FORUMS: list search recent posts

New MP and FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
New MP and FCP7
on Mar 3, 2014 at 2:27:56 am

Anyone with a new Mac Pro. Have you installed FCP7/FC Studio? If so, how does it work?

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
Re: New MP and FCP7
on Mar 3, 2014 at 5:22:27 am

I haven't even put it on my new Macbook Pro. I'm not even sure how to. Guess I'd have to go buy a super drive.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Mar 3, 2014 at 5:31:37 am

Actually, I think I read that target disk mode works via Thunderbolt. Anyone try that?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 3, 2014 at 7:20:34 am

[Oliver Peters] "Anyone with a new Mac Pro. Have you installed FCP7/FC Studio? If so, how does it work?"

I installed it on our GFX guys 12 core at work, runs fine. We had disk images of the installer DVD's, so it was easy.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

William Davis
on Mar 3, 2014 at 2:38:29 pm

Same here-

We received one of the Mac Pros we ordered and Final Cut Studio 3 is running fine on it with an AJA Io XT. We're having audio issues with FCP7 and the AJA Io 4K, but the engineers at AJA tell us a fix is in the works.

Fortunately we're using FCP7 less and less, mostly to open legacy projects and finish up long-term jobs.

-BD

Bill Davis
thedavisreview.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Mar 3, 2014 at 5:56:39 pm

I also have disk images, but Mavericks allows share and use of network DVD drives.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14195

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 4, 2014 at 12:26:08 am

Exact opposite going on here. I'm just excited I got mavericks running on my MacPro 1,1 dual 2ghz. The lowliest Intel MacPro there was. Runs great! thanks to Jeff Kirkland that pointed me toward SFOTT (sixty four on thirty two).

Now if I could just get that 2nd DVD door to close.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 4, 2014 at 5:00:11 pm

"Now if I could just get that 2nd DVD door to close."

When I had a 1,1 with a stuck door, I found that wedging a small black binder clip from Staples under the rear of the DVD drive (open the side panel to get at it) did the trick. I think over time, the drive sags a bit, making it not line up with the door properly,

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Mar 4, 2014 at 5:05:06 pm

There's no drive behind this door. It's the second one. Think I screwed it up when I upgraded the "superdrive" when it died. Never could get it to flip back. Now it's just ventilation.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:36:47 pm

Ok. The whole module where the DVD/CD drives go actually slides out. You might try reseating it if you have not already. It's possible the hinge is broken, but it's more likely something is just out of alignment. If it's off by a millimeter the door won't slide up. Looks cool when it works, but from a user standpoint it's a bit too fussy.

Return to posts index

Julio F. Lastres
on Apr 25, 2014 at 1:08:43 pm

hello,

i am waiting for a new mac pro to arrive and wanted to check in on how fcp7 was running on the new systems. i have a long edit coming up and it has to be on fcp7, can the new mac pro run fcp7 efficiently? does it crash often? thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 25, 2014 at 3:50:21 pm

[Julio F. Lastres] "can the new mac pro run fcp7 efficiently? does it crash often? thanks in advance!"

It runs as well as it ever has... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Apr 25, 2014 at 11:58:11 pm

Runs fine on the Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K with newest Desktop Video 10.1. Before that version there were audio problems, audio playback dropping out. New software seems to have solved that. Using Mac Pro 2013 Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB, D-500s. Of course FCPX runs great. It even runs Media 100 2.1.5. Might be checking on AJA Kona LHi in OWC Helios 2 Thunderbolt 2 chassis sometime soon, or might just leave it in the 2012 Hexacore tower.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

julio f. lastres
on Apr 27, 2014 at 1:17:57 pm
Last Edited By julio f. lastres on May 23, 2014 at 10:44:54 pm

thanks so much for all the feedback.

after a couple of weeks of testing i can report that fcp7 and compressor 3 run great and about 40% faster on the new mac pro than on my early 2008 mac pro (imports/exports, renders & compression).

my config:
- 3.5GHz 6-core with 12MB of L3 cache
- 32GB (4x8GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC
- 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
- Dual AMD FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 VRAM each

many thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]