FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Giant Universe

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Red Giant Universe
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:02:36 pm

http://www.redgiant.com/

Red Giant's answer to Motion templates? With a subscription model.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Red Giant Universe
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:34:42 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Red Giant's answer to Motion templates? With a subscription model."

Looks like it's RG's newest generation of GPU accelerated plugins, offered via subscription model. I think they've done two things right though; 1. there's a free plan, 2. there's a lifetime/buyout plan. The two plans between them $10/mo. and $99/yr. seem exactly right price wise. I think this is huge, and I plan to subscribe to the lifetime plan as soon as it's available. I think Adobe could learn something here. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:41:34 pm

[Shawn Miller] " I think Adobe could learn something here. :-)"

Zing! Kudos to Red Giant for doing something like this. More frequent updates will be worth the price of admission. Hoping that more of our favorite tools will be made available in the Apple family of products, including Particular, the most awesome particle system out there. I will join in and look forward. This has to be the biggest update since the toaster.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:52:15 pm

This is what I've been thinking all day. I'm not sure if FCPX/Motion's recent FXPlug3 support enable's this or not, but plugins from RED GIANT for FCPX and especially Motion would be very welcome.

Just like with AE, Motion has a serviceable built-in particle generator, but Particular for Motion would make me very happy.

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:55:43 am

So how does RG Universe effect RG plugin suites which I already own? I’m dying to try it out, but I also own, and have installed, Magic Bullet Suite, Effects Suite, and Trapcode Suite. I just want to make sure that Universe won’t interfere with my installs and licensing. Thanks. It looks like a great concept! Some of the free presets have effects you could achieve with multiple effects in AE, but they are so much easier to use - a real time saver. I've also posted this question on the RG Universe blog, so if I get an answer there first, I'll post it here. Thanks.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:57:22 am

[Joseph W. Bourke] "So how does RG Universe effect RG plugin suites which I already own? I’m dying to try it out, but I also own, and have installed, Magic Bullet Suite, Effects Suite, and Trapcode Suite. I just want to make sure that Universe won’t interfere with my installs and licensing."

Our AE guy has all that, and installed universe this AM. Works fine so far, :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:36:23 pm

You just beat me to the punch. This looks promising. In relation to this Rampant Design Tools has come out with products for 2k, 4K and above. Noticed that on HD products, the prices have been reduced. This is very exciting news!

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:44:33 pm

[David Mathis] "You just beat me to the punch. This looks promising. In relation to this Rampant Design Tools has come out with products for 2k, 4K and above. Noticed that on HD products, the prices have been reduced. This is very exciting news!"

Did you download the Universe application yet? I just installed it, but haven't tried any of the plugins yet.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:48:49 pm

Not yet, but will do so later today. This is just awesome!

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 12, 2014 at 6:57:58 pm

I just tried a few of the distort and glow effects in AE, very nice - exactly what I expect from Red Giant. I look forward to hearing how these plugins work for the FCPX folks. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:05:31 pm

I think that Genarts has a similar program.

http://www.genarts.com/sapphire/maintenance

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:12:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Red Giant's answer to Motion templates? With a subscription model."

Okay, for the nerdier amongst us. Here's how RG will be churning the plugins out so quickly. After watching this, my first thought was, "why in the world don't we have something like this for building scripts and expressions in AE?". :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:26:59 pm

They are taking over the Universe...of plug-ins, that is.

I assume that if you pay the $399 lifetime up front you still have to pay the $99 per year for the new stuff, but anything you have to date with your subscription is perpetual.

HEY ADOBE, this is a GREAT model! Let's get this thing done....by NAB please. I'll give you my credit card at NAB for a lifetime CC (perpetual with whatever version is current) and purchase 4 seats subscription if you offer it by then.

Otherwise, no deal.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:34:41 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "I assume that if you pay the $399 lifetime up front you still have to pay the $99 per year for the new stuff, but anything you have to date with your subscription is perpetual."

I don't think so. It sounds like a lifetime subscription with no strings.

http://www.redgiant.com/store/universe/pricing

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 7:53:11 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I don't think so. It sounds like a lifetime subscription with no strings."

I think so. The stuff looks great in X and AE, I'lll play with Pr when I get some time. the cross NLE/Cross Platform aspect will be great for finishing etc. Gotta love javascript. :-)

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:06:48 pm

And I assume that is also per seat, unlike CC which technically is two seats per subscription, per se.

But I doubt it is $399 with no additional subscription cost ever.

If it is, that is great, but no way will Adobe buy that idea. However, give me a price, Adobe, that I pay now and whenever I choose to lapse my CC subscription I get to "perpetualize" the current version I have (after updating the whole thing!). That would not put my most current projects in jeopardy with clients. My projects versions would be the same as my software version.

