FORUMS: list search recent posts

CNN is going with Adobe CC & Adobe Anywhere

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Kimery
CNN is going with Adobe CC & Adobe Anywhere
on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:53:12 pm

Sounds like CNN provided a lot of feedback to Adobe to get exactly what they were looking for.

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/adobe/adobe/cnn-adopts-adobe-anywhere/...

Last month, CNN announced that it has adopted Adobe Systems’ new collaborative workflow platform, Adobe Anywhere, as the central key to upgrading its entire international newsroom journalism editing and distribution approach. This could foretell a major paradigm shift in the way multi-centric production and delivery systems will be shaped to tackle the challenges of turning the exploding barrage of input formats that digital content creators are facing today into the increasingly complex requirements of large and small delivery platforms—providing content to people, well, anywhere.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: CNN is going with Adobe CC & Adobe Anywhere
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:17:49 pm

Gosh, do you think they'll require CNN to write a seven figure check every month (without fail) in order to keep their entire news gathering system from grinding to a halt?

Or will CNN get special consideration?

Seriously, if they provide a persistent license system for a big user like CNN, one of two things will immediately happen. Either they'll have to come up with a better story as to why they don't offer that to the "little people" - or (more likely) they'll face some script kiddie hacking the system and reverse engineering the CNN style license - and selling cracked versions on the black hat sites.

This would have been a huge feather for Adobe, if they hadn't done the rental thing.

Now it's just cause to try to figure out how they can justify the 30 day squeeze on the little folks, while rolling out a different system for the big ones. (if, in fact they do that. Time will tell.)

Grab your popcorn, this should be fun to watch.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:59:01 pm

I am no big fan of Adobe or subscription pricing and I don't have the slightest idea what CNN's deal with Adobe is but I seriously doubt it has a monthly subscription fee attached to it. But that aside what I read in the text of that release is this: Either they tried to talk to Apple and were ignored, or they discerned there was no point in even trying to talk to Apple. They talked to Adobe and Adobe responded to their concerns.

As for the "little guy?" How much is a subscription to Premiere CC? About $20 a month I think.

Tim

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:01:46 pm

[Bill Davis] "Gosh, do you think they'll require CNN to write a seven figure check every month (without fail) in order to keep their entire news gathering system from grinding to a halt?"

What are you talking about Bill? You can pay for a year up front. One time annual charge (not to mention the grace period). You can even pay for multiple years up front if you are worried about price creep.

I guess your anti-FUD stance is limited to just FCPX. ;)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:49:31 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "What are you talking about Bill? You can pay for a year up front. One time annual charge (not to mention the grace period). You can even pay for multiple years up front if you are worried about price creep.

I guess your anti-FUD stance is limited to just FCPX. ;)"

How much difference in cost is there between a 12 month plan upfront compared to pay on a monthly basis? I would have no issue going this direction but at present no clear exit strategy. This is why I am not willing to subscribe at the moment. Offer an exit strategy, and one that is fair for everyone then I will consider joining. Until then I am taking the other fork in the road.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:47:48 am

No difference. And you still have to keep your computer online for its monthly check in. The reason behind that is because what it also needs to do is check that it's only installed on 2 machines. When you install on machine 3, the other two are both disconnected from the cloud. Next time one checks in it'll be asked for a password etc to reconnect. Convoluted, but actually pretty seamless. Until you go 90 days without a successful check in. Then it would shut off. Even if you're paid up for a year.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:51:21 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "What are you talking about Bill? You can pay for a year up front. One time annual charge (not to mention the grace period). You can even pay for multiple years up front if you are worried about price creep."

Uh, an allusion to the fact that right now for a single user, the "card rate" (without temporary discounts) is $50 bucks per month per seat. I have no clue how many edit seats CNN would need, but I'd certainly suspect it to be more than 20,000 since they're a global news gathering operation with facilities all over the planet.

But this is certainly presumptive scratch pad figuring. But I don't think it's silly - and my point that they're likely doing something for a large user like CNN that they don't offer the average single seat user is kinda obvious.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:16:58 pm

[David Mathis] "How much difference in cost is there between a 12 month plan upfront compared to pay on a monthly basis? I would have no issue going this direction but at present no clear exit strategy. This is why I am not willing to subscribe at the moment."

AFAIK there is no difference in price between signing up for a year of CC and paying all at once or paying it off over all 12 months. If you just sign up for one month that is more expensive but that's always been the case.

Adobe started offering the one year 'lump sum' payment option so users wouldn't be obligated to keep a credit card on file with Adobe.

[Bill Davis] "and my point that they're likely doing something for a large user like CNN that they don't offer the average single seat user is kinda obvious."

