FORUMS: list search recent posts

New tube / no tube….

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Sefton
New tube / no tube….
on Feb 18, 2014 at 3:43:33 pm

After asking a couple of retailers, I seem to have found that there have been only a handful of mac pros in the whole of the UK shipped with dual D700s, and only a few with D500s.

Our orders still say shipping Feb, but I can see that slipping now - has anyone else around the UK received a base spec model?

Getting slightly nervous after purchasing thunderbolt storage, transferring projects and only having retina macbook pros to work with, that we might end up well behind on work due to late shipments...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: New tube / no tube….
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:52:42 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:53:08 pm

B&H in NYC, was regularly getting in the two stock models, rarely out of stock for more than a couple of days. Suddenly that stopped and now everything is showing March.

It is a bit disappointing that Apple can't seem to come close to meeting demand.

I was considering the stock 6 core D500 but wanted 512GB SSD instead of 256GB. A simple change like that sets things back weeks. That's a serious parts shortage.

Given what happened with last year's iMac release, there seems to be a need for a serious reexamination of Apple's supply chain management.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:31:48 pm

Really. This is like a parody of "build on demand" wherein the normally hubristic Apple somehow anticipates NO demand, builds a couple dozen units and then sits on their hands to see how demand will shake out.

I can hear the plant manager: "Okay, prototype team, pack it up. People are actually buying the Tube, so no more one-offs. We're tooling up to make ... HUNDREDS of these things!" :)

Doug D

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:38:39 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "Really. This is like a parody of "build on demand" wherein the normally hubristic Apple somehow anticipates NO demand, builds a couple dozen units and then sits on their hands to see how demand will shake out.

I can hear the plant manager: "Okay, prototype team, pack it up. People are actually buying the Tube, so no more one-offs. We're tooling up to make ... HUNDREDS of these things!" :)
"

Isn't the tube assembled in the USA? If this is a new departure for Apple there could be all sorts of issues in the supply chain.

I know of a couple of people in the UK who have got their BTO Tubes and there are a few stock config versions available at some retailers.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:30:03 pm

My 8-core, otherwise maxed out, machine; ordered December 26th, is still showing February shipping here in Canada.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:04:24 pm

On december 19th I've ordered a 6 core D700, 32GB RAM, 256GB SSD...

It immediately said "shipping in February". (I was able to order it in the early morning when shipping was still january if my wife didn't take my credit card with here to the store that morning!!)

Interestingly though I've received 2 emails from apple about my status:
january 30th & february 17th

Both were standard emails giving a status update where was said the mac pro was still going to be shipped in february. I hope those emails are a sign that the pro is actually being assembled and shipping soon... iMac is driving me nuts!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:09:23 pm

I haven't heard of anyone who's initial ship date said "February" begging changed. Hopefully they were super-conservate with their ship estimates.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:19:57 pm

yeah well the end of February is coming. I figured I would perhaps receive my mp early February(as I've ordered the day it got released) but we're already at 2/3 of the month.
Strangely I've heard of someone in the UK getting the mp in january while he had ordered his unit more than a week later than i did and he had a maxed out 8 core.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:22:26 pm

It may come down to an uneven distribution of units globally, depending on how they're handling global orders.

I'm betting this is a backlog of CPUs from Intel.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:24:02 pm

as long as it's shipping in february! :-)

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:29:48 pm

I seriously can't see us getting ours anytime in February. With only 10 days left, even if the dispatch date comes before the end of this week, it still needs to ship to us from Dallas. Seems that US orders will ship first, then Canada and Europe.

It's not a concern for apple but we are going to be losing money if they don't arrive before the first week of March. Disappointed.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:31:28 pm

I guess we have to learn to read apples words carefully:

"shipping"(!!!) in february... As long as it goes out the door of the factory before 23:59 on february 28th they've kept their word...

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 18, 2014 at 11:43:24 pm

Over at the FCP.co forums. At least one person has had their order status go from "Processing Order" to "Preparing for Shipment" to "Shipped" within 24 hrs.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 20, 2014 at 3:53:40 pm

And B&H in the USA is now showing 4 to 6 weeks including the two stock models. Six weeks would certainly be April.

Does Apple have a very serious supply chain issue? This ranges from ongoing to worsening.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:07:07 pm

I was understanding that all shipping delays were hitting new orders (maybe hopefully) - meaning that anyone ordering now would be waiting until at least April. However, I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be surprising that apple maintains radio silence whilst they have supply issues, before telling everyone on the 28th of Feb that their MP is shipping in March/April/May etc.

It's surprising that apple didn't estimate some form of high demand for the device that they described in October/November and start stockpiling them so that anyone ordering within 2 weeks would receive their machine inside the next fortnight….

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:13:07 pm

What "gets me" is that B&H seemed to be getting the stock models in constantly until the beginning of February. Then as days progressed the delivery timed continued (continues) to lengthen.
I can't help but think something is up given B&H went from "In Stock" for some time to lengthening delivery. Either demand is escalating or they have a supply chain issue (or both).

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:36:45 pm

It's a similar situation with Jigsaw24 in the UK. They have sporadic availability for the stock model with D300 graphics card, but haven't seen a single one with a D700 and have seen few of the D500s. If you ring up to order one now, they haven't got any stock, nor any information as to when it will be arriving. Apple is keeping everyone in the dark - most likely their own employees too...

I really wish we had purchased through apple business, or bought through an intermediary. Buying as an apple personal customer seems to offer much worse customer service, although I doubt many people who have ordered for business are being given much more info.

Something is wrong with the supply chain - either with the CPU, GPU or with apple's build. It's hard to believe that a firm as large as apple haven't learnt from the iMac issues they experienced and stockpiled hardware to meet (potential) high demand.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 20, 2014 at 5:57:41 pm

I hope this delay scenario isn't going to unfold. I'd rather have them tell me now then tell me on the 28th of february! But as I've said before, I've had 2 emails in which they told me they're still expecting the tube to be delivered as planned(in february). They would look kind of stupid if that would suddenly slip to end of march or april-may.

Then again, they're really into this secrecy thing so we can expect anything. Maybe an announcement op april 1st? that would be hilarious :-/

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:27:44 pm

I really think a shortage of components from Intel, as it seem very difficult to get Xeon E5v2 processors in any way, shape or form; not just in a MacPro.

And as to capacity. I'm not sure there is a solution.

If you set up to build to peak demand right after launch, then all that extra manufacturing capacity is wasted over the rest of the life of the product.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 25, 2014 at 2:23:18 am

For what it's worth, it looks like Apple's estimates will prove true for me. The order status on my 8-core, D700 machine changed to "Preparing for Shipment" today.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:17:34 pm

So far as I know, the April ship date is ONLY on new orders placed after a certain date.

A client of mine who who's order went in on December 24th has just shipped, so I'm expecting my order from the 26th to ship early next week.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Feb 22, 2014 at 7:01:02 pm
Last Edited By Chris Harlan on Feb 22, 2014 at 7:02:57 pm

FWIW--I went with a new Macbook Pro this time around because it seems that I will be doing a lot more writing/producing this year and I want the extra mobility. That said, I'm still doing broadcast/studio editorial on it a couple of days a week. It seems much faster than my 8 Core and plugs into two very effective TBolt docking stations I've put together with 2560 Monitors. It does all my Avid work at full res without blinking and Pr just seems to love it. I wouldn't worry too much about using them for editorial if push comes to shove.

Maybe if you are all about 4K that's something else. Right now, that's not an issue for me even a little.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Feb 24, 2014 at 11:39:03 pm

I think I'm also going Macbook for the mac side of things. Far too many unanswered tube questions for me at this point.

Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]