FORUMS: list search recent posts

AVID Down But Not Out...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
AVID Down But Not Out...
on Mar 4, 2014 at 11:38:17 pm

Anyone attending prior to NAB?

http://app.info.avid.com/e/es.aspx?s=774&e=2728685&elq=4b9233e99f1b43d89e4b...

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: AVID Down But Not Out...
on Mar 5, 2014 at 12:02:37 am

Cough up the $350 in advance or the $500 and you too can give Avid advice!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:33:30 am

Yup...that's it in a nutshell. AVID always charged us an arm and a leg, even when they had to make service calls where the systems they configured weren't working as promised. And their training costs were so high that our engineering department (who admittedly were cheapskates - matter of fact, we called our Chief Engineer, the Cheap Engineer) would book a training session for three people, who were then expected to pass on their newly acquired knowledge to 8 or 10 more people. You can imagine how well that worked at a broadcast facility!

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:42:55 am

I remember going to one of the first of these kind of events... in 1992 in Orlando. It was called the "AVID user group" meeting, and yes, it cost money to attend.

I don't know why everyone expects everything to be "free". News flash! Things cost money. This is a two day event with meals, presentation rooms, speakers, etc. That stuff cost's money.

I'm not going to criticize anyone for their choice NOT to spend money... but please... stop with the "they're charging and therefore I'm not going". That says more about you than about AVID.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 5, 2014 at 2:04:40 pm

Sorry Mark/Todd

The ACA IS an Avid customer group. The board was invited by Avid. This is purely an Avid sponsored initiative (I believe it came from the highest parts of Avid management).

Avid chose the executive board of the ACA (vast majority broadcast suits) and then is asking for Avid users to join to "gather ideas for the future of the industry". So, they want you to pay them to tell them what to do so you can buy more product from them. If that feels right to you, I got some ocean-front in Arizona for sale.

Avid has its Community Forums to draw on. Avid had an "influencers group" I was part of that had web conferences on new software, features and such. There are beta programs. There are plenty of ways for Avid to get information right now. Another layer and another "class" of customer will not make it more efficient.

Avid Connect is another story. If you want to pony up $300 to listen and see Avid Everywhere, more power to you. That's an outside function versus an inside organization.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:39:40 pm

Mark -

I don't see anywhere where people are expecting "everything" to be free. I pay for all of my software, plugins, training from Lynda.com, among others, and would expect to pay for any type of function/seminar in which I can walk away with actionable information which will help me in my professional or business development.

This event strikes me as a thinly veiled selling opportunity for sponsors of the event and AVID, especially when you take a look at the program overview and sponsorship packages:
http://www.avidcustomerassociation.com/downloads/avid_connect_sponsorship_1...

I just don't buy that there's anything here to detain the tourist...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Mar 5, 2014 at 3:03:26 pm

The ACA is an Avid created consortium as announced by Avid at IBC in September of 2013:

http://www.avid.com/US/press-room/Launches-Customer-Association

The "about" is here:
http://www.avidcustomerassociation.com/mission.html

The main benefits of joining are listed as:

Ongoing interaction, networking and exposure to professional industry peers
Access to insights and shared experiences from the world’s premier media companies
Access to a future ACA portal for association-related discussion, interaction and best practices, only available to ACA members
Access to Avid leadership through focused Advisory Councils
Opportunity to increase influence on Avid Community and industry
Ability to provide ongoing and regular feedback to Avid about specific business and process requirements and industry and company-specific needs

Since that time (and not yet reflected on this page), the ACA has been refined and more "benefits" added to it such as a discount at the Avid Web store. The have created additional councils to meet the needs of the different market segments, etc.

with more detail on this page:

http://www.avidcustomerassociation.com/membership.html

This is an Avid initiative they are dedicated to and even have a full time director level position with the title of "Director of the Avid Customer Association". They get both manufacture/partner sponsorship as well as membership sponsorship. It would be like watching commercials on HBO -

Now whether any one facility or individual becomes a part of this is up to them. The one stated benefit that gives me pause is:

"Access to a future ACA portal for association-related discussion, interaction and best practices, only available to ACA members"

I would think that best practices is an industry issue for anyone owning or interacting with an Avid product or solution and in my opinion should not be restricted to members only.

