FORUMS: list search recent posts

Should I have purchased New Mac Pro in Apple store for business??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
Should I have purchased New Mac Pro in Apple store for business??
on Feb 26, 2014 at 7:32:33 am

I know it's not March yet but not many days left either. Slowly Apple policy is getting on my nerves. They release the MP just before the end of the year but theoretically they can say they've met their deadline.

Now I've purchased my MP in the apple store on december 19th and so far all I got is a couple of emails assuring me they're expecting to meet their deadline. (I'm not that confident anymore)

I was kinda shocked to see other users online who bought their MP 1-2 weeks after I ordered it and they've already got theirs sitting on their desk! Someone posted this on facebook page (we want a new mac pro)

" New MacPro has been shipped and arriving Monday.
Ordered 26 Dec. 6 core, 32GB Ram and AMD 700s
Vind ik leuk ยท 21 februari om 3:27"

Exact same specs as what I've ordered! So why is this? I just found out there is a store for businesses, should I have ordered there? I've also heard Marcus Moore talk about a business representative, should I have bought with one of those people? Should I have ordered through another company?

I'm trying to understand why apple is making a difference between me who ordered in their own store, and someone else...

I consider myself a patient guy but I'm not Buddha :-)

Return to posts index

Tim Vaughan
Re: Should I have purchased New Mac Pro in Apple store for business??
on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:29:53 am

We ordered a 12 core D700 from Tech Depot (Office Depot) late Jan and it hasn't shipped yet. No word, actually. Everyday it's a big question of if it'll just show up, but I'm not holding out hope....

Tim
Apple XRAID, XServe, 2008 2x3 GHz Quad-Core MacPro, Macbook Pro, XSAN, Dell Studio xps PC's
FCP Studio (7), AVID Media Composer, Adobe Production Premium, Maxon Cinema 4d, AJA Kona 3, Flanders Scientific Monitors, Panasonic HPX250's, Kessler Crane, Glidecam.....
Beer fridge fully loaded.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 26, 2014 at 11:54:21 am

End of January, I wouldn't expect anything soon I guess. I've been waiting for almost 70 days now... The only "heavy upgrade" I have is the D700 and an extra stick of RAM, that's it...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 26, 2014 at 1:38:39 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Feb 26, 2014 at 1:40:59 pm

If you're buying Apple gear semi regularly, there's no reason NOT to order it thru an Apple business rep-

The most obvious reason being that you get a business discount on your order. ANYTHING I purchase from Apple right now is 5% off. And that's a lot of money when you're talking about drive arrays, ACDs, or MacPros.

In some cases an Apple business rep can get your order processed faster, but with the MacPro I don't think you would have seen much of a difference. I ordered my machine December 26th, with a ship date of February. FedEx will be dropping it off today. So that was 2 months, but I was probably in the heaviest glut of orders. Those who didn't make the first day rush, but got in before February ship dates turned into March.

If you're ship notice says February, I'm betting or order status will change to at least "Preparing for Shipment" by the last day of this month. From that point, you'll have your machine in 3 days tops.

I think the disparity in wait times for some people was the configurations they ordered. I think Intel Xeon chip supplies were the constraining factor here. I think they were ESPECIALLY tight on 8-core processors. Stock configs seemed to be floating around if you knew where to look and could act fast.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 26, 2014 at 3:39:30 pm

In that case of 5% I really wish I had done the purchase through the business rep., Just didn't know how or that it was possible.

Still you're getting your order already eventhough my order went in the very first day and mine is only a 6-core. Ah well, I guess I'll have to take it as it comes but I wish Apple would be more open about things. I could still cancel my order so I can buy it from a business rep. but that would set me back months...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:02:14 pm

You should still contact Apple and open a business account. Even if you can't get the discount on the MacPro you've already ordered- it will show up on your account as a business purchase.

The way it works is: if you just want to walk into a store and buy an iPad and say you want a business discount- no deal. Spending X amount of money over a certain period of time is what gets you progressively better discounts going forward. So a new MacPro is expensive enough that you'll get SOME discount right away. Might be 3% or 5%, I can't remember. But if you then buy displays, or a Promise RAID, or a laptop after that- the discount still applies, or even gets better depending on how quickly frequently you're spending. And once you have that discount established- then it applies to just about any purchase you make, including iPhones, iPads, whatever...

What's the ship date say on your order form? Did you buy directly from Apple?

