FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony F5 and F55 to gain ProRes/DNxHD recording capability

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Garchow
Sony F5 and F55 to gain ProRes/DNxHD recording capability
on Mar 13, 2014 at 10:04:29 pm

This is pretty major. It not only shows that ProRes is going to stick around for a bit, but it is becoming (nearly) an industry standard.

http://blog.abelcine.com/2014/03/13/sony-announces-prores-dnxhd-recording-f...

So even if you don't depend on Apple for you NLE needs, do you depend on them for your edit and deliverable?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
Re: Sony F5 and F55 to gain ProRes/DNxHD recording capability
on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:31:56 pm

Yup. We composite, deliver and finish all our shows in ProRes HQ... even though we cut in Premiere CC.
I think they're put on HDCAM-SR at some point during finishing though. But the entire post production process is 100% ProRes in Premiere.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:05:45 am
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Mar 14, 2014 at 4:20:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So even if you don't depend on Apple for you NLE needs, do you depend on them for your edit and deliverable?"

Yes, at the moment. However there seem to be a growing number of solutions to rendering ProRes in a windows environment. So yes, dependent on QT ProRes, but not necessarily on OSX.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 14, 2014 at 2:42:37 pm

And… if you have an AVID based workflow, the ability to right to DNxHD is a HUGE timesaver!

Sony got this right!

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 14, 2014 at 3:58:38 pm

I'm guessing its QuickTime DNX HD and not MXF, which makes it kind of a wash with ProRes (as both are native and can be consolidated), but I hope to be surprised.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:12:15 am

I'm looking forward to seeing if Avid announces a 4K-capable DNxHD at NAB. I'd use DNxHD more if it were resolution-independent like ProRes is. Instead I usually use image sequences or CineForm, with a little good old QuickTime Animation thrown in for 8b work.

I don't work much with ProRes anymore, but I do deliver it pretty often. My deliveries are probably about 70/30 H.264/ProRes.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:04:26 am

[Walter Soyka] "Instead I usually use image sequences or CineForm, with a little good old QuickTime Animation thrown in for 8b work."

Big thumbs up for CineForm. I'm using it for the first time on a stereo 3D project and the active metadata workflow is fantastic! So is the quality and the customer support. I can't say enough good things about these guys.

I still use ProRes but like you, a lot less. These days I'm mostly cutting native and delivering in h.264. Once CineForm fixes the output bugs with Adobe applications, I may switch to CineFrom as my primary intermediate codec. It's really great.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Mar 15, 2014 at 3:38:50 pm

[David Lawrence] "Once CineForm fixes the output bugs with Adobe applications, I may switch to CineFrom as my primary intermediate codec. It's really great."

Are you on the Mac platform? I have heard that Cineform wasn't very stable on Mac in the past.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Mar 15, 2014 at 6:04:46 pm

[Gary Huff] "Are you on the Mac platform? I have heard that Cineform wasn't very stable on Mac in the past."

I am and it's not. The GoPro Studio software is extremely buggy on the Mac - especially with Panasonic Z10000 stereo 3D files.

I wanted to convert from .MVC files shot with this camera to CineForm .MOV. The only way it was possible was with a PC version of the software. Even then it was very difficult. It took about six weeks working with Jake from customer support and their Mac engineer to come up with a workflow that I successfully used to convert all my files. In the process, we identified a couple bugs with their software and QuickTime that will hopefully be fixed by the next major release. I have to give the CineForm team major props for their outstanding support. They were willing to dig deep and work directly with me to help figure out a solution.

I was willing to jump thru these hoops to get CineForm .MOV masters for the payoff I enjoy now. With CineForm's Active Metadata, I can seamlessly switch between 2D and 3D viewing modes with zero performance penalty in post. I can tweak convergence and do basic image grades, again with no performance hit. It'll make posting this project so much easier and let us focus on creative choices rather then getting bogged down in 3D tech issues.

The big problem now is getting CineForm out of the Adobe encoder. They don't play well together on the Mac. CineForm knows about it and apparently has been trying to get things straightened out but I get the impression they need help from Adobe to make it happen. I hope they get it worked out.

In the meantime, I'm cutting in CineForm and when needed, outputting intermediate files as ProRes 4444.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 16, 2014 at 1:11:08 am

I happened to download the trial of Cineform Studio Premium today and am very impressed. Even though there's now a decent solution for encoding Prores in Windows (Miraizon) it outputs Quicktime which is more like Quicksand on a PC. Disgusting stuff.

DNxHD has to become resolution independent and Adobe has to implement an Alpha channel in AMC. Until then it looks like I'll use Cineform for intermediate renders out of After Effects and 4k intermediates out of Premiere.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]