FORUMS: list search recent posts

CUDA Driver Update Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
CUDA Driver Update Issue
on Mar 22, 2014 at 8:46:04 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 22, 2014 at 9:08:46 pm

I keep getting a message that says I need to update the CUDA driver. Problem is when I click the Install CUDA Update button I get a message that states no new drivers are available. Did a system restart, same result. Anyone else having this issue?

Details:

Mac OS X 10.9.2
FCP X 10.1.1
Motion 5.1
Red Giant Universe
Resolve 10.1.3
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

* Edit *
I ran disk utility to repair permissions and still get the same result.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: CUDA Driver Update Issue Nevermind
on Mar 22, 2014 at 9:44:34 pm

I never got this message until after I installed Resolve on my system. Also found out that I really do not need to do an update since is this an ATI card on my system. Just getting very tired of getting this message. Please help!

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 22, 2014 at 9:51:47 pm

simple answer -
buy a (much needed) NVidia GTX-680 or Quadro 4000, and you will have a Cuda card, not get this error, and get much better performance !

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 23, 2014 at 1:51:31 pm

Thanks for sharing the article. To be on the safe side, just did a clean install, from the ground up. Going to install Resolve later today and follow instructions as listed.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 23, 2014 at 7:26:01 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 23, 2014 at 8:03:39 pm

I guess it is time to update the graphics card. Resolve does not seem to support what is installed at the moment.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 23, 2014 at 11:21:21 pm

Resolve might work fine. It's just telling you it prefers a CUDA card. You have an ATI card listed, which doesn't use CUDA technology anyway. I've run Resolve with the 5870 and it was fine. Does it actually work or simply exit when you try to launch it?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 23, 2014 at 11:50:08 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 23, 2014 at 11:51:34 pm

It tells me that something needs to be updated and try installing the software again. Prior versions did work fine. I think the fact that I deleted the CUDA file from the system library might have been the cause. Even after deleting that file, there is the constant prompt to update the CUDA driver. When ever I log out then back in, or simply start up, that message appears even after deleting the CUDA file. Perhaps by deleting that file it caused me the message as explained above. I did read through the system requirements, so it appears the last two versions are a bit more picky about the graphics card. I am thinking about upgrading the video card but don't want to spend more than necessary. Motion and Final Cut Pro X seem to be more responsive without the CUDA file. I wonder if that could also cause longer than normal render time. Hopefully someone will have an answer. I like Resolve but not error messages.

Here is something about it over in the Resolve forum:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/277/29322

Return to posts index

Verne Mattson
on Mar 24, 2014 at 1:05:41 am

Have you deleted all instances of the CUDA framework from your computer? I have an ATI5870, and after reading Kevin Monahan's advice I deleted the CUDA driver from my hard drive.

I then tried to start Resolve and it crashed. Restarted my computer and I saw that CUDA driver update message. I then searched my computer, and on my backup drive was a copy of the CUDA driver. So I then deleted that copy of the CUDA driver, deleted Resolve and restarted. The message went away, and a reinstall of Resolve worked.

So check your attached drives - maybe there's a copy of the CUDA driver lurking somewhere.

Verne

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 24, 2014 at 3:27:57 am

I think it was the restart that fixed it rather than deleting the backup copy. The backup copy does nothing unless its installed into your System folder.

If you delete a framework or driver, you need to restart, as it was loaded into RAM when you booted your computer and the operating system loaded.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 24, 2014 at 2:53:34 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Mar 24, 2014 at 3:14:53 pm

I searched my computer for other instances but nothing shows up. After restarting the computer, however, I still get that message. I erased the hard drive, clean install from the ground up and still get this message after deleting that file. Also, got a message saying it would not delete the file because it still was in use?

* Edit *

Found another CUDA file, this one was hiding in the shadows. Found the varmint hiding in the Preferences Panes folder. Now that I got rid of that file, no more message. Resolve, however, still refuses to launch.

Here is the message:

DaVinci Resolve cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure DaVinci Resolve works with this version of OS X. You may need to reinstall this application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and OS X.

click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

Well just when things could not go off to deep end, this decides to happen. Pardon me while I go put a large amount of cash in the cussing jar.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Upate It works!
on Mar 24, 2014 at 3:52:12 pm

After spending hours of banging my head against the wall, resulting in a major headache, things are starting to work correctly. Apparently, the CUDA framework file must be left in place. Deleting it resulted in the error message. Deleting the Preferences Pane file got rid of the message about updating CUDA and no more error messages. I feel good, no great!

Return to posts index

William Davis
on Mar 24, 2014 at 4:40:46 pm

I contacted Blackmagic about this issue last week, and this was their reply:

There is an issue with CUDA 5.5.47 with Resolve 10.1.3.
You will have to revert back to CUDA 5.5.28. Please try that and see if that helps.
Link to Cuda driver :

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

If the problem still persists, please get the capture logs and system information for us to review.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 24, 2014 at 5:40:24 pm

I left the CUDA framework file alone. Deleting that caused Resolve not wanting to launch. I did delete the CUDA file from the Preferences Pane folder which got rid of that pesky message about updating. To be on the safe side, I downloaded the new version of Resolve a couple of more times to make sure something was not corrupted before installing. This did happen to me with an OS X update once.

I read somewhere not to update CUDA with an ATI Radeon card as this has been known to cause issues. Applications might act bizarre or, on occasion, crash. I am also going to read the system requirements twice just to avoid any other problems.

Perhaps a new video card might be in order to avoid other issues.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]