Stop alluding and just spit it out, Bill. We're all friends here. Volume discount? Maybe, but that's common. No monthly payments? That option is available to everyone. Is Adobe getting some super double top secret perpetual license that isn't available to mere mortals? Probably not. But money talks though so who knows what terms they might have hammered out. I mean, if I put in a order for 20,000 Mac Pros I'm sure Apple would be open to giving me some personalized treatment that would not be available to customers that only need one Mac Pro.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:53:49 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:57:21 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Stop alluding and just spit it out, Bill. We're all friends here. Volume discount? Maybe, but that's common. No monthly payments? That option is available to everyone. Is Adobe getting some super double top secret perpetual license that isn't available to mere mortals? Probably not. But money talks though so who knows what terms they might have hammered out. I mean, if I put in a order for 20,000 Mac Pros I'm sure Apple would be open to giving me some personalized treatment that would not be available to customers that only need one Mac Pro.
"

I'm not "alluding" at all. I'm musing on the fact that Adobe went to a "you can't own this, you must RENT this" model for ostensibly all their customers. For the small user, it puts at least some burden of insecurity on them. If they've in fact solved what I see as this "insecurity" problem for one class of their users inside their internal sales ecosystem then it's sensible to point out the inconsistency in their offering that for one class of user, but not for others.

Yes, volume buyers nearly ALWAYS get discount rates. Standard business operation everywhere. Whats NOT standard business operation is to set up two entirely separate CLASSES of customers - and force one of those classes to play by a whole different set of operating rules against their wishes - while your other classes don't have access to those same terms. I'm not saying its WRONG. Any business is free to make whatever rules they like. I'm just saying that it's not a business practice that I feel I can support.

Perhaps CNN is fine with paying for a year of service in advance? As any individual editor may be. But some of us feel that the classes of businesses who do that - who demand advanced payment for future performance (and there are lots of business models like the insurance industry that do that) - is a less desirable type of vendor than a company that charges you only for the value they deliver at the actual point of sale - which is the model that Apple (and Sony and every other "box goods" software offering out there have traditionally used for their NLE offerings.

I understand that Adobe is trying to change the paradigm. And I totally understand the benefit to them. I just can't see any benefits for to their customers, unless they simply can't compete in the financial markets without the type of hostage revenue streams that makes "pull the plug" entities such as electric utilities and the Cable TV industry so profitable.

BTW, I get that something akin to this same criticism was leveled at Apple over FCP-X in spades. (the kill the strong existing product contrary to loyal customer expectations, thing.) But Apple believed that the users simply couldn't see the long range benefits of the changes Apple felt were required.. And it may prove that Adobe is correct, and the "perpetual pay" model may, in fact, be REQUIRED to increase the development pace and value of their products. If so, they deserve to win in the long run and the nay-sayers like me will have proved to be wrong.

And that's OK. I still feel the way I feel. Removing customer options is bad unless you actually replace them with better ones. If the only way for Adobe to survive and build great products is to resort to ransom-ware - then I get why they'd do it. I just don't have to publicly support it.

Time will tell if I'm right or wrong, I suppose.

Also, remember I'm an Adobe customer as well. I regularly use Lightroom in my still photo work. It's just odd that Adobe seems to have so much respect for my desire to own my tools as a photographer, yet feels it's important to force me to rent them as a video professional. Kinda weird, no?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:29:48 pm

[Bill Davis] "Whats NOT standard business operation is to set up two entirely separate CLASSES of customers - and force one of those classes to play by a whole different set of operating rules against their wishes - while your other classes don't have access to those same terms. I'm not saying its WRONG. Any business is free to make whatever rules they like. I'm just saying that it's not a business practice that I feel I can support"

What basis do you have for making such an accusation? Right now, it seems to be only a guess on your part. Or do you have specific details? It seems like you are making a big leap.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:37:17 am

[Oliver Peters] "What basis do you have for making such an accusation? Right now, it seems to be only a guess on your part. Or do you have specific details? It seems like you are making a big leap.
"

The facts on their face.

Adobe says you MUST rent their software if you're a single seat user.

I doubt they're telling CNN that they, too, must rent their software on similar terms.

Walter's post below yours indicates that there's a formal "enterprise solution" in play that makes that evident.

Again, read what I said carefully. I was crystal clear in acknowledging that any business is free to do this. It's their right to run their business as they see fit, so long as they don't break laws or discriminate against the type of "protected classes" that we've discussed in other posts. And software buyers are certainly NOT a protected class. So I think I was pretty up front about saying it's a problem *I* have with Adobe's approach, - not one I'm saying is necessarily a problem for anyone else.

I'm expressing a view and an opinion.

On point, I was listening to one of the popular national financial advisors, Dave Ramsey, on the car radio the other night while on a run to pick up my kid, and was amused at how he calls any "Auto Lease" an "Auto Fleece"

So undeniably, there's a general view that eschewing purchase of some things in favor of some form of "rental" payments is can be a very poor financial decision. And the type of leases he was discussing were FINITE! I can only imagine what he - or other financial advisors working in the interests of a small or large business person would say about tying oneself to an INFINITE TERM lease. Which is what I understand the Adobe model to be.

If there's a compelling argument that this is a smart financing process FOR THE CUSTOMER, I'd absolutely love to hear those who feel this way to articulate why. I'm willing to listen.

Anyone?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:13:34 am
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:15:51 am

Cars lose value. Plus they're not really a service. Adobe keeps adding value for CC subscribers. Not so with an automobile purchase.

I'm a happy CC subscriber with a 8 year-old car that's been paid off for 5 of those.

