FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid delisted from NASDAQ

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franz Bieberkopf
Avid delisted from NASDAQ
on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:31:09 pm

"Avid (Nasdaq:AVID) announced that as expected, it received a notification letter from NASDAQ on February 21, 2014 indicating that the NASDAQ Listing Qualifications Hearings Panel had determined to delist the shares of the Company from The NASDAQ Stock Market and, accordingly, suspend trading in the Company's shares effective at the open of business on Tuesday, February 25, 2014."

http://ir.avid.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=827707

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Avid delisted from NASDAQ
on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:46:11 pm

A letter? If NASDAQ is going to break up with you I think they should have the decency to do it in person.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:08:45 pm

Personally I think Avid wanted this to happen.
It gives them more control over stock sales and they can now operate with less "public" (Industry) scrutiny IMHO.

Personally, again, I wouldn't be surprised if they start making a range of "moves" whether it be capital investment or sale or "product alignment" that might have been more difficult otherwise, within the year.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:11:01 pm

Claims they want to be re-listed by mid 2014 but I can't help that's "PR spin"
http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/blog/techflash/2014/02/nasdaq-suspends-tr...

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:16:54 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I wouldn't be surprised if they start making a range of "moves" ... that might have been more difficult otherwise, within the year."

Craig,

As I'm quite ignorant on the matter, what sorts of things would be difficult to do while listed on NASDAQ; what sorts of things are easier now; when did being listed on NASDAQ become a negative?

Franz.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2014 at 5:57:16 pm

Since the stock isn't "publicly" listed, brokers selling it privately have a bit more control. It might be easier to work out the sale of the company or to get private capital investment.

The trading is OTC (over the counter).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over-the-counter_(finance)
This as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OTC_Markets_Group

I won't say it's positive vs negative but the differing situation has different amounts of control and types of regulation and might give Avid a freer hand in some of their immediate financial situations.

While not quite the same thing, consider that some companies remain private and some public companies move to go private. It's situational rather than universally positive or negative.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 24, 2014 at 8:24:19 pm

The stock is down nearly 25% this afternoon. I would term that "negative".

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 24, 2014 at 11:19:27 pm

I can certainly imagine that stock holders may not trust the OTC market nor trust if/when Avid really intends to get re-listed in any reasonable amount of time (or at all).

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 24, 2014 at 11:28:39 pm

I tend to agree with Craig here. I don't think they have any intention of getting re-listed. A 25% stock drop is, I don't think, significant in this situation. Enough major monetary players have enough invested in Avid that it is not about to go away. It just may come back under another name.

Tim

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Feb 25, 2014 at 12:00:30 am

They might just come back as the reverse of their name - Diva. This would also in some way explain the attitude they put forth during their salad days. :>)

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Pierre Jasmin
on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:07:29 am

Mr Bourke, that's too funny!

Pierre

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:22:14 pm

OK, now that's funny! How fondly I remember the good old days when my Avid system would seize up (usually on a weekend or a holiday) and I would spend forever on the phone waiting for my system to get a "remote blessing." Not to mention the incessant arrival of new cards and the never ending EOL notices.

Tim

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 25, 2014 at 1:50:10 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Enough major monetary players have enough invested in Avid that it is not about to go away. It just may come back under another name."

No, it won't go away, but certainly has a chance to be marginalized as a niche product for long form and film folks...which is a nice niche to have for some other company....BMD? hmmm

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:30:50 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "but certainly has a chance to be marginalized as a niche product for long form and film folks"

One of two things would have to happen at some point of course.
Currently that niche isn't profitable for Avid (based on the last time they reported).
So either some entity will know how to make that niche profitable or they're going to expand their reach.
Of course the third possibility is nothing will change and eventually they may be another CMX.

While not profitable they are also virtually debt free which makes them a good purchase for somebody. Otherwise they can "risk" some infusion which will step up the R&D in some area or another.

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:50:40 pm

What effect, if any, do you think this will have on the software they make?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 25, 2014 at 5:21:58 pm

Obviously completely speculative but I mentioned one scenario in another thread.
That would be putting in R&D for better integration of ISIS with Adobe and maybe Apple.
Over time that might mean less resources for Media Composer.
Personally I think increasing ISIS sales is more important than Media Composer is for their bottom line.
I know others feel otherwise...
...but my response is...
Avid is going to HAVE TO change something to increase sales of their high revenue generating products.

I'd love to hear other scenarios about what might change rather than just hearing "that won't change" as that leads to a dead end for Avid and that I don't think will happen.

The problem is, the longer they take to find a way to expand sales, the more time competitors have to develop alternatives.

Return to posts index

Ben Mullins
on Feb 26, 2014 at 8:46:25 am

Thanks Craig, amidst the uncertainly within the NLE market it's interesting to see where Media Composer might go. Like you say, pure speculation, but I always wondered why some aspects of it just never seemed to really develop. Not that I don't like MC, in fact there are some excellent features, but things like Marquee, Title Tool, and Avid FX feel truly 1980's. Not sure how other MC users feel about this but for a company that can balance it's books so well (at least it's cash-flow) you'd think they'd have the resources to develop MC a little more rapidly. I guess MC isn't their top priority.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 26, 2014 at 4:22:18 pm

[Ben Mullins] "but for a company that can balance it's books so well (at least it's cash-flow) you'd think they'd have the resources to develop MC a little more rapidly. I guess MC isn't their top priority."

Started a new thread because there seems to be some new issue on cash flow and income (not good) being reported. I consider that a separate issue worth discussing.

Return to posts index

Bradley Jones
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:13:08 pm

This is not good for Avid, getting delisted may cause a tidal wave of investors to suddenly want their money back and Avid may not be able to pay all their debts. If that happens, they would have to declare bankruptcy. Not all companies that are delisted fail, but a large portion do. The one sure thing is that Avid will no longer be able to raise large amounts of capital without the stock market and ergo not be able to invest in software development. This is not a good thing, loosing access to large amounts of investment capital never is no matter how you spin it.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:44:53 pm

[Bradley Jones] "Avid may not be able to pay all their debts. If that happens, they would have to declare bankruptcy. "

Avid has virtually no debt so they're in an unusual situation. I keep thinking they're going to use this to find an angel to give them badly needed R&D money as well as an investor who can provide management skills.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Forbes: Avid Delisting A Potential Shot To The Heart Of The Music Business
on Feb 27, 2014 at 10:57:31 pm

Forbes: Avid Delisting A Potential Shot To The Heart Of The Music Business

http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyowsinski/2014/02/27/major-changes-around-t...

Ironically, Avid is today being traded Over The Counter and has had it’s best showing in years. That could be just bargain hunters looking for a deal, and they could be very well be gone tomorrow, but then again it could very well mean a new birth of sorts.

My own hunch is that some are sensing they're in the hunt for capital.

And

A company like this has no business being public in the first place as it’s growth will be capped by the market size sooner or later. A public company is more beholden to its stockholders than its customers, especially when things go bad, which is a bad recipe when it comes to the entertainment industry.

Since they're not in a position to take themselves private, I think the delisting might be the next best opportunity for them to regain control if someone gives them the financial shot in the arm.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Avid Delays Financial Reporting, But Promises Brighter Future, Including Pro Tools and Sibelius
on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:00:08 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Feb 27, 2014 at 11:00:47 pm

Avid Delays Financial Reporting, But Promises Brighter Future, Including Pro Tools and Sibelius

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/02/avid-delays-financial-reporting-promi...

Another interesting evaluation from the music side of things.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]