FORUMS: list search recent posts

Deal-Breaking FCPX Issues. Is My Info Inaccurate?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lillian Young
Deal-Breaking FCPX Issues. Is My Info Inaccurate?
on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:12:38 am
Last Edited By Lillian Young on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:18:15 am

I am a FCP 7 user (since 2006), and switched to X (10.0.9) in late December, 2013. I watched several courses by reputable instructors, not random YouTube quickies. I committed myself to FCPX, and started some important projects on it.

But you really learn as you go -- when in the trenches. Over the weeks, I learned a few things that have made me want to give up on FCPX. If I am wrong, please correct me. But this is what I believe to be the case as I share this.

1. In FCP 7, I would lock my audio track and edit videos on other tracks. In this Storyline environment of X, I read that using a gap clip on the main track is the workaround.

2. If the clips are on top of a Gap clip, then to do simple things like add transitions, I have to create Storylines.

3. The audio drops or peeks randomly on playback but renders fine. Playing it again sometimes resolves the issue -- sometimes not.

4. You cannot simply select in and out points from the storyline. You have to create a Compound Clip and then select a Range? Seriously?!

5. I can't just grab a clip like a video clip and move or delete it without the audio (detached but attached via stem) being effected. So I have to use the tilda key to move a clip independently while making sure the previously stem-attached clip is connected to something (like a Gap Clip) to avoid magnetic slipping...headache just describing this.

6. To get the latest version with major updates, I'd have to upgrade my OS. As a pro with multiple third party plugins and apps, there's no way I'd upgrade my OS on an early release. Neither do most businesses.

7. I experienced a MAJOR scare when FCPX didn't recognize my external drive containing my project. On FCP 7, you just open the FCP file. FCPX is trying to be so 'cool; with its no-saving, auto-open features that it scares me that when something goes wrong, what should be a simple recovery becomes very complicated. In my case, disconnecting then re-connecting my drive solved the issue, but not before a heart attack.

I know that no NLE is problem-free. And I sincerely wanted to love FCPX because there are a ton of super cool features and plugins. I even told my team at work that it was my software choice. Now I can't do that because who wants to deal with workarounds for simple tasks?

At this point, I am looking to go to Premiere or Avid for the above noted reasons. But again, I have only used it for a short while. I kind of still want to be convinced that my information is inaccurate, so if I am wrong on any points, please let me know.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Deal-Breaking FCPX Issues. Is My Info Inaccurate?
on Feb 14, 2014 at 1:54:05 am

Seems you're not using current version of FCPX which is 10.1.1 or you haven't gone through tutorials yet.

[Lillian Young] "1. In FCP 7, I would lock my audio track and edit videos on other tracks. In this Storyline environment of X, I read that using a gap clip on the main track is the workaround. "

Tilda key or modifier plus tilda allows you to move primary storyline clips and the connected clips and secondary story line clips stay in place. There are no tracks.

[Lillian Young] "2. If the clips are on top of a Gap clip, then to do simple things like add transitions, I have to create Storylines."

There's a keystroke that does this assuming you mean a transition between two connected clips.

[Lillian Young] "4. You cannot simply select in and out points from the storyline. You have to create a Compound Clip and then select a Range? Seriously?! "

Sure you can. This has been possible for a while. A year or so at least. Again it sounds like you're not using a current version of FCPX.

[Lillian Young] "5. I can't just grab a clip like a video clip and move or delete it without the audio (detached but attached via stem) being effected. So I have to use the tilda key to move a clip independently while making sure the previously stem-attached clip is connected to something (like a Gap Clip) to avoid magnetic slipping...headache just describing this. "

Tilda key. You don't have to describe it. It just works. One key. You can delete and replace with gap clip easily too.

[Lillian Young] "6. To get the latest version with major updates, I'd have to upgrade my OS. As a pro with multiple third party plugins and apps, there's no way I'd upgrade my OS on an early release. Neither do most businesses. "

Apple may tie features and improvements to the OS. Unlike other NLE makers they also make the OS. Actually with any NLE there's the choice between staying with the OS or not. As a long time Avid user I was often hit with not being able to use other "latest" versions of programs because Avid hadn't certified an OS update.

I've used Avid for more than 10 years. I've used FCP "legacy" for more than 10 years. I see FCPX as just another variation which kills the other two for some jobs… and there would be workflows where Avid would kill anything else.

Personally I find patching tracks a major drag. I find it structurally awkward to use tracks for layering and use them for organizing. The result of which involves adding tracks, avoiding patching things to wrong tracks, lots of empty tracks when tracks are needed at one point and not another.