Michael

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 5, 2014 at 4:56:19 pm

[Michael Phillips] "I would think that best practices is an industry issue for anyone owning or interacting with an Avid product or solution and in my opinion should not be restricted to members only. "

Perfectly stated.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:28:02 pm
Last Edited By Gustavo Bermudas on Mar 5, 2014 at 6:30:59 pm

That smells like a subscription attempt without calling it a subscription.

I know these events costs money, but lots of companies pay for events to promote their services and new products, I don't understand why not wanting to pay for this reflects bad upon myself.

NEWS FLASH! If you want to promote your product or attract more customers, spend some money on marketing!

Return to posts index

Ernie Nathaniel
on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:39:56 am

I understand the reluctance to want to pay for something that one feels should be free, especially feedback to a vendor. As a user of AVID software since the mid 1990's and editing over 500 pieces, either commercials or longer programs that have gone to air, AVID has not failed me. Closed captioning now in SD and HD was implemented a few years back with the Data track and has worked excellently. Final Cut Pro has worked well also, although for me, I can edit a lot faster on AVID Symphony or Media Composer than on FCP v7. I liked the trimming tools better and AVID with their Smart Tools they adapted a Final Cut approach with augmenting their segment tools, to edit more like FCP, if you wanted to. Sort of the best of both worlds. I think part of the reason I was faster on AVID was mainly because I knew the keyboard commands so well.

If one thing has happened, Apple successfully humbled AVID into making their product pricing reasonable. And Apple makes a great stable, yet beautifully graphical operating system, to be outdone by none. But all I can say is that at least AVID is attempting to listen to people. I wrote them for a couple of years about closed captioning, and after a couple of years, we got the data track. Maybe AVID does listen. I cannot believe that the introduction of FCPX was ushered by the wishes of any of us, nor was the abrupt end-of-lining of FCP, a major tool that had become the heart of many production studios. That move did not show a commitment to the professional community to me. That wasn't a professional thing to do. Sorry if I still seem a little bitter.

AVID with all it's faults, still works very well, and is constantly being improved. Unlike Apple, that abandoned its FCP customers and their whole methodology, and even nomenclature that was well established in the industry, all the while experimenting and tweaking FCPX to bring back functionality that FCP had years before. As for the hardware, the new MacPro is beautiful, and hopefully more programs will start utilizing the dual GPUs. But it requires a larger investment to regain interoperability with the peripherals we had before. And all this is still evolving of course. NAB should be very educational this year.

But I digress… so AVID is charging to attend. I wish they weren't. Yes, I paid the money and will attend the ACA meeting. But I like the opportunity to say what I like or dislike to the vendor. Can't honestly say that would happen with Apple, as much as I love Apple, ever since my Apple IIe. I wish Apple would make us feel like they're interested in our comments. So, I'll try and get my money's worth at the ACA, and I'll gorge myself on the food, just to make sure.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Mar 6, 2014 at 8:37:16 pm
Last Edited By Gustavo Bermudas on Mar 6, 2014 at 8:40:26 pm

Avid is in a very interesting but fragile place right now, because in a way they remain competitive by not changing too much in a landscape of NLE chaos, with companies priding themselves in being "disruptive" (I guess they think it sounds cool) at their customer's expense.

On one hand Avid has a talent pool of users which are loyal and stayed with Avid for a long time, and it's reassuring to see Avid stayed loyal to them as well, can't say the same thing for Apple. And I think it's great they want to listen to costumers, but they also seem incredibly slow at implementing those changes.
I attended a meeting once right when FCPX was announced, announcing MC6, and the commitment to users and adding functionality without removing features, they even talked about 4K, and so far most upgrade versions are hardly justifiable.
Hopefully things have changed at Avid, but charging for events like this in a way it tells me they're still in the 90's

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 8, 2014 at 12:10:19 pm

I got a feeling there will be plenty of food there. Get your $300 worth!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]