And I own and use FCPX/Motion 5 as well.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:46:43 am

[Bill Davis] "Adobe says you MUST rent their software if you're a single seat user.

I doubt they're telling CNN that they, too, must rent their software on similar terms. "

According to Adobe's CC plan FAQ, enterprise clients must agree to a three year contract so you are correct Bill that the terms aren't the same. Individual users are limited to 1 month or 1 year contracts. Though for anyone worried about price creep you can buy pre-paid annual CC subscriptions at places like Best Buy if you want to 'lock in' the current annual price for years to come.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:05:36 pm

"Adobe says you MUST rent their software if you're a single seat user."

This is not correct. The subscription method applies to individual users, team users and enterprise users. I have no connection to CNN, but I do have familiarity with several team and enterprise users including a large broadcast group. They are all on a per-seat subscription model.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:06:42 pm

[Bill Davis] "Adobe says you MUST rent their software if you're a single seat user. I doubt they're telling CNN that they, too, must rent their software on similar terms. Walter's post below yours indicates that there's a formal "enterprise solution" in play that makes that evident."

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.

Of course there are different terms, geared toward enterprise needs, which include deployment and management options that are not applicable to individual or teams CC plans.

But Creative Cloud Enterprise is still a subscription service, not a perpetual license.

[Bill Davis] "On point, I was listening to one of the popular national financial advisors, Dave Ramsey, on the car radio the other night while on a run to pick up my kid, and was amused at how he calls any "Auto Lease" an "Auto Fleece" So undeniably, there's a general view that eschewing purchase of some things in favor of some form of "rental" payments is can be a very poor financial decision. And the type of leases he was discussing were FINITE! I can only imagine what he - or other financial advisors working in the interests of a small or large business person would say about tying oneself to an INFINITE TERM lease. Which is what I understand the Adobe model to be. If there's a compelling argument that this is a smart financing process FOR THE CUSTOMER, I'd absolutely love to hear those who feel this way to articulate why. I'm willing to listen. Anyone?"

The auto lease analogy does not fit; the underlying asset in an auto lease depreciates and is not improved during the term.

I don't really think of CC as leasing or renting software; rather, I think of it as a term subscription to ongoing fruits of Adobe's development efforts. I feel more like I am funding ongoing development than buying a static product. I've seen it said that software should not be priced like cable, but I'm not sure that pricing it like a ham sandwich is always better.

To make a car analogy, it'd be like if a car manufacturer decided to start releasing new models outside of the standard one-year cycle, and your subscription entitled you to the latest model during your term. Get your 2014 BMW in January, then when the 2014.1 comes out a couple months later, you can call for it and it will show up in your driveway.

If you think of CC as just a different way to get CS, I see why you think it's a bad deal. However, so far, CC has proven to be much more than that.

Features come out when they're ready, not according to the calendar (which as an FCPX aficionado I'm sure you can appreciate).

Also, the nature of the features are changing. Subscription encourages the developer to keep existing customers happy and subscribing. This means there's less focus on shiny stuff to sell new licenses and more focus on the things that we everyday users actually need.

My favorite example of this so far? Check out this blog post from Ae product manager Steve Forde:

http://blogs.adobe.com/aftereffects/2014/01/happy-new-year-and-a-question.h...

He's asking users if they would rather see new features, or a years' worth of focus on just making After Effects faster. If Steve had pitched After Effects CS8 to his bosses with the slogan "Nothing new, but not as slow as the last version!" he would have been fired, we users wouldn't have gotten the performance enhancements we really want, and we would have gotten some shiny new widget in the software that wouldn't have been that useful in the real world (like Ae CS6's ray-tracing renderer).

From my perspective, CC is an improvement over CS not because of how we pay for it, but because of what we are getting and how it's re-shaping the development process.

I also remain hopeful that the service layer side of CC will grow over the coming years, expanding our capabilities beyond what product-only desktop software can do.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:31:42 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I also remain hopeful that the service layer side of CC will grow over the coming years, expanding our capabilities beyond what product-only desktop software can do.
"

the CC font selection is rather crappy, to the point of being meaningless - if that was startlingly strong that would shift my own needle a wee bit - the facility to use good fonts on non-internal (ahem) films would feel like adobe using their scale and heft with the CC base in an amazon S3 fashion to get me some surprising benefits. They don't even have eurostile for god's sake. Say even if they presented the full Helvetica Neue family. That might turn heads a tiny bit.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:48:59 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "the CC font selection is rather crappy, to the point of being meaningless"

The fact that CC's Files doesn't let you play a video in the web browser yet bothers me a lot more.

But the full-on focus on CC is still relatively new. It took a while for all the integration features that CS promised to gel, too. I know that CC's subscription is a dealbreaker for you, but I hope that the network/service stuff will eventually prove to be as cool as things like Dynamic Link and Direct Link.

I'm pinning a good amount of hope on this statement [link]:

[Mike Chambers] "In general, we are focusing our efforts on continuing to innovate in our creative apps, as well as building out the platform and infrastructure for Creative Cloud, with a particular focus on the service layer for 2014."