FCPX involves new thinking and new muscle memory but for most repetitive functions (but not all) it seems to be fewer key strokes. I like not having to do complex lassos for moves and I like not having to deal collision avoidance.

You may want to go through Ripple Training tutorials.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:04:04 pm

I've gone through several tutorials including Ripple, Lynda, etc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:28:10 pm

[Lillian Young] "I've gone through several tutorials including Ripple, Lynda, etc."

But baed on your comments and all responses here, with a diversity of workflow methods, it seems you din't understand some aspects or, at least, don't understand how to reason through when to use what. There's certainly been a number of critiques in areas where FCPX requires more work than other NLEs but your comments don't fit that for the most part. Sorry if that offends.

To put it another way. Even if one knows what every button and command does, one has to know how to "think like X" and know when each will get to where you want to go easiest and fastest. It seems your missing when to use what in certain situations.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:10:24 pm
Last Edited By Lillian Young on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:11:00 pm

You're not offending me. You are responding respectfully and being kind enough to give me your time here.

I will review the responses here, revisit some of the tutorials from Ripple Training and give X another try.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:42:15 pm

Lillian,

If I might, I'd like to insert a note into the discussion.

One truth about X is that it requires each editor that comes to it to change. Not in minor ways, but in pretty major ones. Many of us here have written about having to "un-learn" years of conditioned thinking about what it means to edit video. I don't want to overstate this, because like any other NLE, in X you still have to do the actual editing with your brain - a human being deciding where to cut and why will never change. But the toolset in X and how it interrelates to the three primary parts of editing workflows - preparation - assembly operations - and media export - have all been shifted into a new model. And understanding that model takes more time than many editors expect.

X may or may not work for you. But it will be a larger struggle the more you push back against any perceived "loss" of your prior expertise. That's going to happen. In in return you're going to build NEW expertise that may have more resonance in the new file-based world of the future. At least that's how many of us who've made the journey feel.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:29:23 pm

Thanks, Bill :)

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:40:39 pm

I just thought of something, Craig. A lot of the tutorials I have watched are dated by year or version.

That may explain why I am aloof on some features despite all of the tutorials I've watched.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 14, 2014 at 7:00:51 pm

[Lillian Young] "I just thought of something, Craig. A lot of the tutorials I have watched are dated by year or version.

That may explain why I am aloof on some features despite all of the tutorials I've watched.
"

Apple's been very aggressive with feature updates. Rippled is very good at coming out with updated tutorials. 10.1 requires a new tutorial purchase.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:36:43 pm

Regarding transitions, in 10.1 you can apply a transition to the edit point where two connected clips touch and X will go ahead and put them in a secondary and apply the transition. Seems like it used to just do nothing or give an error.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:39:19 pm

That's good to know. I may play around with 10.1 on my laptop.

Yeah, in 10.0.9, you have to select the clips and create a Storyline to secondary clips to create a transition.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:51:02 pm

[Lillian Young] "in 10.0.9, you have to select the clips and create a Storyline to secondary clips to create a transition."

You may not have 10.0.9 because FCPX will absolutely create a secondary storyline for you if you simply select the edge of a connected clip and hit CMD+T (add default transition).

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 7:10:07 pm

I have FCP X 10.0.9 open right now. I learned the prior way from an older tutorial, so thanks for the correction.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:00:21 am

you're not wrong - I personally think the timeline itself is utterly ridiculous, but it has many practitioners and everyone is polite about it at this point.

go to premiere: all else aside, its where the wind is blowing.

FCPX is a total mess of apple's best practise thinking about the OS and application structure. Including saving. It's basically irretrievable.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:30:12 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "you're not wrong - I personally think the timeline itself is utterly ridiculous, but it has many practitioners and everyone is polite about it at this point."

Many of us FCPX-FCP7 editors, and in my case also Avid, prefer the magnetic timeline because it actually is faster than a classical one, especially when doing fast turnaround projects. And the 60 min experimental I edited almost two years a go was so much nicer to deal with than similar previous projects on FCP 6 and 7. And I still make more money on Avid and FCP7...

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:38:10 am

[Nikolas Bäurle] "Many of us FCPX-FCP7 editors, and in my case also Avid, prefer the magnetic timeline because it actually is faster than a classical one"

In fairness, that's very subjective. I find it faster at the front end and then slower as the project gets more complex, simply because the magnetism requires its own workarounds. But YMMV.

[Nikolas Bäurle] "especially when doing fast turnaround projects"

That's really X's sweet spot.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:10:14 pm

[Nikolas Bäurle] "especially when doing fast turnaround projects"

"fast turnaround projects" is a loaded term. Really, are there any projects that you can complete slowly (besides the screenplay I never seem to finish)?

