FORUMS: list search recent posts

Quick Real Time Demo- Updated !

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Quick Real Time Demo- Updated !
on Mar 8, 2014 at 9:15:17 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:08:09 am

I just whipped up a quick demo here. Please excuse the glitch a minute or so in. Apparently recording a screen movie while doing this caused a momentary issue. I doubt anyone will find this informative. UPDATE: I did the same thing in PrCC just to be fair... posted below

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Quick Real Time Demo
on Mar 9, 2014 at 12:03:27 am

(screaming with insane frustration...)

Yeah, but neither FCP-X NOR PermierPro CC have a built-in "falling sheep wipe" - now DO they!

So how can we possibly judge whether such sheep fall more smoothly and elegantly in FCP-X than they do in Premier CC.

Judging either program fails miserably, iMO, unless each is ruthlessly judged against this classic and coveted industry standard metric for "awesome NLE functionality"

Stick that in your super capable FCP-X MacBook Air editing demo Mr. Fancy Pants Charlie Austin!

; )

(on another subject entirely, you heading to NAB this year?)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Mar 9, 2014 at 2:11:51 pm

Thanks for posting, that Alex4D plugin is very handy and I didn't have it yet! :-)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2014 at 2:22:17 pm

For an fcpx demo on a set of different 4k formats that's a really impressive demo Charlie. That's what's going on there right?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 9, 2014 at 4:57:37 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 9, 2014 at 5:06:02 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "For an fcpx demo on a set of different 4k formats that's a really impressive demo Charlie. That's what's going on there right?"

lol, of course not. Was the first bit of that demo 4k material? It wasn't specified. Either way, I don't have a Mac Pro. I think the point of the PrCC demo was that the Mac Pro is a great computer and Pr CC is optimized to take advantage of it. Did I mention I like PrCC? I'm a subscriber. :-)

I honestly had no idea what would happen when I tried to emulate that first "live interaction" part. I was surprised it worked at all. 1080p H264 isn't always fun to work with, and it worked pretty well, all things considered. It played back much better when I wasn't recording a screen movie at the same time too. :-)

FWIW, I have seen a live demo of FCP X on a Mac Pro playing 16 angles of mixed format 4k in real time with some simple transitions/effects applied on the fly and output to a 4k projector. I'm sure that Avid will have an impressive demo running on the MP soon as well. I want one. ;-)

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 9, 2014 at 5:17:57 pm

tee hee.

yeah they never quite specified what was in the first demo. they do like that machine tho mind you. If someone would just like to give me one that would really be completely fine with me.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Quick Real Time Demo- Updated !
on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:09:11 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 10, 2014 at 2:12:30 am

So, in the interest of fairness, I did the same thing in Pr CC just to see what would happen. Here ya go...

Return to posts index

Dominic Deacon
on Mar 10, 2014 at 11:39:23 am

Both FCPX and PP seem to slow down very quickly there. More so than I'd expect. I wonder though how hard they are working your system to achieve these results?

I don't have a mac to try this on but have you ever monitored RAM, CPU usage and computer temperature when using these two? I did some very non scientific tests on my PC running the same footage through PP5.5 and Edius. I wasn't surprised that PP was chocking on footage Edius happily played at full speed but I was surprised that PP was running my computer massively harder. I forget exact numbers but it was using a lot more ram, a lot more CPU (at least a few full cores worth) and the internal temperature of the computer was significantly higher. All while giving me blocky playback.

I've never used Premiere much since then as I figure the easier my NLE is on my PC the longer my PC will last- no idea if that's true mind, it just seems like common sense.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2014 at 3:53:46 pm

[Dominic Deacon] "Both FCPX and PP seem to slow down very quickly there. More so than I'd expect. I wonder though how hard they are working your system to achieve these results? "

Yeah, but they slow down... differently. As I mumbled at one point, Pr seems to try to keep the UI fluid while playback degrades, X seems to do the opposite. Either way,this was A- not a scientific test, I was just curious and messing around, and B- It's a MacBook Air... lol

[Dominic Deacon] "I don't have a mac to try this on but have you ever monitored RAM, CPU usage and computer temperature when using these two?"

Not a bad idea, Maybe I'll try that. I do know that the fan came on much sooner running Pr, but don't know if it means anything.

In the end, I was just messing around. ;-)

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Mar 10, 2014 at 12:00:13 pm

Hi Charlie,

I know you are talking about performance here, and it's impressive just as a demo.

What I am getting bad deja vu's about is, how much more fluid FCPX seems in making all these changes. How you can just drag a clip out to get it to play slower, making text changes in the viewer instead of a separate window opening up, etc. etc.
The whole business of the interface in Premiere Pro vs X.

I worked with Premiere, and I worked for 7 years on FCP7. after a year, a year and a half of almost working completely on X, it surprises me more then I thought it would.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2014 at 3:59:53 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "and it's impressive just as a demo."

