FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render Speed with FCPX 10.1 and Mac Pro 2013 (8 core and 64GB RAM)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael O'Hare
Render Speed with FCPX 10.1 and Mac Pro 2013 (8 core and 64GB RAM)
on Mar 23, 2014 at 6:35:43 pm

Hi all. Question for all FCPX users using the new Mac Pro. Are there any config settings I need to review to ensure I'm getting the fastest render times?

I had a 2009 Mac Pro and am now fully upgraded to the new 8-core Mac Pro (3Ghz) with 64GB RAM and 2 D700 GPUs. I just tried rendering an old file that I created and rendered on my old machine, and while faster, I was disappointed. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or I don't recall how much longer it used to take.

I have a 25 minute video in FCPX. It's 1920x1080 at 29.97fps. There are about 30 slices with basic transitions, 150 or so text "bugs" that bring up a few lines of text during the video and some background music. It's not a complex production but it is 25 minutes of HD.

It took about 10 or more minutes to render the file and it's taking 15 to 20 to share/export it in H.264 (down into a 4GB file).

Is this about right? It's definitely not "twice as fast" as my 2009 with regards to bouncing it out. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
Re: Render Speed with FCPX 10.1 and Mac Pro 2013 (8 core and 64GB RAM)
on Mar 23, 2014 at 7:45:03 pm

In Compressor advanced settings, enable additional Compressor instances. Apple has a table of recommended settings somewhere on the innerweb. I'd guess your machine will be 3 or 4 instances. My 6 core/32GB uses 2 instances.

Return to posts index

Michael O'Hare
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:32:55 pm

Thx Bob! But I'm on FCPX 10.1.1 and don't use Compressor. I'm not sure where the instance settings are withint FCPX. I'm concerned about render and export times, not just compression on export.

Michael

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:35:21 pm

There's nothing about this machine that will accelerate standard video renders beyond cores and CPU speed. The advantage of the GPUs is for effects that are OpenCL-accelerated and possibly some other functions, like RED DeBayering.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael O'Hare
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:45:26 pm

Thanks Oliver. I agree, but I went from a 2.93 Quad Core Mac Pro with 8gb to an 8-core with 64GB and I've heard how blazing fast the new Mac Pro is with FCPX, but I'm not seeing it at all. It seems to be 50% faster at the most I think. Just making sure there is nothing to adjust/set up.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:54:23 pm

I think it depends on your effects. For example, if everyone of your video clips had a scaling effect applied to it, you would probably see a greater difference. Plus, I don't know if there's any acceleration specifically of H264 exports. I've read somewhere that this is actually faster with the i7 processors than Xeons, because there is a specific technology used in them that isn't part of the Xeon architecture.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:25:53 pm

If you can get away with it, don't render before you export, but simply export the timeline.

Your new MacPro should have a lot more real time playback capability.

50% is pretty significant.

This cuts 12h renders to 6.

What Oliver mentions is called Intel QuickSync and apparently it is not available on Xeons.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Mar 24, 2014 at 10:02:04 am
Last Edited By Bob Woodhead on Mar 24, 2014 at 10:02:54 am

Oops. Maybe I should read the WHOLE post. Assumed you were talking 'bout exports.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Mar 25, 2014 at 8:37:03 pm

Iain Anderson on MacProVideo has some interesting posts about reducing your export time. Not rendering before is one of the hints but there are others related to the exports if the destination is the web and Vimeo for example. In essence you can reduce the bit rate and number of passes to 15 Mb/s and 1 respectively.

Hope I’m allowed to post this link:
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/final-cut-pro-x-performance-test

and this:
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/fcp-x-and-compressor-hardware-enco...

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]