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 28, 2014 at 8:03:51 pm

[Walter Soyka] "The fact that CC's Files doesn't let you play a video in the web browser yet bothers me a lot more. "

yeah, I figured that elephant doesn't even need mentioning at this point. John davidson wrote a good piece on it in the other place. He was mindboggled.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:35:30 pm

[Bill Davis] "Yes, volume buyers nearly ALWAYS get discount rates. Standard business operation everywhere. Whats NOT standard business operation is to set up two entirely separate CLASSES of customers - and force one of those classes to play by a whole different set of operating rules against their wishes - while your other classes don't have access to those same terms. I'm not saying its WRONG. Any business is free to make whatever rules they like. I'm just saying that it's not a business practice that I feel I can support."

We don't talk about it much here, but there is an enterprise version of Creative Cloud, for education, government and business. It's targeted at organizations over 150 seats.

http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/enterprise.html

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:45:19 am

[Bill Davis] "Uh, an allusion to the fact that right now for a single user..."

[Bill Davis] "I'm not "alluding" at all."

??? ;)

[Bill Davis] "Whats NOT standard business operation is to set up two entirely separate CLASSES of customers - and force one of those classes to play by a whole different set of operating rules against their wishes - while your other classes don't have access to those same terms."

And where did Adobe say they were doing this?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:33:42 pm

“Apple’s newer Final Cut X release did not have the capabilities we needed to execute a news-oriented workflow,” Koetter explained, “so we went through a rigorous process with Adobe to vet Premiere for our needs and they responded with a very large number of modifications to their NLE, including features in their ‘editing finesse’ category and closed captioning tools. To us, Premiere appears to be the best-in-class craft editing system for our purposes.”

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:59:33 pm

[Brian Mulligan] "“Apple’s newer Final Cut X release did not have the capabilities we needed to execute a news-oriented workflow,” Koetter explained, “so we went through a rigorous process with Adobe to vet Premiere for our needs and they responded with a very large number of modifications to their NLE, including features in their ‘editing finesse’ category and closed captioning tools. To us, Premiere appears to be the best-in-class craft editing system for our purposes.”"

Doesn't seem like there's any real surprise here, unless it's that Avid's collaborative editing platform lost this one. FCP X doesn't have an equivalent of Anywhere, which clearly played a major part in their decision. On the other hand, Anywhere, at least in its current form, is basically irrelevant to probably 95% of NLE customers, so the takeaway from this for most people is approximately nil.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:28:05 pm

[Chris Kenny] "unless it's that Avid's collaborative editing platform lost this one. "

Exactly Chris. Nary an Avid mention. That has got to hurt. No wonder there are no CNN guys on the Executive Board of the Avid Customer Association.

Adobe Anywhere and Avid Everywhere? How much are these guys paying marketing?

;-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:06:08 pm

CNN began phasing Avid out in 2007 in favor of FCP. I don't think they ever considered Avid in their current plans and I pretty sure Avid didn't court them to do so. A loss? Maybe. More like a missed opportunity. Avid has huge presence in big broadcast markets and the feature film industry. And lot of that is ISIS based. When economic pressures and performance issues begin to threaten that infrastructure then Avid will be in big trouble.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:34:21 pm

I'll bet FCP X was a very close 2nd. :) Or, as we like to say in golf, "it was the best of the losers."

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:46:23 pm

Ouch.

Tim

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:07:30 pm

Why is the assumption automatically that it doesn't conform to some sort of subscription model? Large enterprise software implementations (IBM, Oracle, etc.) are often based on annual professional services and support contracts.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:13:41 pm

All I meant was that CNN is not going to get a deal equivalent to what you and I would not matter what the payment structure. My main point was that they either tried to talk to Apple and got nowhere or decided it was pointless to talk to Apple. They talked to Adobe and Adobe apparently listened to what CNN needed and promised to make changes based on those needs.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:17:35 pm

[TImothy Auld] " they either tried to talk to Apple and got nowhere or decided it was pointless to talk to Apple.""

Apple's decision to "double down on secrecy" doesn't appeal to any corporate decision makers except those inside Apple.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:18:45 pm

Remember that CNN was integral in developing how this would work. So, I'm sure they get some discounts accordingly. Also there is a TON of non-Adobe gear in there, which must be purchased. Servers, NVIDIA cards, SANs, etc. This is hardware that CNN would buy outright.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:22:41 pm

Yes, CNN must make hardware expenditures in any case. And a fair amount of the hardware that they have invested in an FCP 7 environment would cross over to a Premiere environment. So I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make here.

Tim

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:31:43 pm

[TImothy Auld] "And a fair amount of the hardware that they have invested in an FCP 7 environment would cross over to a Premiere environment."

This has not been the case in my experience. XSAN shared storage environments are very obsolete and people who have them are replacing them with newer hardware. I don't know about CNN, but a number of large companies jumping on CC are also dumping Macs for PCs.

[TImothy Auld] "So I'm not really sure of the point you are trying to make here."

