FORUMS: list search recent posts

A (semi) dubious render speed example

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
A (semi) dubious render speed example
on Mar 18, 2014 at 8:54:02 am

Previous 2 projects were rendered on a Macbook Pro Retina (late 2012 i7, 8GB, 256SSD). Media stored on Lacie Thunderbolt 8tb RAID. Cache held on SSD and files being rendered to same RAID.

AE - semi complex multi layered 3minute composition with layers of colour correction, LUT loads and time remapping on BMCC ProRes footage, blurs, text and image layers, cameras and nested comps with some expressions. 1080 25p comp, Same format ProRes footage, outputting to ProRes HQ at 1080 25p.

Pr - 4 minute comp from BMCC ProRes film footage. Had LUT loaded, colour correction and some time remapping. Footage held on RAID. Shot at 1920x1080 25p in ProRes Film format. Outputting to ProRes HQ.

MBPR - Ae - 1hr 39m, Pr - 18m 14s

New Mac Pro - 6 core, 32GB RAM, D700, 512 SSD. Same thunderbolt RAID.

New Mac Pro - Ae - 10m 10s, Pr 3m50s

I make no assurances of my competency to give a totally fair test - I've not really done this too often before, but felt compelled to post the results after clicking render last night in Ae, going to make a coffee and coming back to 95% completion.

I've got some FCPX projects to render out later this week so I'll try and post some times.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
Re: A (semi) dubious render speed example
on Mar 18, 2014 at 8:57:46 am

And yes, I see the contradictory nature of posting render time results from Adobe software in an FCPX forum. It seems that this is now one of the most active ones on the Cow, and a good place to look at apple hardware as any.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 18, 2014 at 10:40:10 am

[Tom Sefton] "And yes, I see the contradictory nature of posting render time results from Adobe software in an FCPX forum. It seems that this is now one of the most active ones on the Cow, and a good place to look at apple hardware as any."

Thanks for posting and feel free to post more results!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:41:28 pm

The FCP X users here are pretty open-minded about Premiere. I wish the converse were also true. :(

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 18, 2014 at 1:56:30 pm

[Brett Sherman] " The FCP X users here are pretty open-minded about Premiere. I wish the converse were also true. :("

I routinely switch back and forth between both, so it is.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:14:10 pm

What were your multiprocessor settings in AE?

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Mar 18, 2014 at 12:58:08 pm

Render multiple frames simultaneously is enabled with 4GB per CPU.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 18, 2014 at 4:28:49 pm

[Tom Sefton] " Render multiple frames simultaneously is enabled with 4GB per CPU."

That's really damn impressive. Interested to know how my nMBPr would hold up with it's 2GB in tota.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 18, 2014 at 6:29:04 pm

Okay, I admit... the title had me. Any post that honest is worth reading.

Those results look promising, and I don't think it matters what you used, as long as it's consistent in the testing...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Mar 19, 2014 at 12:56:18 pm

We are all professionals here and welcome any tips that help our daily lives easier in this field.
Anyone test the Nightflight AE file on a nMP?
I have to find mine (lost in server land) but not sure if it makes sense in this case.
What are people using to benchmark FCPX?
My tests are all Black Magic Disk Speed Utility driven.
I live in R3D world so Im always trying to play catch up to our ROCKET.

Return to posts index

Iain Anderson
on Mar 21, 2014 at 12:40:12 am

Good to see some AE/PP results. My colleague Ben Balser and I did some FCP X speed tests recently on all the Macs we had handy:

http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/final-cut-pro-x-performance-test

He has a new Thunderbolt RAID and I have a slower homemade USB3 software RAID, which explains a lot of the differences, but some of the results are very interesting. But even the complex effects export was much faster than realtime on a modern Mac. A two minute 1080p24 sequence (ProRes HQ, output to ProRes, with Directional Blur, Rain, and Underwater effects applied) took just 21 seconds to export on the Mac Pro, and 41 seconds on a new iMac with a slower drive.

Also note: most of the time, it's much faster if you don't render before exporting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]