FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red 4k Playback

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Koby
Red 4k Playback
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:09:24 pm

Today was the first time I really played around with 4k red (r3d) files in fcpx on the new mac pro after the 10.1 update and the new hardware. This was on a 6 core d500 with 32 GB of ram.

The file plays back smoothly without render. I cropped the image and applied a color correction. It played out great and played out the thunderbolt IO at 1080i no problem. BTW I hadn't noticed before on the crop that it has a percentage readout that tells you when you've reached or exceeded 100% of pixel for pixel resolution which is perfect for this work flow. I checked the Activity monitor and found 666% processor usage (so about half of what the 6 core can handle).

I was pleased...

Is there a way to see realtime feedback on what the GPUs are doing like we can do for the CPUs in Activity Monitor?

Keith

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Red 4k Playback
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:25:26 pm

I'm interested to know exactly what flavor of R3D files you're using Keith?

Don't know if you're aware that RED can shoot at many different compression ratios: i.e. uncompressed, 10:1, 8:1, 5:1, 3:1, 2:1, etc.?

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:18:50 am

Hi David,

According to FCPX it is redcode 7:1. So somewhat middle of the road I guess. We have some 8 core machines here as well. Tomorrow I'll install the red apple workflow on an 8 core d700 Late 2013 Mac Pro and see how much processor it chews up with the same test library.

Keith

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 19, 2014 at 1:16:43 am

Playing back undebayered R3Ds without a RedRocket card is a wonderful thing. Even if you can only do one stream (Higher Quality). I hope we'll see some progress from RED on their 3rd party GPU support at NAB.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:09:48 am

[Marcus Moore] "Playing back undebayered R3Ds without a RedRocket card is a wonderful thing. Even if you can only do one stream (Higher Quality). I hope we'll see some progress from RED on their 3rd party GPU support at NAB."

Third-party GPU decoding support is starting to show up in the wild. DaVinci Resolve and SCRATCH just shipped updates with it in the last couple of days.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 21, 2014 at 1:46:06 am

Right. I'd heard about that.

Will that support come within each app? Would it have to come in an FCPX update or is it part of the Apple Workflow Installer?

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 19, 2014 at 1:36:42 am

And please test some 6k and 5.5k Red Dragon footage. If you don't have any you can get some off the Reduser site.

Thanks,
David

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 19, 2014 at 11:43:26 am

Maybe there's no support yet for > 4k Dragon footage in FCPX? Anyone know?

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:47:18 pm

First test with our nMP (same specs as originator) was awesome off the desktop.
R3Ds are all 6:1 and cache a bit at FULL DEBAYER.
However at HALF its perfect, no waiting at all.
This is all from REDCINE of course no chance to test FCPX yet.
Ultimately we are testing the nMPs with a Magma ExpressBox 3T and ROCKET, Sonnet Tempo SSD Pci (dual Crucial 960GB SSD RAID) sometime tomorrow.
Ive tested with smaller SSDs and were getting wicked MBs from Black Magic Speed Utility.
No where near the internal drive of course (920 MBs avg.).
The nMP is one piece of amazing tech :)

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Mar 19, 2014 at 9:04:44 pm

I played back the file on the 8core d700 machine today in fcpx. I'd say it performed similarly to the 6core d500.

I also rendered out the same timeline on each computer which consisted of a 1 min long 4k clip cropped down to around 1:1 for 1920x1080 (cropped down to about a quarter of the original 4k image). The render time was nearly identical between the two machines. The 6 core was actually 4 seconds faster... 5:32 vs 5:36. I'm curious what the speeds will be for this on RedCineX.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 20, 2014 at 1:16:48 am

Until RED releases their updated GPU acceleration, machines with higher clock speeds will continue to win out here- the GPU simply isn't doing much.

Let's hope RED has something to say at NAB.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 19, 2014 at 2:31:55 pm

I've played with 6K Dragon files in my 2009 Mac Pro. Not the performance, obviously, but support is definitely there.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]