FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adding power and FCPX to an existing imac while keeping FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lea Chandler
Adding power and FCPX to an existing imac while keeping FCP7
on Mar 17, 2014 at 2:03:15 pm

I am currently using FCP7 on a desktop mac OS X version 10.6.8. I edit all of my projects to external hard drives for archiving.
I want to add FCPX while keeping FCP7. I know that I will need to upgrade with Maverick.
I also want to add ram to speed up the render process.
My question is, is there a "stack" of external power that I can add to my workflow in conjunction with a firewire external hard drive to ease the process?
Is there anyone that has successfully added anything like this to their system? I'm not ready to purchase a new computer, and I want to keep FCP7 so that I have access to archived projects for clients.
I have been told that I will need to build a wall of sorts between 7 and X in order to maintain the use of 7.
Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.

Return to posts index

William Davis
Re: Adding power and FCPX to an existing imac while keeping FCP7
on Mar 17, 2014 at 5:21:39 pm

I have FCP7 and FCPX installed side by side. If you have Final Cut Studio installed and then install X from the App Store, it will move your legacy apps into a "Final Cut Studio" folder within Applications.

Make sure your Mac is qualified to run Mavericks, and the more RAM you can throw at it the better. I would advise making a complete clone of your internal drive (if not two) as a safety precaution, then wipe the drive and do a clean install of Mavericks, FCP7, and FCPX in that order. It's extra work, but I think you'll have a more stable system with a clean slate.

I have switched between FCP7 and FCPX regularly in an edit session, primarily when I need to master to HDCAM.

Hope this helps,
Bill

Return to posts index

Lea Chandler
on Mar 20, 2014 at 7:05:00 pm

Just to clarify, you would add ram to the computer before the mavericks, FCP7 and FCPX install? And I should clone the drive before adding mavericks and the additional ram?

Return to posts index

Russ Haskell
on Mar 17, 2014 at 6:32:17 pm

My approach was to continue to use FCS 3 on 10.6 (because the software was rock solid on the older OS) and to install Mavericks and FCPX on a separate bootable drive. At first I did a lot of back and forth between the old and new apps and the dual boot arrangement makes it kind of clunky to go from one to the other. As time goes by it's less annoying because I find myself using the 10.6 system less and less.

Russ

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]