops), with Events on the laptop and everything else on the external LCD. Usually, a swipe to another desktop and then return to FCPX works fine ... but SOMETIMES I will try to swipe back and get only half the app, either the Events on the laptop but nothing on the LCD, OR the reverse - Most of the app on the LCD, but no Events on the laptop. Either way, I have to click the app in the Dock to get both monitors back in FCPX.

And it was during one of these "swipes" that FCPX returned me NOT to my dual monitor setup but to the default single screen layout!

FCPX definitely too twitchy about layouts!

And while we're at it, Apple, please allow me to move ANYTHING anywhere, a la PhotoShop.

Sure, you can start with the default, integrated-looking app that is so easy for the novice to understand. BUT allow a Drag (or Option-Drag) to pull "palettes" or modules OUT of the default container, and onto another screen.

Sometimes I want a FULLSCREEN Timeline, as I used to do in FCP7, when working on a a lot of audio waveform cutting and mixing. I would also like to pull the audio meters off the Timeline, and even the Inspector or Scopes into their own location.

I am sure Apple is afraid the average consumer won't be able to find their way back. But even the crazy-confusing PhotoShop has a simple pull-down that allows resetting the workspace.

Put a big red button that says "Clean Up My App" for all I care. Just allow some control across screens.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 26, 2014 at 1:43:49 am

Some of this is probably X's fault, a lot of it is Mavericks. Probably not too long 'til one or both get updated, maybe they'll sort it out...

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "I am sure Apple is afraid the average consumer won't be able to find their way back."
Not so sure about that... I think they're trying to make something that'll work on a single screen, a laptop. It would be nice if they had a "desktop" setting though. :-) The fact that there are layout and "Final Cut Pro" selections in the window menu leads me to believe that there is, or was, something planned for them. Who knows...

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "Sure, you can start with the default, integrated-looking app that is so easy for the novice to understand. BUT allow a Drag (or Option-Drag) to pull "palettes" or modules OUT of the default container, and onto another screen."

I kinda like how SoundTrack Pro works. Everything in a unified window, but you can drag stuff out if you want. For X, my perfect world would be Libraries/Browser full height on one monitor, timeline and full height inspector on another, and viewers/other random bits (meters etc) on a 3rd. Oh well...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 26, 2014 at 3:11:45 am

Charlie, that sounds ideal! We're sending you, as Cow Forum Rep, to Cupertino to present our demands!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:23:44 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "We're sending you, as Cow Forum Rep, to Cupertino to present our demands!"

lol... I've been presenting demands to them for a while now, I think they're sick of me. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 26, 2014 at 4:20:49 pm

One thing I've noticed, is there are separate settings for the Library and each event. So if I have set the thumbnail duration to All in one event, then the next time I open the Library it is on the Library, the Library is still set to the default 30s. But if I highlight my Event, it is still set to All.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]