FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes????

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Heagy
ProRes????
on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:08:28 pm

What does the clearly consumer approach Apple has taken with FCPX mean for ProRes and companies like Arri, Aja and the more recent Sound Devices and Ninja?

There seems to be two minds at Apple. The smart one that created and expanded ProRes and included Xsan in Lion... and the one responsible for FCPX. For something that

Imagine what Arri is thinking right now! I can't imagine anybody working with an Alexa willing or able to edit on FCPX.

What will be the future of ProRes if pros jump ship to Avid and Premiere! Based on a short conversation at Avid's booth I feel using ProRes in Avid is pushing water up hill. Looks like it's better supported in Premiere. How will Apple react to press describing a feature film shot in ProRes on an Alexa and edited in PP?

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
Re: ProRes????
on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:14:28 pm

[John Heagy] "What does the clearly consumer approach Apple has taken with FCPX mean for ProRes and companies like Arri, Aja and the more recent Sound Devices and Ninja?

There seems to be two minds at Apple. The smart one that created and expanded ProRes and included Xsan in Lion... and the one responsible for FCPX. For something that "

I know I keep repeating this, but people keep asking questions that assume as background that Apple is actually exiting the pro editing market, which is merely an interpretation some people have chosen to read into certain actions that also have other interpretations.

Your "two minds" problem vanishes if you realize that features like ProRes (including support for 4K ProRes 4:4:4:4) are indicative of FCP X being a professional app that merely hasn't had its full desired feature set implemented yet. This is a common Apple pattern with initial product releases.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:47:33 pm

So why don't they speak up then, announce what will be added, reassure people, give some sort of a roadmap?
Not Apple's style? Well, then they deserve the boot. Quite simple. Arrogance hardly every pays off in the long run.
Other companies are actually capable of talking to their users:
http://blogs.adobe.com/sforde/2011/06/27/we-are-here-to-compete/

Return to posts index

Kaito Tanno
on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:51:33 pm

Clearly it has paid off for Apple in the long run.

I can tell you for a fact, Apple works to fix and improve things very quickly behind the scenes and I am sure we will see movement in the not to distant future.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:23:54 pm

[Peter Blumenstock] "So why don't they speak up then, announce what will be added, reassure people, give some sort of a roadmap?
Not Apple's style? Well, then they deserve the boot. Quite simple. "

I hate to keep repeating myself, but people keep raising the same points.... They have talked to Pogue, Studio Daily, and others. A more formal response, it it comes, can be expected to take them a week or two to put together, based on their reaction time with previous similar Internet blowups.

--

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:22:38 am

"Thank You For Smoking"

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:29:51 pm

[Chris Kenny] "that assume as background that Apple is actually exiting the pro editing market, which is merely an interpretation"

If by interpretation you mean evaluating a shipping product... we are reacting to what Apple has done. You are banking on what you believe Apple will do. We can't afford to do that.

I'd be very interested in what kind of reaction Apple expected. If they expected pros to embrace this then heaven help us all, as they are completely out of touch. If they hunkered down and anticipated the current reaction... there's hope.

My hope is Apple is releasing this to the "pajama editors" of the world as beta testers to solidify the editing core and then start plugging in real workflow necessities. An admittedly faint hope.

Not being able to open FCP7 projects is stupefying and takes it off the table for many.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 27, 2011 at 11:50:22 pm

[John Heagy] "If by interpretation you mean evaluating a shipping product... we are reacting to what Apple has done."

An objective evaluation of the shipping product does not unambiguously support that interpretation. Yes, it's true that the app has features that are useful to consumers, but many of the ones that people like to toss around, like Vimeo support, are not exclusively useful to consumers. We upload stuff to Vimeo all the time for clients to proof.

And yes, it's true that there are pro features missing, but there are also a lot of pro features that are there, that would make no sense in an actual consumer-oriented app: 4K, video scopes (well above average for software scopes, too), DPX/OpenEXR exports, audio role metadata, etc.

To me, FCP X looks far more like a pro app with an incomplete feature set than a consumer app.

[John Heagy] "You are banking on what you believe Apple will do. We can't afford to do that."

Nobody needs to 'bank' on anything here, really. There is no immediate action that shops on FCP 7 need to take at this time.

[John Heagy] "My hope is Apple is releasing this to the "pajama editors" of the world as beta testers to solidify the editing core and then start plugging in real workflow necessities. An admittedly faint hope."

Apple likes to ship early; often before they've had time to implement features that 'everyone knows' a product in a given category is supposed to have. Practically every first-generation Apple product announcement results in loud complaints about missing features. This was even true of the iPad, which current management seems to believe is the single most important product the company sells.

--

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:23:04 am

"Thank You For Smoking"

---

http://www.peterdv.com

Return to posts index

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:22:10 am

"Thank You For Smoking"