My point is that there is a lot of hardware that specifically has to be purchased to implement Anywhere, regardless of any deals Adobe may offer on support and software. It requires very fast SANs and numerous Windows servers with multiple high-end NVIDIA cards to run real-time Premiere effects. I'm not sure of the final bandwidth once this is delivered, but I have been told it's as low as 3-10 concurrent users per server. But that may not be accurate, as it was told to me by Adobe at NAB2013. None of this comes from an FCP 7 legacy installation and none of it is made by Adobe.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:34:27 pm

OK, now I understand what you are talking about. And it would make sense for them to go PC. It would make sense for me if everyone didn't want everything delivered in ProRes.

Tim

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:23:17 pm

I don't imagine Apple will be very worried about this decision, Avid probably are though.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:31:22 pm

I doubt Apple will be worried as well. Mostly because they are not really in that business any longer. When I was freelancing 7-8 years ago Apple had reps (stealth to be sure, but definitely there) in newsrooms and facilities, talking up FCP and how it was the future. Kind of what Adobe is doing now. As for Avid, well...it's hard to make a bag of hammers and red bricks worry about much of anything.

Tim

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:57:03 pm

Every major network is evaluating EVERYTHING....I know that's the case here in Washington DC. Networks pay licensing fees to AVID every year for Interplay and server software...this is no different.

Networks no longer have "heavy metal" editors - specialists who just edit. Everyone's required to edit - even at the NBCCBSABC level...it's done at desktops, not specialized edit rooms - save for a few programs now here and there.

Avid's back office is a bit shaky with the latest financial information.

Avid's learning curve is steep compared to Premiere, which, in CNN's case, can be configured to work almost exactly like FCP 7.

Training and learning time is a HUGE consideration in a large new gathering operation.

Even if they might like FCP X a little better - the learning curve may have been too steep (read that as....you have to do it Apple's way...not the way you know) for them to consider it.

The bottom line is - Editing is a capital and ongoing expense for every large news gathering organization.

Adobe has made it clear they want to put their software in these operation's hands...and they have an army of folks making that happen.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:51:55 pm

I'll say this - coming from fcp7 it's ludicrous how fast you can get going with premiere CC. that timeline is home and hearth.

on the issue of special consideration - Bill is perfectly right to be suspicious, but I know of another place with an awful lot of prospective seats, and an implementation of anywhere that did not at all get the kind of special consideration they were expecting. Adobe are being pretty hardball about their licensing scheme. you'd think they think they have worked hard on it, and they're going to charge for it. the other place is still going for it - but the wrangling took up months on end.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:52:55 pm

There are still editing specialists in the NYC market so I guess that's a bit different, but as far as networks evaluating everything all the time you couldn't be more right. And Adobe does seem to be actively courting high end post in a way that Apple is not (and doesn't really have too.)

Tim

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:17:10 am

[Andy Field] "Even if they might like FCP X a little better - the learning curve may have been too steep (read that as....you have to do it Apple's way...not the way you know) for them to consider it.
"

I don't know, maybe it's me, but the learning curve on X is way easier than AVID or Pr

In news when they want producers and talent to cut stuff and that's something that's never been their focus, they would be all over X (or should be)

[Andy Field] "Everyone's required to edit - even at the NBCCBSABC level...it's done at desktops, not specialized edit rooms "

this to me is another argument for X

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:24:09 am

[tony west] "In news when they want producers and talent to cut stuff and that's something that's never been their focus, they would be all over X (or should be)"

But this is what Prelude was built for, and then it plugs right in to Pr via markers.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:33:46 am

except that "X" in a workgroup environment is NOT exactly optimal!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:47:16 am

[Mark Raudonis] "except that "X" in a workgroup environment is NOT exactly optimal!"

It's not Avid Anywhere, or Adobe Anywhere.

At this point, stylistic differences aside, it is nearly FCP7 style minus read only project files. Even so, I can Finder dupe a Library like I could an FCP7 project, I can send an XML of a Project, I can send packets of information to other people in various formats.

It's come a very long way. Sure, it's not optimal, but 7 wasn't either.

Adobe Anywhere makes perfect sense for CNN or a company like CNN. Eventually, I'm could foresee individual users being able to rent server time with Adobe CC/Anywhere, and get cloud editing on cheap clients.

For now, Adobe must save up to pay for that infrastructure, and bandwidth must increase.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:56:09 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "For now, Adobe must save up to pay for that infrastructure"

They don't need to buy it. They can rent it!

http://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/whats-new/2013/11/04/announcing-new-amazon-...

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:02:12 am

[Walter Soyka] "They don't need to buy it. They can rent it!"

Well, there you go. A couple of years of CNN hammering Anywhere in the private cloud, some global bandwidth infrastructure spending, and Adobe will be Anywhere.

And we will all be better editors/designers/pixel jockeys for it.

Heh heh.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:28:36 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's come a very long way. Sure, it's not optimal, but 7 wasn't either."

FCP 7 was insanely cheap though which is a variable that doesn't exist today like it did back then (i.e. $1k for FCP vs $25k base price for Avid MC + required Adrenaline hardware and that was still cheaper than in the Meridian days).

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'm could foresee individual users being able to rent server time with Adobe CC/Anywhere, and get cloud editing on cheap clients."