Now we are getting somewhere.....wait, this isn't the Adobe CC forum!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:10:46 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "But I doubt it is $399 with no additional subscription cost ever."

Why not? They still sell their individual packages, I'd guess they'll just add stuff to the premium accounts. Hell, even Apple seems to be going this route. I've only bought FCP X, Compressor, Motion once. All the major updates have been free (so far...)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:34:59 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "But I doubt it is $399 with no additional subscription cost ever."

Just went through the FAQ section. The lifetime plan is $399 USD and a one-time fee. To me that suggests you make only one payment and that is it with no fees down the road. I think the fee schedule is fair and very reasonable. Just downloaded the beta version today, so far it is smooth sailing. Very easy and quick to install. I had only had one minor issue but that was operator error.

[Charlie Austin] "Why not? They still sell their individual packages, I'd guess they'll just add stuff to the premium accounts. Hell, even Apple seems to be going this route. I've only bought FCP X, Compressor, Motion once. All the major updates have been free (so far...)"

Hey! Please do not tell Apple this or they will hit us with a monthly fee. :-)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:36:44 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 12, 2014 at 8:37:01 pm

[David Mathis] "Hey! Please do not tell Apple this or they will hit us with a monthly fee. :-)"

Crap! Too late, as they probably read these forums now and again. They just don't post... Lurkers!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 9:34:51 pm

I thought this news would add some activity to the Red Giant forum but this does not appear to be the case. In fact there has not been in real recent activity in that forum for some odd reason.

None of the suite products look to be included in the Universe, at least not now. I would also like to see a subscription model available for those products as well with the option to buy out. Will be interesting to see what does play out.

Regardless, it is nice to see something like this come out. Perhaps additional products will be added at later date and the suggestion above might be implemented. Will also be interesting to see whether Boris does something similar. Looks like interesting times ahead.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:14:03 pm

[David Mathis] "Will also be interesting to see whether Boris does something similar."

Subscription or a lower price than $995 to buy Continuum Complete?

I noted that normally it would cost close to $500 to buy Toonit, Holomatrix, Knoll, none of which were available for FCPX. Now the Lifetime "buy" is $399. So that's new compatibility and a price drop. This in addition to the free plugins.

BorisCC should drop the price as well (compatible with X and Motion already)
GenArts Saphire (not Edge) should do the same (make compatible with X and Motion).
Somehow I don't expect that to happen. I think they've basically given up on the FCPX market.
I don't think they're interested in competing with downward prices in plugins.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 12, 2014 at 11:49:56 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Subscription or a lower price than $995 to buy Continuum Complete?"

Keep the purchase price where it is now and offer a subscription like Universe has. Would live to see Red Giant offer the same thing for any of their suite products. People could subscribe with the option to purchase later or pay a premium price up front. When something new is added to the suite they can add later for a lower price that has already built in to the premium membership level.

Adobe should adopt a similar plan, but that is not likely to take place anytime soon.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:20:27 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Hell, even Apple seems to be going this route. I've only bought FCP X, Compressor, Motion once. All the major updates have been free (so far...)"

You also bought the Apple computer to run it all on. ;) Apple's first and foremost a hardware company.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 10:53:53 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "You also bought the Apple computer to run it all on. ;) Apple's first and foremost a hardware company."

Absolutely, :-) I was gonna add that to my comment after I wrote it but a client called. I really hate when they interfere with my time on the internet!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 13, 2014 at 4:28:57 am

[Charlie Austin] "Absolutely, :-) I was gonna add that to my comment after I wrote it but a client called. I really hate when they interfere with my time on the internet!"

I know. They can be so intrusive sometimes. lol

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:11:27 pm

A lot of you seem jazzed about this. What is the motivation over building your own with Motion or simply using the built-in effects in FCP X, Motion or AE? Are any of the Universe effects really superior? SuperNova seems like the RG approach to creating FCP X effects in Motion.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 13, 2014 at 12:30:00 pm

[Oliver Peters] " What is the motivation over building your own with Motion or simply using the built-in effects in FCP X, Motion or AE?"

Mostly time. Rather be editing than creating an effect. Plus there are people a lot better at Motion and AE than me, so I give the nod to them to create effects and I will try and use them in my edit.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 13, 2014 at 1:46:21 pm

[Oliver Peters] "A lot of you seem jazzed about this. What is the motivation over building your own with Motion or simply using the built-in effects in FCP X, Motion or AE? Are any of the Universe effects really superior? SuperNova seems like the RG approach to creating FCP X effects in Motion."

Time is the biggest factor. It is nice to build your own effects from scratch, but sometimes that important client that brings in the money is the bigger priority. A client that is not happy because of their project is not done on time and within budget is not good for business.

