FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wish List For Next Update

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Wish List For Next Update
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:07:52 pm

There a couple of things I would like to see in the next version of X:

1. The ability to customize and save a layout for interface depending where you are at in workflow. You could do this in 7 and versions prior along with Premiere Pro and other NLE of choice. A small, but useful feature this would be.

2. In connection with point 1, above: Would like the ability to place the color correction tools and possibly the scopes on a second monitor along with going back to a traditional tool set. The color box is fine but other controls would be helpful. Would like to see individual sliders, color wheel and curves.

3. Send to Motion and ability to import a Motion project. Still curious as to why this still has not been addressed.

I am otherwise pleased with the software.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
Re: Wish List For Next Update
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:18:57 pm

Search an entire library by keyword etc - not just one event at a time. That would be super powerful.

Fix the performance issues.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:30:57 pm

[Michael Sanders] "Search an entire library by keyword etc"
I think you can. If you highlight the Library icon and launch the search, only the desired clips or projects will show in the browser.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:44:22 pm

That's weird - I'm sure I tried that!

But cool - Thanks!

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 5, 2014 at 10:56:21 pm

[Michael Sanders] "Search an entire library by keyword etc - not just one event at a time. That would be super powerful."

-Search can be done, but smart collections and keywords cannot be added Library wide, they are stuck to an Event. I would like there to be Library wide metadata instead of Event based metadata in Libraries.

-I'd like to be able to keyboard select the playhead "bouncing ball" to allow layer choice, "focus" and selection.

-Better integration with Logic as mixing audio in FCPX can be tough sometimes.

-Dissolves that allow starting/ending on end point as well as asymmetric dissolves.

-A keyboard modifier that would temporarily switch skimmer and playhead priority

-A keyboard shortcut to bring the playhead to the skimmer without clicking

-Render files that live outside of the Library

-Proxy and Optimized files that live outside of the Library

-More timeline "clip height" options so I can zoom in and out just on one or a few clips

-Better Wacom tablet support

-A modifier to adjust color board increments in smaller steps

-All of the glorious metadata columns should be able to be added to the Browser search and sort capability (or smart collection/gathering)

-Assign Roles upon import

-Use Roles as visual organization

-Keyboard command to simultaneously open and place the cursor in the search field of the Effects panel, as well as Generators, Music, etc

-A way to save/create favorite effects or effects bundles with settings.

-Read Only Libraries

-More RAW and third party codec support (Sony, Arri, SStP, etc)

-More unexpected innovation. I don't know that means, I just threw that one in.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 6, 2014 at 12:50:52 am

Target Roles while editing much as one would target a track.

Two timeline viewers to do shot to shot comparison while grading.

Multiple scopes open for each Viewer.

Two up when trimming using the keyboard rather than only with mouse.

"FCPX Theater" to AppleTV

Order from delivery.com, Seamless, GrubHub from pull down menu while editing. ;-)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:00:23 am

I think they should bring back tracks but that is very unlikely to even take place.

Also, make it a subscription only model! :-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:41:21 am

[David Mathis] "I think they should bring back tracks but that is very unlikely to even take place. "

FCPX is the only NLE I know of that has my most preferred feature, tracklessness.
I'd no more want tracks then I'd want horses to pull my car.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:57:05 am

[Craig Seeman] "I'd no more want tracks then I'd want horses to pull my car.
"

Amen to that. Fill the timeline with secondaries if you need tracks. The only thing I sometimes miss about tracks is that they can help with visual organization. They'll get Roles to do that at some point and tracks will join stringing mag reels in my memories...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Mar 8, 2014 at 5:31:46 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Keyboard command to simultaneously open and place the cursor in the search field of the Effects panel, as well as Generators, Music, etc"

I know you want it in one shortcut, but if you hit SHIFT+TAB after hitting your shortcut for Effects Browser, you can get into the search bar without clicking.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 10, 2014 at 4:26:36 pm

[Andy Neil] "I know you want it in one shortcut, but if you hit SHIFT+TAB after hitting your shortcut for Effects Browser, you can get into the search bar without clicking."

Not bad, but it doesn't help when the window is already open.

I guess I really want a shortcut for every "Find" bubble. If I just hit Command-f, it is now contextual to where I am in the UI.

This way I could hit the shortcut and start typing.

Return to posts index

Sam Comer
on Mar 5, 2014 at 9:50:48 pm

Lots of little things, for me:

White point color picker in the color correction options.

Center zoom to playhead (along with scrolling timeline).

The ability to pick a noise sample from an audio track for noise reduction, the way Audition does, and the way Soundtrack Pro used to do. If you're not going to give us STP, Apple, then at least give us a lot more of its functions. (Or at least an easy way to round trip to Logic ... although the powers that be at my job decided to put Pro Tools on my machine with FCPX instead of an accompanying Apple product, but I digress ...)

