FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Mac pro - what might I be doing wrong

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Julian Bowman
New Mac pro - what might I be doing wrong
on Mar 8, 2014 at 11:44:01 am

Hey,

so it arrived. Have been installing my software etc and wrapping my head around getting my projects set up in 10.1.1 from 10.0.8 on my old mac.

What I have noticed is that despite it being a more powerful machine and optimised for FCPX the new mac is running worse than the old one (Mac pro 2011 I think).

I have both open at the moment and just did a render test on the same timeline - rendering a motion Vfx logo template. The new Mac took 4 or 5 times longer to render the same template !!!?

Playing back with templates on the timeline is also pretty horrible and much worse than the old mac.

So what on earth am I doing wrong? I just spent £5k (including 2 x G-Raid thunderbolt drives) and I have worse performance. It has to be something I may be doing in my set up. Do I need to optimise anything? Do I need to find a magic button to turn the new mac into what it is meant to be?

This is a bit weird and more than a little frustrating. Any pointers/advice/suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: New Mac pro - what might I be doing wrong
on Mar 8, 2014 at 12:22:31 pm

Are your render tests based on the same updated projects, or have you tried making a new Library on both Macs and a new project with a new test, and look for those results?

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 8, 2014 at 12:35:49 pm

Thanks Mathieu,

I actually called Apple after posting and someone in the Enterpirse team got me to run some little tests with a new project, in which the new mac won hands down, so it transpires that it may simply be because the projects I have open are ones converted from 10.0.8 to 10.1.1 with the new libraries structure.

I'll have to look again with new projects when they start and when I get the time i will create a new edit from old rushes on both machines and add similar filters, templates etc and see what is what :)

Fingers crossed :)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 8, 2014 at 1:03:17 pm

I've seen problems with upgraded projects, hopefully that is your issue.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 8, 2014 at 6:30:06 pm

[Steve Connor] "I've seen problems with upgraded projects, hopefully that is your issue"

Me too. What you might try is exporting a project XML, and importing it into a newly created library.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

tony west
on Mar 9, 2014 at 3:21:40 pm

Has anyone seen this error while importing XML?

Syntax of value for attribute interp of timept is not valid
Value "" for attribute interp of timept is not among the enumerated set

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:44:14 pm

[Julian Bowman] "it may simply be because the projects I have open are ones converted from 10.0.8 to 10.1.1 with the new libraries structure."

I experienced something similar when upgrading projects to 10.1.1. At first I thought that the new FCPX was slower than what I had before. Then when I created a new project from scratch I saw more speed.

I never had time to experiment more, but I hope to get a handle on it at some point, since I continue to use old projects from time to time. I'd hate to think that I'd have to re-create all those projects just to get them running at optimum speed...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]