Many of the effects are very good. It is not just one or two filters that are free; there are several included. Even better they are compatible with many host applications, which has a huge but positive implication when multiple people are working on the same project.

The only downside is that none of the "suite" products are included, at least for now. I would like to see a slightly lower price and a subscription option for those as well. Put them all together in one package and have a price structure similar to what Universe is would be a huge benefit.

Overall, this is something to be excited about. Now if we can get someone else to pay attention to this, things would be better. Adobe, are you really listening?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 13, 2014 at 2:20:42 pm

In addition to the time as a factor in the deadline issue, there's also the time as a factor in the budget price. If creating custom effects is going to add a couple of days time to a project, it's definitely possible, knowing that the RG arsenal of pre-built effects is available, to build your quote taking this into consideration. Sometimes, in the lower budget projects, cutting a day or so's work can mean the difference between being losing the project, and being the hero.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Mar 13, 2014 at 9:02:26 pm

I like yje idea of Universe a lot. I do make my own Motion effects/transitions, but only when an idea jumps out at me. I'm a fan of Core Melt. I bought their Complete package for Legacy and they made the FCPX versions available for free. Love SliceX and TrackX. They are another very good company.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
Universe install problem - known issue
on Mar 13, 2014 at 11:26:36 pm

So after the input I got from people here, I figured it was safe to go ahead with the Universe Beta install. I had been concerned because I already have Trapcode Suite and Effects Suite on my workstation, and wondered whether there would be a clash of licensing.

I downloaded Red Giant link (new version), installed it, and clicked Install next to Universe. Immediately got an error message that there was no software installed. I called the RG tech support, got right through, and was informed that Universe will only install on systems in which the C drive is where your software lives (PPro, AE, FCP, etc.). Now I (and many others) have an OS drive, an Apps drive, and various media drives. All my Adobe software lives on the E: drive - so no dice. According to the tech support guy this is a known issue with the Beta, and will be fixed in subsequent releases. So much for my trying out Universe - not much of a universe if it only works on one planet...but I'll be patient. This has also been an issue with many of the other RG plugins - I've had to move stuff around because it just defaults the install to the C drive.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Universe install problem - known issue
on Mar 14, 2014 at 12:31:23 am

I also ran into a problem. I was signing and kept getting a message telling me that my user ID or password was not correct. After a few attempts I was successful at getting logged on. Given that this was just released and still in the beta stage, this should be expected. Other than that, everything is working fine. Kudos to Red Giant for acknowledging the situation and giving us an update. Their support staff is awesome!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 14, 2014 at 5:30:53 pm

David -

I have no qualms whatsoever about RG support staff. Anytime I've ever had a problem, they've been on it immediately. As a matter of fact, I've already received a reply about my problem with installing Universe to other than the c: drive - so they're aware of it, and most likely working on it.

And they also verified that Universe will cause no problems with any of their other plugins which might be duplicated as older versions (Holomatrix, Knoll Lens Flare EZ come to mind).

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

Harry Frank
on Mar 14, 2014 at 9:12:35 pm

Hi folks! I am one of the developers involved in Universe, and I just wanted to chime in with some genuine gratitude about all the kind things you've been saying about Universe so far. It's actually been more well received than I thought it would! It's easy to sit back and pick apart effects and plugins without considering the mammoth undertaking that it can be. Getting the sliders and dials all tweaked... getting things working accurately in all bit depths... having your glows work well with alpha or non-alpha images. And then, it actually needs to look good. So, I am thrilled that everything has mostly been positive so far. It bodes well for versions 1.1 and beyond!

That said, we are really interested in feedback, ideas, suggestions, etc. Feel free to hit us up on Twitter at @redgiantnews or me specifically at @graymachine. (I wrote Chromatic Glow, Diffuse Glow, GloFi, Glow Highlights, RGB and Prism Displacement, so you know where to complain to about those.)

Thanks again. And don't be a stranger!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:38:45 pm

Harry,

I would to thank you and everyone else who put their hard work into such a great product! I look forward to new products that you and everyone else on the team comes up with. I will jump on board with the premium membership when it is available. So far, everything has been smooth sailing and works like a charm. Kudos to the support team as well, they do an excellent job!

Sincerely,

David Mathis
Very Satisfied Customer

P.S. You guys get a perfect score!

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 14, 2014 at 11:41:50 pm

Thanks, Harry - although my postings thus far have been somewhat negative - purely due to the frustration of not being able to install the beta on my e: drive - I'm dying to try Universe. The free effects are very nice looking, and the payment structure looks well thought out. As an owner of the Magic Bullet Suite, Trapcode Suite, and Effects Suite, I'm certainly sold on the quality of RG products.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]