In Premiere Pro, and in FCP 7, you can bring up your audio waveforms in their own window, fullscreen is you want, and edit to 1/1000th of a frame accuracy. I like that. I'd like to have that in FCPX.

A dedicated Roll Edit tool. I'm really not fond of the Trim tool that changes between ripple, roll, and selection depending on where your cursor happens to be in on the clip. If I want to roll, I want a roll tool. Simple.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Mar 5, 2014 at 10:44:23 pm

[Sam Comer] "A dedicated Roll Edit tool. I'm really not fond of the Trim tool that changes between ripple, roll, and selection depending on where your cursor happens to be in on the clip. If I want to roll, I want a roll tool. Simple."

The trim tool does need to be improved. It is a bit clumsy and confusing at first. In earlier versions you simply pressed the "R" key to toggle between ripple and roll. A much better way.

Also, a 4 up display would come in handy for slip and slide edits. I would like to know what is going on either side of the clip. Avid probably has the best trim tools available.

Just a few simple adjustments under the hood can make for some big improvements. New features are nice but improvements are much better.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:52:55 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:27:44 am

[Sam Comer] "In Premiere Pro, and in FCP 7, you can bring up your audio waveforms in their own window, fullscreen is you want, and edit to 1/1000th of a frame accuracy. I like that. I'd like to have that in FCPX. "

Other than the full screen thing, you can do better than that in X now. Just zoom all the way in (make sure zoom to samples is selected in view or OPT-J) and increase the clip height all the way if you need more detail. You can accurately keyframe to 1/48000 sec with 48 k audio. You can also move connected audio clips in sample increments, which AFAIK you can't do in other NLE's. That's been a great feature for me..

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:32:22 am

I wonder when the next update will be released? I'm pretty happy with the way things are at the moment but here's a few things that could help me.

1. Send to motion, roundtrip, to include sending compound clips.

2. Enhanced colour correct tools to include the ability to create complex masks that behave themselves.

3. The ability to view all audio components in a virtual track system that would be bought up as an alternative to the timeline.

4. Split video and audio effects browsers and the ability to easily organise their contents and appearance. This could be similar to the FXfactory system where you either tick or un-tick items you want to show up in the effects browser.

5. Please allow us to turn off the 'Used' info and orange tick when in Browser list view, just more visual clutter. You can turn it on and off in the browser viewer but not in list view. Very annoying.

6. The ability to export browser information as a text files.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Mar 6, 2014 at 7:19:57 am

1. To connect clips in secondary lanes to other clips in secondary lanes and to be able to anchor those to the start of the timeline. being at the mercy of having to connect clips to primary clips is limiting. Choice would circumnavigate a lot of fiddlyness at times.

2. Eradicate some of the annoying bugs (which may have been done as I am on 1.0.8 at the moment) such as zooming in whilst playing puts you at the centre of the screen on the playhead. When you cut an audio track with the waveform being shown whilst the playhead is moving the clip to the right of the cut loses its waveform. The glitch where sometimes the audio goes mental. When a transition is added to the start of the first primary clip and you delete another transition attached to it it shortens the first clip to where the in of the transition was !?

3. An internal management system for plugins including being able to create a favourites folder and being able to 'hide' plugins' in the plugin browser. Also being able to turn of certain plugin categories (I never use audio, pictures or themes

4. When you apply a transition between too clip it doesn't automatically stretch and cross fade the audio of those clips. Give us an option to turn this feature off/on.

5. Consistency with where the opacity option is placed please.

6. Option to open all/close all of or some of the options such as opacity, transform etc. and for it to remember that choice when looking at any clip. I want certain options permanently open so as to save clicks.

7. An option to move the different components of the UI. I would like to move my plugins area to a second screen and have the timeline full width all the time.

8. Shift + -> jumps 1 second not 10 frames, or at least an option to set the jump amount.

9. The ability to 'lock' secondary or secondary and primary lanes so that when I am playing and slicing with a key stroke ONLY the lane I want to cut is cut. Currently selecting the lane and cutting in this method deselects the lane once the cut occurs. makes just slicing through on a beat not possible without cutting every lane.

10. The option of adding markers to the top of the timeline rather than always on a clip. They are markers, I want to mark my timeline, not clips.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 6, 2014 at 3:36:45 pm

[Charlie Austin] "FAIK you can't do in other NLE's."

Charlies, sample level audio editing has existed in the Premiere timeline for 10 years.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:53:17 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:57:45 pm

[David Cherniack] "Charlies, sample level audio editing has existed in the Premiere timeline for 10 years."

In FCP 7 as well. But can you *move* (trim, roll, slip, slide etc) audio in sample increments in the timeline? I wasn't aware of that. I know it can't be done in 7...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:00:40 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "In FCP7, you can adjust audio in subframe increments in the source viewer (shift click and drag).

Franz."