Would people ship footage to CNN and have them load it onto there servers? I can't imagine uploading all the raw footage as that would take forever and a day.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:30:54 am

[Andrew Kimery] "FCP 7 was insanely cheap though which is a variable that doesn't exist today like it did back then (i.e. $1k for FCP vs $25k base price for Avid MC + required Adrenaline hardware and that was still cheaper than in the Meridian days)."

Sure, for a good while, but Avid eventually came down to earth, and fcp pre version 5 wasn't near as flexible as 7 came to be. Let's not forget M100 sitting in for a while.

[Andrew Kimery] "Would people ship footage to CNN and have them load it onto there servers? I can't imagine uploading all the raw footage as that would take forever and a day."

You won't rent from CNN, you'll rent from Adobe. Adobe will have their own Anywhere servers (or rent from Amazon as Walter pointed out) and you can access from any Internet connection. Most processing will be done in the cloud.

This is what I meant when a bandwidth increase must happen. It's going to happen, and who knows how long it will take, but it'll happen. It's already happening.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/02/14/google_will_upgrade_fiber_network_t...

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 28, 2014 at 3:14:43 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[tony west] "In news when they want producers and talent to cut stuff and that's something that's never been their focus, they would be all over X (or should be)"

But this is what Prelude was built for, and then it plugs right in to Pr via markers."

Dosen't this assume there would be an editor to hand off to?

The producer ingesting the footage in Prelude for the editor?

I'm saying they are getting so money conscious that I could see them saying producer/editor

Then it's X or Pr

I don't like it, but I don't like seeing talent setting up the camera and then walking in front of it either, but I'm seeing more of it : /

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:12:42 am

Network news is all about sharing and accessing material everywhere all the time in multiple far flung cities. This is Avid and now adobe's strong suit. For this it doesn't seem as though Apple is interested in this market.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:37:36 am

[Andy Field] "Network news is all about sharing and accessing material everywhere all the time in multiple far flung cities. This is Avid and now adobe's strong suit. For this it doesn't seem as though Apple is interested in this market."

we just have different network experiences. sounds like you are talking about the studio.

I was always in the field, shooting and cutting and feeding back for network news.

What I'm saying is, I could bring my footage into X and tweak the sound and color and have bites ready before the uplink driver could park that truck and lock the signal : )

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 28, 2014 at 4:59:58 am

Yes but networks aren't islands of individual self contained reporters. They must settle on one platform across many bureaus where most of the editing happens on shared networked servers

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:18:47 am

[Andy Field] "Yes but networks aren't islands of individual self contained reporters. They must settle on one platform across many bureaus where most of the editing happens on shared networked servers
"

Agreed.

One question though, what NLE was CNN on before?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:39:30 am

FCP 7

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 1:21:51 pm

"FCP 7"

And in other parts of the Atlanta operation (Turner, not CNN) they have Avid. There may also be some Autodesk products.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:14:34 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "I'll bet FCP X was a very close 2nd. :) Or, as we like to say in golf, "it was the best of the losers.""

In racing, second place is first loser...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:45:56 am

Its a shame because I always thought FCP X with the previous event/project structure was perfect for a news organisation.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:25:38 pm

Also news is more than cut and air. There are enormous archiving challenges for future historical footage. Networks have small battalions of people that just do this and they need a solid networked structure to make it accessible to everyone who needs the clips.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:45:40 pm

[Andy Field] "There are enormous archiving challenges for future historical footage. Networks have small battalions of people that just do this and they need a solid networked structure to make it accessible to everyone who needs the clips"

Apple tried to play in that arena. That's where XSAN and Final Cut Server originally fit in. A few years ago they had active enterprise-level sales, implementation and evangelist staff to deal with networks and broadcast groups. Also newspaper publishers. The end result was never fully developed.

Apple pulled back their direct involvement with this and left it to resellers, who didn't do a great job. Finally Apple, pulled the plug and left those who'd embraced this path hanging. Needless to say, this did not endear Apple to such clients.

Meanwhile, Apple has done a lot to embrace the enterprise customer in how they've developed iPhone and iPad, including licensing Microsoft technology to be compatible with Exchange. They essentially dropped a low-volume, high-maintenance enterprise approach, for a different one that was in line with corporations of all types, all around the world. Plus it could be integrated into the same products that appeal to users. Apple is about empowering the individual, not the enterprise.

This sort of archiving that Andy mentions, is essential and it requires long-range planning and some sense of a reliable roadmap. Many companies go with their own custom software and IT infrastructure, so that they have complete customization and control. MLB Network is a good example. When you deal with a Sony, Grass Valley, Quantel, Dalet or Avid, these companies have staff dedicated to quoting, designing and installing one-offs for large customers. The truth is that Adobe has been doing this too, as part of their back-end support for web sites. It's just not an area most of us deal with. I would presume a similar approach will be taken with Adobe Anywhere.

The point is that the choice of NLE is inconsequential to the whole operation, as long as it plays well with the total ecosystem. FCP X is very nice, but the "plays well with others" box is definitely NOT checked.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 28, 2014 at 2:53:53 pm

I still think it's perfect for a news a organization.

