FORUMS: list search recent posts

Locking tracks - still annoying me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
Locking tracks - still annoying me
on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:19:00 pm

I don't use the multi cam feature. Don't ask why, I just prefer my method.

I have 3 video tracks stacked. Underneath I detach the audio from the main cam, so I have 4 tracks.

Next I watch it, hitting cut to cut all at points I want to swap camera angles.

In FCP7 I would lock the audio track and it wouldn't get cut.

In FCPX I cannot and the audio track gets cut up.

Not the end of the world, but very messy in my timeline and a bit irksome when someone really should have coded in the ability to lock a track (or secondary storyline).

Also, audio waveforms in 10.1 seem worse than before. I listen and watch my interviews audio and make cuts based on the waveforms because i know where the subject is talking and where they are silent.

thing is, you cut the audio track and the waveform to the left of the cut remains whilst to the right, the bit I am now working on, vanishes (before it just went wonky), so to use the waveforms as a guide, which is very useful for me, I have to stop and play again.

it's these little things that make me wonder what is going on in the pro apps department.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Locking tracks - still annoying me
on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:27:17 pm

Seems like this could be remedied if they would by default highlight the clip to the right of the cut after a blade operation. But just like legacy, they highlight the portion behind it. Makes no sense to me. If they highlighted the right portion, you'd be able to select the clips to be affected by the cmd+b operation, and play through, only cutting those clips, and not the audio.

I can see why they don't have locking. What would it lock? Would it lock the connection to the primary or would it lock in time to the timeline? The former is how it always functions, and the latter goes against the whole concept of X, but would likely be a welcome addition. But there's no reason they couldn't implement a function lock which would mean no inspector adjustments in any way, and no trimming (blading included) adjustments.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:46:42 pm

I see the audio waveform issue you describe, from time to time. The wave form eventually comes back, upon resizing or some other activity -- so I just assumed it was a render-RAM-redraw issue, and the CPU had not caught up on rendering new audio thumbnails.

As for the "tracks" issue, I think many on this forum would simply state "there are no tracks in X" so you're already using the app in an odd way.

Multicam works fine, but your work-around sounds okay, as well. I really like the fact that X lets you take your cursor and skim it over ONLY the clip you want to see, and it will show THAT clip in the Viewer. I assume this is how you are working: three videos stacked, in sync ... you skim over each clip to decide where you want to cut. After you cut, do you disable the other three shots (using "V" key), so you "see" only the desired clip? Or do you delete unwanted clips while in "P" cursor mode, leaving behind gap clips in their place?

Anyway, the simple way to work, IMHO, is to park the cursor at your desired cut point, drag-select ALL the video tracks and then "cmd-B" -- which will razor blade ONLY the selected videos, NOT your detached (and un-selected) Master Audio.

------

There are probably other work-around. Have you tried putting all four shots in Auditions, and switching between shots?

Or maybe you could use Compound Clips: Lay out the Timeline as described, with three stacked videos, in sync, and a Detached Audio below (your Master Audio). Then select ONLY the videos and make a Compound Clip. Double click into the new CC, and do your cutting there.

In this scenario you would obviously use the scratch audio on each video as a reference to make your cuts within the Compound Clip.

Then back out of the CC, into your master Timeline, and see how you cuts play against the un-touched Master Audio.

Anyone else have other ideas?

BTW, the only downside I have found to Multicam mode is that when I cut on my little 13" MBPr, I must make Proxy files, or I run into dropped frames.

D

Doug D

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:19:46 pm

Actually I resize the clips so that they are 40% each and place them around the window so I can see each of them. After I have made my cuts, say in a 6 minute piece, I delete the unwanted angles then put them all back to 100% size with copy paste attributes.

it's how I used to edit 6 camera music live sessions before decent multi cam was around, and when multi cam came i found it cumbersome compared to my method because my method simply worked for how my mind works with editing. it also allowed me to grade all the shots from a single camera easily (as they were on a single track back in 7) and generally made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

As for the track locking, I simply want to lock a secondary storyline so that the cut tool, which can cut through all tracks at once (lanes, whatever, they are tracks with a different dance move), doesn't cut the track I lock, the audio track in this case.

Again, not a huge deal but I just don't get why it can't be added, especially if the audio clip (or video clips if you need) are in a self contained secondary storyline (track).

And thanks for the workaround ideas but neither would be practical for my needs. I may well have not explained what I do very clearly though. it is always clearer in one's head than through the words one uses to describe what is in one's head :)

Return to posts index

James Cude
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:26:04 pm

Just a suggestion but are you aware of the Angle Editor- which would let you arrange the clips into lockable 'tracks' and provide you full access to one of the better features of X: multicam.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12661

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:29:18 pm

Cheers, perhaps at some point I will revisit the multi cam in X but the only time I tried it it just felt like it was handcuffing the way I like to cut multi cam, so I do it my way, which tends to give me total freedom and allows my mind to focus on the edit.

Just didn't enjoy the multi-cam when I tried it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:47:55 pm

As well, it's where you apply a single grade to one camera angle and it applies to all the cuts. Either before or after the edit. FCP 7 didn't work this way. So in X you can go back and adjust the grade of all the camera 3 cuts by just opening up the angle editor and adjusting the one single grade.

Work the way you like of course. It's just bordering on bizarre. :)

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:49:47 pm

Haha, maybe, but it works for me really well :)

I'm sure when I have the time and headspace I will revisit the multi cam and see, but for now I'd just like to lock/protect my audio track :)

And I grade before the cut so everything is already graded, but the above you described does sound very good for after the fact tweaks. So sure, one day i shall have a look :)

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Mar 24, 2014 at 6:50:08 pm

It seems clear. Whatever works for you; I read all kinds of specific comments about the app on this forum that I've never encountered because I don't happen to work that way.

I guess the best advice is to submit feedback to Apple. If they hear about "locking" items they may include in a future update.

I especially like the idea of locking a secondary storyline, so that you can work on clips INSIDE that storyline, but the "container" itself is impervious to cuts, trims etc.

-----

I just tried your method, three videos, reduced to 40% and stacked in the Viewer, detached audio. The work-around indeed is to drag-select the three videos after each cut is made, and continue to play. When you get to a cut point and cmd-b, you cut only the vids, not the audio.

A pain I agree.
:-)

Doug D

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:49:42 pm

If only the app selected the clips after the cut.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 24, 2014 at 7:50:49 pm

in fact, very much yes please. I think I think that after other things too though can't remember at the moment. It just seems bizarre that it prioritises the past in terms of the edit rather than what is coming up and I, at least, am focussing on next.

Return to posts index

Jacob Brown
on Apr 2, 2014 at 6:22:04 pm

hey Julian, someone may have already kind of mentioned this, but if you were to turn the video tracks into a single compound clip after you had resized and repositioned, then you would i think be able to edit in the same way....without effecting the audio track or having to drag select after every cut.

then after you make your edit, you can just select all the clips and "break apart clips" and end up with yout stacked and cut clips

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]