Thanks, though not sure I'd use that word. Actually either word, impressive or demo. lol

[Mathieu Ghekiere] " how much more fluid FCPX seems in making all these changes."

I was trying to be as non-judgmental as possible, but yes. For me, X is way more fluid to work in, even when in a "bogged down" state. Just an opinion though, everyone has one. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:32:25 pm

If there's one thing I've learned form this demo, it appears Charlie throws a hell of a helloween party.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 10, 2014 at 5:38:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "f there's one thing I've learned form this demo, it appears Charlie throws a hell of a helloween party."

lol. I think that may be the most useful information to take away from it. It was a great party. :-)

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 10, 2014 at 6:01:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If there's one thing I've learned form this demo, it appears Charlie throws a hell of a helloween party."

hahaha I was hoping I wasn't the only person that noticed that : )

When charlie opened up that title window I was like ugghh

I have never liked the way AVID of Pr did titles. Just prefer the style of how X does it.

I'm sure others like the title tool style just fine.

I'm impressed that both programs can do all that while running. It was a nice video that Dennis put up and Charlie's also.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:22:53 am

Charlie, in PrPro you added a dust and scratches effect which I don't recall you adding in the FCPX demo. In any case Dust and Scratches in PrPro is not a GPU accelerated effect and it's probably the reason why the UI became unresponsive.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:31:22 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:33:14 am

[David Cherniack] "Charlie, in PrPro you added a dust and scratches effect which I don't recall you adding in the FCPX demo. In any case Dust and Scratches in PrPro is not a GPU accelerated effect and it's probably the reason why the UI became unresponsive."

Thanks David, Was just trying to add something similar to the "Aged Film" effect in X, which adds dust and scratches as well as grain, jitter and some other stuff. As I said though, all things considered they both performed the same-ish. Pr playback degraded but the UI remained very responsive. FCP X seemed to play back smoother, but the UI updates went to hell. Is there a better analog in Pr to that effect in FCP? I honestly don't often use that stuff in either NLE.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 12, 2014 at 12:46:51 am

[Charlie Austin] "Is there an analog in Pr to that effect in FCP?"

No. Dust and Scratches would be the closest I guess to Aged Film. But as it's not commonly used there's not much incentive, I guess, for Adobe to GPU accelerate it. (Unlike with Apple and the prosumer user base of FCPX, :) NOTE SMILEY!!! Please don't loose dogs. I don't run fast any more.

I'm surprised that PrPro played back at all with Dust and Scratches effect as it's all done on the cpu which is already being strained mightily in your MacBook Air.

Truth be told such apples to oranges comparisons are rather meaningless...but entertaining

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:12:20 am

[David Cherniack] "Unlike with Apple and the prosumer user base of FCPX, :) NOTE SMILEY!!! Please don't loose dogs. I don't run fast any more. "

lol Well, I guess I'm a prosumer when I cut in X, and a real pro when I cut in Pr or something else. ;-) I've given up loosing dogs for the most part...

[David Cherniack] "Truth be told such apples to oranges comparisons are rather meaningless...but entertaining"

Yep. :-) Speaking of apples to oranges, I wish Apple would post the X on Mac Pro demo I saw... playing back 16 angles of mixed 4k, full res with some RT effects while driving a 4k projector. That was pretty cool...

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:15:59 am

[Charlie Austin] "peaking of apples to oranges, I wish Apple would post the X on Mac Pro demo I saw... playing back 16 angles of mixed 4k, full res with some RT effects while driving a 4k projector. That was pretty cool."

Well there may be a reason why they haven't let it loose. :)

BTW did they ever say if the 4K streams in that demo were ProRes?

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:25:15 am

[David Cherniack] "Well there may be a reason why they haven't let it loose. :)"

Other than the fact that they don't generally post demo's I can't think of a reason. It was quite real, I fiddled with the machine a little afterwards. In the interest of full disclosure, I can't say for certain it was playing full res, though I'm pretty sure it was.

[David Cherniack] "BTW did they ever say if the 4K streams in that demo were ProRes?"

If I recall correctly, some were, but not all. Again, going from faulty memory here, so don't quote me... ;-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:28:35 am

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/whats-new/

Scroll down to "Editing"

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:29:27 am

It's an impressive machine....though I think I can get more power with an HP Z820 and a couple of the new Titan Black cards.....cough..cough...I think I hear my wife coming...cough.

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:31:45 am

[David Cherniack] "It's an impressive machine....though I think I can get more power with an HP Z820 and a couple of the new Titan Black cards.....cough..cough...I think I hear my wife coming...cough."

Perhaps, but then you'd have to use Pr or MC. Why would you want to do that? ;-) -running away-

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:34:01 am

[Charlie Austin] "but then you'd have to use Pr or MC. Why would you want to do that?"

Well, it ain't a perfect world...

David

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 12, 2014 at 1:36:17 am

[David Cherniack] "Well, it ain't a perfect world..."

I'm going back to razor blades and tape. Much less contentious. ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]