The whole point of the library structure was to improve sharing.

How can X not fit in a fast pace news environment? That's one if it's strengths.

I'd have to walk into their studio and see for myself what's going on.

What I see on air is like any other cables news network.

Live with talking heads on a desk all day long with pushed back b-roll of the topic played over and over.

Dissolve, dissolve, dissolve ........push on still push push push. That's all the "cutting" I see on there for the most part. Roll in some that stuff we stole from youtube and drop and youtube font on top of it.

The other stuff that's creative is promotional (that looks great). I would be surprised if that wasn't one editor and one promotional producer cutting the whole thing like most places. I can't see multiple editors working on a promotion spot at a place like that.

Pr is a great tool and they like it better. That's cool.

I'm not convinced that X couldn't help them.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:11:03 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:11:56 pm

Here's why FCP X doesn't work for them. A real life story.

I consulted with a major international broadcaster who's evaluating FCP X, Premiere Pro and Avid to replace nearly a 1000 seats of FCP 7.

FCPX was instantly out of the game even though it was "simple" for the cut cut push push editing you describe. The reason. It didn't interface with there server and archive systems. Didn't mater how user friendly it was - it lost the fight before the first bell

Premiere Pro worked better but not perfectly with their server system. Adobe folks bending themselves into a pretzel to help make it happen - personally - on site

Avid - they're still evaluating but they already have seats installed ....the reluctance there - the steep learning curve for thousands of FCP 7 editors (most of them really reporters who edit) moving to Avid....the networking isn't a problem there.

bottom line - no matter how easy FCPX is - if it Apple isn't willing to invest the people time and equipment to support large operations....it's not going to happen.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 28, 2014 at 5:48:46 pm

Agreed. Apple doesn't seem to even want to talk about this to larger operations. Which leads me to believe they are just not interested in that business any longer. And why should they be, really? They make a fortune without it.

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:15:05 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Apple doesn't seem to even want to talk about this to larger operations. Which leads me to believe they are just not interested in that business any longer. And why should they be, really? They make a fortune without it.
"

I'm not sure this is true, that Azteca deal is fairly major. But, like a lot of things FCP X, it's not a US/Hollywood organization so it gets discounted. I'm sure CNN had good reasons to choose Pr. It's a great, familiar, "mature" solution, X isn't.

I think, in some respects, Apples' problem isn't that it doesn't listen to customers, it's that it does. PIOP's anyone? And the new Library setup. while nice and easy, is way less flexible in many ways than the former structure. I'm not sure it's better yet, but that's what customers wanted, so that's what they got.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:31:48 pm

Apple (or Avid or Adobe or Autodesk or Sony or Panasonic or Canon, et al) listening to their customers too much? This is an argument with which I am unfamiliar.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:34:15 pm

And, also what about Azteca? How many seats? How much invested? Is it even remotely in the CNN ballpark?

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:49:46 pm

And, the Lord forgive me - one more thing. Is there any evidence whatever that there was any kind of "deal" between Apple and Azteca. Or did Azteca just buy off the shelf and Apple got wind of it and the "deal" that was struck only had to to with featuring Azteca on the FCPX page?

I looked in vain on that very page for any quote that said, or even implied such as "Apple has been very responsive to our needs" or "we worked closely with Apple to make this transition happen" or anything even remotely expressing such a sentiment. If you are using this example to Apple is talking - to anyone - I just don't see that evidence here.

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:59:03 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I looked in vain on that very page for any quote that said, or even implied such as "Apple has been very responsive to our needs" or "we worked closely with Apple to make this transition happen" or anything even remotely expressing such a sentiment. If you are using this example to Apple is talking - to anyone - I just don't see that evidence here."

Apple, for better or worse, doesn't really talk about any deals they make. It's my understanding, from admittedly secondhand sources, that Apple has been working closely with Azteca. But you're correct, there is no "evidence".

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:54:35 pm

[TImothy Auld] "And, also what about Azteca? How many seats? How much invested? Is it even remotely in the CNN ballpark?
"

Dunno, CNN is huge, so probably not. If I had to guess, I'd bet Anywhere was the bit that sold them on Pr. It's perfect for a Co. with the size, and deep pockets, of CNN.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:35:51 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Apple (or Avid or Adobe or Autodesk or Sony or Panasonic or Canon, et al) listening to their customers too much? This is an argument with which I am unfamiliar."

It actually seems that Adobe listens to Apple's editor customers a lot more than Apple listens to Apple's editor customers.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:48:52 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "It actually seems that Adobe listens to Apple's editor customers a lot more than Apple listens to Apple's editor customers."

