FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not tracking cursor between windows during skimming

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Not tracking cursor between windows during skimming
on Mar 9, 2014 at 8:52:20 pm

This is an age old problem that still hasn't been fixed. When you have skimming enabled and go back and forth between the event browser and the timeline, the viewer focus does not track with where the mouse is. Often it stays stuck in the event. Today I had a project where it NEVER correctly tracked. To get back to the timeline, I had to first click into the viewer pane and then click into the timeline area for it to react correctly.

Dual displays. Events on secondary display. OS 10.9.2, FCP X 10.1.1. 8-core Mac Pro tower.

Reported to Apple Feedback... AGAIN.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Young
Re: Not tracking cursor between windows during skimming
on Mar 9, 2014 at 10:40:09 pm

Do you have your event viewer open? I keep mine open (even though it’s fairly useless) and that has cut down on a lot of the stuck focus issues for me. I often wonder if it’s related to using dual screens, and/or list views.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2014 at 11:38:31 pm

[John Young] "Do you have your event viewer open?"

No. In the past, this didn't seem to make much difference, but I'll see if it affects this one.

[John Young] " I often wonder if it’s related to using dual screens, and/or list views"

Maybe. Although I see it with single displays as well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Mar 9, 2014 at 11:43:08 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[John Young] "Do you have your event viewer open?"
No. In the past, this didn't seem to make much difference, but I'll see if it affects this one."

I just checked and it does seem to help. Thanks.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 1:16:53 am

I've noticed if you transform the video (scale, crop, motion, distort, etc) and forget to actually hit the "Done" button, it causes skimmer issues.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:43:06 am

The skimmer doesn't function at all in those modes. So, yep. I'd call that an issue.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Mar 10, 2014 at 1:00:18 pm

The skimmer doesn't work while in those modes but dragging the playhead and clip skimming do. To quickly exit the transform/crop modes just hit the "A" key or any of the other cursor tool key shortcuts. Easier that clicking on "done".

As far as the focus not shifting from the event to the timeline I just hit Cmd 3 followed by Cmd 2. It's not ideal but it's also not too far removed from just hitting Cmd 2.

I have also submitted feedback on this so maybe it will get fixed some day.

anickt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 3:50:50 pm

[Nick Toth] "The skimmer doesn't work while in those modes but dragging the playhead and clip skimming do. To quickly exit the transform/crop modes just hit the "A" key or any of the other cursor tool key shortcuts. Easier that clicking on "done"."

Sure, but if you don't do either (switch tools, or click done) the skimmer remains in a bit of limbo.

Probably not Oliver's problem, but worth noting none the less.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:00:59 pm

I thought that was intentional. Sometimes I leave it in that mode to get a break from skimming sensory overload.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:10:36 pm

[John Young] "Sometimes I leave it in that mode to get a break from skimming sensory overload."

Ha! You can always toggle off skimming.

Return to posts index

John Young
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:16:51 pm

True, but you lose the ability to scrub through your footage. Now if the Event viewer had a scrub bar at the bottom....

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:26:54 pm

[John Young] "Now if the Event viewer had a scrub bar at the bottom...."

Totally, or if you could simply skim the viewers, or if it had a clip representation on the bottom of it that mirrored the Event Browser (or timeline).

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:03:46 pm

I'm not trying to get into a pissing contest here but I would expect the editors who work for me to be aware of how their tools work. This applies to all applications, not just FCP X. While I have to same problem with focus not shifting from the Library to the timeline, I have found a way to deal with it and have submitted feedback. There's not much else I can do about it. I prefer the overall editing experience in FCP X to other solutions. That's my choice and I take the good with the bad. But I always submit feedback (sometimes multiple times) about things that don't seem right or are just blatantly wrong. Same with the skimmer/transform issue.

anickt

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:23:33 pm

It's cool, Nick. I'm not pissing.

I use FCPX, too.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Duncan Craig
on Mar 10, 2014 at 7:59:15 pm

Personally I keep clip skimming turned on, when I move back to the timeline I dip the cursor over a timeline icon and the viewer switches back. Not perfect workaround, but works OK for me.

EX1
MBP
FCPX
Short fingernails

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]