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:52:58 pm

Shipdate is February, and I bought directly from apple store, no middle man. All I have to do is give them a call? I'll check google, see what i can come up with. Thanks for the tip, chances are I will be spending more on apple products in the coming years...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:56:56 pm

And what do you see as your order status now? Still "Processing order" or has it moved to "Preparing for Shipment"?

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:58:59 pm

It says: Processing item

So they're not preparing to ship yet. I can't really find much on the apple site about the business account, I'm not sure you can change your existing account but I guess I'll have to make a call to do that.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 26, 2014 at 5:06:32 pm

Do you not have any local Apple store that you deal with? If not, pick the closest one and give them a call and tell them you'd like to set up a business account for future purchases, and that you'd like your current (but unfulfilled) MacPro purchase applied to it.

I have a specific guy at my Apple store who I deal with. That person gets to know you and your business.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 26, 2014 at 5:09:55 pm

Ok I'll do that... , I'll start calling tomorrow see what they can do! Thanks Marcus!

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:19:26 am
Last Edited By Bernard Newnham on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:20:10 am

At BVE yesterday I saw two MacTubes. One was on a stand of Apple resellers, and in a crowded hall they looked a bit lonely on their empty stand. No adoring crowds for them. Elsewhere, the Final Cut Pro X Professional (!) theatre was doing good business, as were Adobe and Avid.

I did my bit in a TV-Bay hosted web discussion on training, and the current problem in the UK of not being able to get the staff at the junior end.

B

Bernie

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:55:10 am

That's probably my tube standing there :-)

But isnt' that weird? : final cut PRO X PROfessional? Is Final Cut Pro X for amateurs then?

It's now February 27th,... and no word from Apple yet, they're really stretching it...

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:13:35 pm

Well, we just had some news from apple.

"Unfortunately your order has been delayed and will not be shipping in February. We hope to ship in the next 7 working days but we have no confirmation on the shipping date. If the date changes we will update you."

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 27, 2014 at 4:27:46 pm

I just got a call from apple with the exact same info!

I could explode! but I'm not going to... Now let's hope the tube actually has the specs I ordered! (unless they've mistakenly put an 8 core in there, a 1 TB SSD and 64Gigs of RAM, in that case I will hold my piece..)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2014 at 8:03:30 pm

FWIW, MacMall and Tekserve both seem to have reasonable stock on the stock models, same day shipping or walk in and carry out. Tekserve says the BTO are very slow though.

MacMall says 5-7 days on all the BTO systems.

B&H showing 4-6 weeks even on stock models for the last few weeks. All my local Apple Stores show "ship to store" rather than in stock.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 28, 2014 at 9:27:18 am

Perhaps that would have been the safest thing, to buy a stock model and upgrade later if needed.

I just don't understand that some people order december 26th or later and get their order weeks before someone who orders on the 19th.
I'm sure it makes sense to Apple but when I would start doing that to clients that would be considered to be a bad thing.
Perhaps it has got to do with the fact that I'm living in Europe like Tom Sefton, and we both got the same message. Maybe Apple decided to serve Americans and Canadians first? I'm sure shipping takes about a week from US shores to Europe.

Ah well, probably once that machine is on my desk it'll be water under the bridge

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 28, 2014 at 12:50:20 pm

Although do consider that in NYC I can buy at B&H and have a six week wait for a stock model yet a mile away I can walk into Tekserve and walk out with the same computer... and apparently even the nearby Apple store has a wait of several days. MacMall, online, will also ship the stock model the same day for next day delivery. It seems Apple has a very odd distribution model.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 28, 2014 at 10:21:50 pm

That's a very weird distribution model indeed!

But they've made the December deadline and I had an estimated shipping date of february, so essentially there's nothing wrong, I just wish they would be more open about things. I would mind things less when they would just be straight and say what's going on.

anyway, given the fact they've doubled down on secrecy that'll never happen :-)

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Mar 1, 2014 at 1:45:34 am

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/02/27/mac-pro-delayed-orders/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Mar 1, 2014 at 4:22:37 am

Walked into Tekserve today and walked out with stock 6 core model. No waiting. I asked what the wait would be if I wanted 512GB SSD instead of stock 256GB SSD. They said that could be several weeks.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Mar 2, 2014 at 8:17:44 am

Mine will be arriving the 7th of march... 6 core, D700, 32GB...

finally... :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]