That hasn't been my experience. Now, if by that you mean that Apple has not ditched magnetism and brought back fixed tracks, then you're correct.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:20:47 pm
Last Edited By Aindreas Gallagher on Feb 28, 2014 at 7:32:35 pm

adobe recently ran a code demo at one of their events where they presented three relatively small new features in the pipeline and asked people to vote their favourite on twitter - the winner was coded live over the weekend and slotted for the next update. It was batch selecting PPRo sequences from the project panel for export without having to open them - its a good feature.

whatever about the semantics of what actually constitutes listening - that above is definably listening, and dancing on hot coals to visibly perform for the subscriber. And to show off the fleet footedness in implementing features now they are a landlord instead of a tool seller.

for better or for worse apple overall follow the dictum that they can give the customer the thing they need and didn't know they needed - the things the customer can't think of. We all know its valid because no one saw the ipod, the iphone or iOS coming. Apple didn't make a better symbian or a better dial kepyad - they completely upended mobile computing forever. Its just a question of whether or not that _KABOOM_ we have brought footage databases and a magnetic timeline into the world_ philosophy holds true in terms of the ongoing requirements of professional software customers.

Also it took apple an entire year to cook up a library container, as a full dot one release. that felt slow to me.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 28, 2014 at 6:44:55 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Apple (or Avid or Adobe or Autodesk or Sony or Panasonic or Canon, et al) listening to their customers too much? This is an argument with which I am unfamiliar."

lol. Like everything here, just an opinion. I mean this in the sense that they sometimes give people what they want, even if what existed was, potentially, "better". The project Library was a really great way to organize and manage cuts. At the same time, it could be confusing and was "unfamiliar". And it needed improvement. But "everyone" wanted a single FCP 7/Pr style single package, so that's what they got.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:11:27 pm

I've got to admit that after these weeks of daily use of 10.1 I still do miss the Project Library.

I get and like the "all assets in a unified library" idea. I just miss having that nice array of what now can be thought of as all my "cross library" projects laid out in skim-able lines with all the visual cues laid out = was kinda beautiful in a way the new Project icons is decidedly not.

Oh well.

Hopefully, in the long run, a loss in one area will turn into gains in others.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:13:20 pm

[Andy Field] "if it Apple isn't willing to invest the people time and equipment to support large operations....it's not going to happen.
"

Well, I can't disagree there.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Mar 1, 2014 at 7:25:39 pm

Of course the massive downside of the new structure - in its current form - is that you cannot search the whole library at once for a string or keyword, you can only search one event at the time. For FCP X to be really useful a news scenairo you would need to do exactly that. that would be very powerful.

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Mar 1, 2014 at 7:31:33 pm

[Michael Sanders] "s that you cannot search the whole library at once for a string or keyword, you can only search one event at the time."

I'd be surprised if they didn't add that ability. Though I've been surprised by the missing match frame replace edit for quite a while....

Return to posts index

Zhang Junhao
on Mar 2, 2014 at 2:46:34 pm

Probably Adobe paying CNN to adopt Anywhere ? And how does it interface with a Newsroom Automation system ?

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Mar 2, 2014 at 5:43:38 pm

As far back as 2009, Adobe were working with the Hearst engineering department on making ENPS work with their software:

http://markets.financialcontent.com/pennwell.dental/news/read?GUID=10029182

The station I was Art Director at was the pilot program for our 28 stations across the US. At the time we had AVID systems, and all of our stations were hobbled by technical glitches and problems, resulting in huge losses of productivity. Our station (WMUR-TV) was close enough to AVID's headquarters that we regularly got visits from the tech staff, but it didn't help. We would regularly have one node of our Unity system go down, and it would completely lock up the rest of the system - we would lose two or three days (and files) in these lockups, and the promise that if one node went down, everything else would stay up and running, was never realized. We switched over to Adobe CS4 with one test system, and it ran circles around the AVID systems, although we did lose the ability to have multiple users working with the same files (which never really worked right anyway).

The Adobe engineers were accessible, cooperative, and worked with the Hearst engineering team to make sure everything worked. When there were problems, they jumped on it. Of course, having over 25 stations didn't hurt.

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Mar 3, 2014 at 3:03:40 pm

[Zhang Junhao] "Probably Adobe paying CNN to adopt Anywhere ?"

No.

[Zhang Junhao] "And how does it interface with a Newsroom Automation system ?"

They have their own development infrastructure in many cases.

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

alban egger
on Mar 2, 2014 at 3:57:40 pm

Not a big surprise. Their options were Avid or Adobe, since Edius (which I would choose, if I was a news network) is Windows only and FCPX (my next choice as a newshouse) is Apple only. CNN has to work with both sides of the OS-giants.

Avid is not going to work for news-people who are not editors, but writers mostly. So anything else would have been a surprise. But CNN has a special business model, so their lead is not helping any creative editor in his decision.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Mar 2, 2014 at 7:26:13 pm

[alban egger] "Not a big surprise. Their options were Avid or Adobe, since Edius (which I would choose, if I was a news network) is Windows only and FCPX (my next choice as a newshouse) is Apple only. CNN has to work with both sides of the OS-giants.

Avid is not going to work for news-people who are not editors, but writers mostly. So anything else would have been a surprise. But CNN has a special business model, so their lead is not helping any creative editor in his decision."

CNN went to FCP (from Avid) around '07 so I don't think they are too worried about being cross platform (although that flexibility doesn't hurt). Adobe Anywhere sounds like the 'killer app' that sealed the deal with Adobe.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Mar 2, 2014 at 11:35:06 pm

i know someone who worked edius for the asian games. it is a crashy cream pie of awful in their experience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]