FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Peck
compressor settings
on Mar 23, 2014 at 4:33:33 pm

I need to compress a 30 minute video that will be projected at a event. The master is a large uncompressed at 1080 24 file. It is currently about 21 gigs.

What would be a safe compression setting. It will probably be played on a mac but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not involved with playback. I don't want to hear any complaints from the client. I want it to look as good as it can but still play back smoothly. The client requested a h.264 1080 file. I was thinking 720p file would be easier for playback.

I'm using compressor.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: compressor settings
on Mar 23, 2014 at 4:45:02 pm

You really need to know what they'll be playing it back on.
What will struggle on a Core2Duo will fly on a current Quad i7.
If you "aim low" the quality may suffer.

Mac or Windows shouldn't make too much difference as WMP 12 plays back H.264 .mp4 and H.264 .mov just fine without Quicktime.

Return to posts index

Tony Peck
on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:16:23 pm

Since I'm not going to know what machine it is going to be played back on I'm more interested in smooth playback over quality.

Thanks,
Tony

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 23, 2014 at 5:26:15 pm

[Tony Peck] "I don't want to hear any complaints from the client. I want it to look as good as it can but still play back smoothly."

Then you should find out what's going to be used for playback. It's the only way to be sure and to advise the client if they're using an underpowered machine.

However, I make compressed H264s for companies all the time and have good results with 1080 at 5000kbps. H264 is pretty low bandwidth and plays on most machines easily.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 23, 2014 at 6:36:52 pm

Compressor 4.1.1 now seems to do its best H.264 encoding at High Profile CABAC (single pass only). It's the closest Apple seems to get to x264 quality... yet it's the toughest to play back on some older devices so I'd ask before doing such encode. Otherwise one can do Main Profile CAVLC MultiPass which may be slightly lower quality and take longer to encode (given multi pass).

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Mar 23, 2014 at 7:28:03 pm

I had pretty much the same question a little bit ago. Download Handbrake for free.

set the constant quality slide between 18-20, and the x264 preset slider to slow.

Now that said, I have only played it back on a computer screen where it looked the same as the much larger file out of FC. But I was told that Handbrake's version of x.264 (a type of H.264 is better than compressor's.

It is used by a lot of pros. The interface is very easy to learn. Export your project as a master file and import into hand brake. You'll see the two sliders. Beyond that I'd post at the compression forum.

Also do a search for x.264.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]