-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
Re: OT-ish RIP Hal Douglas. :-(
on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:12:35 pm

Very sad. He was a great guy and a true pleasure to work with.

One of the very best voice artists ever - if not the best.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:20:40 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "One of the very best voice artists ever - if not the best."

Yeah, it's really hard to find a genuine, warm voice like his. And as you said, a pleasure to work with.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:28:24 pm

This is a nice piece:

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:14:33 pm

Oh gosh.

The wonderful voices we've lost: Mel Blanc, Thurl Ravenscroft, Hal Riney, Don LaFontain, Ernie Andersen, and now Hal Douglas.

I know the popular trends are either to hire "massively famous" actors to do VO gigs so the product possibly gets the reflected glory of the association (Michael Douglass for NBC News, Brian Cranston for Apple, Donald Southerland for, well, everything) or to go with the current fashion of casing non-announcerish voices because they're supposedly more "real" and more "authentic" and more like "regular folk." (while, of course ALSO demanding those voices also sound precise and professional and perfect in pitch and tonality and interpretation!) "Hi, my name is Bill and I play a normal person on the radio." Sheesh.

It makes me pine for the days when announcers were that. Announcers. Voices that popped out of the media and commanded attention because they were truly special.

Sic Transit some true talent.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Mar 11, 2014 at 12:50:14 am

If you haven't seen the movie "In A World" yet, I think you would like it. A sweet comedy about Hollywood voice over artists.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 11, 2014 at 5:17:40 am

I did Herb, and I enjoyed it very, very much.

The top "big voice" guys are all very talented, but they usually get stuck in a single style. While I've been working, the guys coming up split either into the "announcer" voice types or moved along into the "acting driven" character voices. With so much animation providing work, there are a lot of good people working out there in that area as well.

The funny thing is that there's only one guy I can recall who split his success in both - the late and much missed Thurl Ravenscroft - who was the original voice of Kellogg's Frosted Flakes Tony the Tiger - and was equally smooth doing "big voice" work in scads of narrations and spots.

And of course, for pure magical voice talent, nobody's ever going to top the unfathomable work of Mel Blanc.

If theres ever a VO talent table in heaven, Mel will be forever holding the gavel as chairman, hands down.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 11, 2014 at 1:01:24 am

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks for posting that clip Charlie. I've watched that so many times over the years. Sent it to most of the V/O guys I know. It was always a big hit...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:04:33 pm

Best Hal Douglas performance ever

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Mar 13, 2014 at 7:38:50 pm

That's great!

Thanks,
Dave