FORUMS: list search recent posts

2008 Mac Pro to early 2013 Retina i7 MBP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
2008 Mac Pro to early 2013 Retina i7 MBP
on Mar 1, 2014 at 9:20:31 pm

Since the launch of FCPX I've been using it on my trusty old 2008 8 core Mac Pro, I've tried to extend it's life by adding an SSD Boot Drive, SATA RAID and AMD 7950 GFX card, it's been very usable but since FCPX 10.1 I've noticed FCPX starting to slow down a lot.

I've just purchased an early 2013 i7 MBP with SSD boot drive and GT650 card for a mobile project and I'm shocked just how much faster it is in every respect than the Mac Pro, FCPX absolutely flies even using my RAID via USB 3 on an existing large project.

So the Mac Pro will now be retired earlier than planned and my faith in FCPX has been restored a little.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
Re: 2008 Mac Pro to early 2013 Retina i7 MBP
on Mar 1, 2014 at 10:36:08 pm

I have a friend who upgraded to 10.1.1 on his 2010 MBP 17", and is being tortured by beach balls. Meanwhile, my copy is on a brand new MBPr 13", 16GB RAM, i7 and SSD. Media on RAID, FW -to-TBolt adapter. Flies along beautifully, though needs proxy files for multicam clips to play seamlessly.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Mar 2, 2014 at 1:31:19 pm

Same here. Just got a tricked out rMBP 15" last month and FCPX 10.1.1 runs like a dream. Ripped out a job for a client yesterday that he booked an entire day for, but the speed of FCPX and having all the tools in a simple, elegant interface got us done in 5 hours (flat project rate, so no loss of revenue). He was thrilled and I got to play 9 holes of golf. I like that.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Mar 4, 2014 at 7:30:33 pm

[Steve Connor] "Since the launch of FCPX I've been using it on my trusty old 2008 8 core Mac Pro, I've tried to extend it's life by adding an SSD Boot Drive, SATA RAID and AMD 7950 GFX card, it's been very usable but since FCPX 10.1 I've noticed FCPX starting to slow down a lot.

I've just purchased an early 2013 i7 MBP with SSD boot drive and GT650 card for a mobile project and I'm shocked just how much faster it is in every respect than the Mac Pro, FCPX absolutely flies even using my RAID via USB 3 on an existing large project. "

Same here.. even the MacBook Air runs FCPX faster than the 8-core Mac Pro that was upgraded...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Mar 8, 2014 at 8:25:54 am

I've spent the last couple of days editing a short drama shot on 4K XAVC on the MacBook with a laptop Thunderbolt drive and it's still noticeably faster than the MacPro. No beach balls, or sluggishness at all.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]