Yes, but the timeline clip is constrained to frames, that's what I meant.Adjusting in the timeline in X Makes lining up phonemes in separate clips for cheating dialog a breeze. :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:08:33 pm

Timeline movement for audio resolves to 1/80th of a frame I believe. I don't know of any other NLE that allows that kind of fine movement of audio in the timeline itself.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:14:08 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:18:35 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Timeline movement for audio resolves to 1/80th of a frame I believe."

Playhead movement tops out at 1/80 (CMD-L/R arrow) but you can adjust a clip (move, trim etc) in sample increments. It's quite nice. :-)

EDIT: using the clip skimmer, you can literal do sample accurate (or 1/2000 fr) editing. Just cut out a sample from a clip. :-)

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:18:21 pm

[Charlie Austin] "But can you *move* (trim, roll, slip, slide etc) audio in sample increments in the timeline? I wasn't aware of that."

Last time I looked I could. Mind you, that was 3 or 4 years ago. Maybe they removed that as a way to not look superior to FCP7 :)

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Bernhard Grininger
on Mar 6, 2014 at 11:50:18 am

• +1 for "White point color picker in the color correction options."

• Color Corrector's ColorPicker+Shapes Masking tools available in EVERY FILTER and EFFECT per default

• additional BaseSpline and BezierSpline Masking

• natively integrated Planar Tracker; temporal analysis during import

• Video Noise Reduction Tool; temporal analysis during import

• easier way to assign Audio Roles

• vertical audio clip organization in timeline according to assigned Roles

• sharing Libraries with multiple users according to the permissions-scheme:
    Read-Write Exclusive / Read-Write / Read Only

• Return to posts index

Paul Figgiani
    on Mar 6, 2014 at 1:48:57 pm

• An audio Bus that is before the Storyline output. This would allow the insertion of global audio effects to the entire mix. One useful scenario would be to add a Loudness Meter plugin on the bus, or a True Peak Limiter. Right now we are forced to do this on Compound Clips.

• A robust audio waveform editor with real waveforms - not the cartoonish, rectified waveforms that are now displayed. As someone mentioned above - reintroduce some of the useful Soundtrack Pro editing features that do not exist in X.

-paul.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
    on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:24:33 pm

OK. It's apparent we have a great list here from working fcpx editors.

Now, let's start a betting pool.

How many of these features will be implemented in the FCPX Creative Pro User Group Supermeet Hostile Takeover Anniversary Edition, v10.1.2?

Any takers?

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
    on Mar 7, 2014 at 12:58:57 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "the FCPX Creative Pro User Group Supermeet Hostile Takeover Anniversary Edition, v10.1.2?"

LOL... I guess I should have read the program more closely...

Mitch Ives
    Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
    on Mar 6, 2014 at 4:42:23 pm

Dynamic Link with motion

Side chain compression

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
    on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:13:49 pm

[Richard Herd] "Dynamic Link with motion

Side chain compression"

Dude, just use CC.

:-P

:-D

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
    on Mar 6, 2014 at 6:39:08 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Dude, just use CC.
    "

CS6 till accounting changes the books from capital to expense. Looks like next year, 2015.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
    on Mar 7, 2014 at 2:45:42 am

[Richard Herd] "CS6 till accounting changes the books from capital to expense. Looks like next year, 2015."

I was just having a little fun is all.

I think Dynamic Motion™ and Side Chaining would be wonderful.

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
    on Mar 7, 2014 at 6:38:22 am

- Motion roundtripping

- Roles templates

- workspaces

- a favorites palette for effects/transitions with drag and drop capability from timeline to the palette

- better accuracy in play/stop when using native mxf

- vertical timeline size shortcuts

- Viewer size shortcuts (would help when working with transforms)

- single command keyframe removal for selected clip

- +/- 3db shortcut

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
    Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
    on Mar 7, 2014 at 2:07:59 pm

Not sure if this one made it on the list

- when pasting attributes, the thumbnail of the copied clip should show the attributes being pasted. For example, if I am pasting a color correct to other clips, the clip on the left of the panel, the source attribute clip, should show the color attributes to be pasted. Small one, I know.

Scott Witthaus
    Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
    1708 Inc./Editorial
    Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
    on Mar 7, 2014 at 9:04:21 pm
    Last Edited By Scott Witthaus on Mar 9, 2014 at 10:57:05 am

One other small one. When you have the timeline view with no thumbnails or waveforms, please allow us to scale the sizes of the clips like other views.

Scott Witthaus
    Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
    1708 Inc./Editorial
    Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

John Davidson
    on Mar 8, 2014 at 7:15:33 am

I want FCPX Library files to work on a NAS via AFP. NSF performance compared to AFP is a not good at all. Over GbE NFS can get about 38MB/s speeds vs 115MB/s for AFP. None of us can figure out why.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Krzysztof Szychowski
    on Mar 8, 2014 at 11:32:07 pm

Hello

The ability to color code clips/roles in timeline, as done in Logic Pro.
    K

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]