Sure there are particular workflows more suited to a particular deliverable, but I'm unconvinced the term "fast turnaround projects" is the best way to describe it. They are all get it down fast and now.

For me, FCPX is best for projects where there are a lot of footage with sync sound, and where there is very little mograph.

For me, CS6 is best for :30s with lots of mograph, and a VO/music bed audio.

Moreover, when the client sends a bunch of CMYK graphic design and I have to unpack it into AE, then the NLE does not matter at all, and Premiere is a hub for aggregating assets from AE and Audition.

If everything, for me, was cutting, X wins hands down over Premiere. (I haven't touched Avid since 2004, except for a trial version in 2010, and it was not for me at that time.) But it isn't cutting only, for me, I need the full range of stuff. Turn around town is always, ASAP!

Currently, as the need crops up, I xml FCP7 into CS6, and it's so far flawless.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 15, 2014 at 9:01:21 pm

To me Fast turnaraound ist the stuff that needs to get done really quickly, and sometimes footage needs to be cut in at the last moment, even half an hour before going online. This would be te case for Start-News Magazines. A four minute piece needs to be done in 4 - 5 hours, then another hour for sound.

When I do commercials I get at least 8 hours to cut a one minute clip. And for higher end TV a 15 min piece takes about 5 days, sometime more so times less depending on the complexity.

Of course everything needs to get done quickly, but there still are differences between certain types of projects and clients.

Personally I prefer using FCPX for all the types of formats I've done sofar, wether its feature documentary or experiemental, musicvideos or short commercials, whatever. It has made everything I do work faster and smoother.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:07:32 am

Responses (I'm on 10.1.1):

1. You cannot lock tracks (no tracks in X). Using a gap clip on the main storyline allows you to freely move connected clips around with less impact of the "magnetism". It's not a solution to the locked issue, merely a different way of working.

2. You can add fades, but transitions between clips require a storyline or a secondary storyline.

3. Haven't seen that. It's not normal behavior. But, as you can see from my audio thread below, X does have some random issues.

4. Incorrect.

5. Not completely correct. There is both delete and ripple delete (depending on which key you use). Different behavior. Also different depending on which clips (audio, video or both) are selected. Tilde also changes behavior and something you do have to change where the connection point is located first.

6. 10.1 requires Mavericks (10.9). If you want to stick with Apple, you have to get on the treadmill. Just the way it is.

7. This behavior has completely changed with 10.1, which is why you should upgrade the OS if you want to stick with FCP X.

Premiere Pro and Media Composer are both great. No reason to use X if you don't want to.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:10:58 am
Last Edited By Andy Neil on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:14:37 am

EDIT: I guess I'm the slowest typist here. I'll leave my somewhat redundant info here though in case it's clearer by describing it differently.

The majority of your issues come from attempting to make FCPX work like FCP7 or Avid, or another track based NLE. If you try to approach problem solving from the result backwards using FCPXs strengths, then you'll (eventually) have more luck working with it. If, on the other hand, you simply can't fathom working without tracks or track-based paradigms, then X is probably not for you.

I'll try to address your issues one by one:

[Lillian Young] "1. In FCP 7, I would lock my audio track and edit videos on other tracks. In this Storyline environment of X, I read that using a gap clip on the main track is the workaround. "

There are numerous ways to handle a scenario like this. They include combining audio into compound clips or secondary storylines (depending on the situation), placing the audio in the primary or using the gap clip as you mentioned. The best workflow will depend on the specifics of the project. If you're doing a music video for example, you can put the music in a secondary storyline where there's only one connection point to worry about and edit to your heart's delight, the video in your primary. You don't need to worry about "locking" tracks because trimming in the primary won't affect a connected clip.

[Lillian Young] "2. If the clips are on top of a Gap clip, then to do simple things like add transitions, I have to create Storylines."

This is correct. But you can simply apply the transition to a connected clip and FCPX will create the storyline for you. This works even between two adjacent connected clips.

[Lillian Young] "3. The audio drops or peeks randomly on playback but renders fine."

I don't have this problem. Perhaps you have a corrupt user or bad install.

[Lillian Young] "4. You cannot simply select in and out points from the storyline. You have to create a Compound Clip and then select a Range? Seriously?! "

No. Not seriously. I'm not even sure what you're having a problem with, but you can mark INs/OUTs, jump to those INs/OUTs and everything else you're used to doing in a typical NLE. If you're referring to secondary storylines, just use the range tool and you can select with I and O there as well.

[Lillian Young] "5. I can't just grab a clip like a video clip and move or delete it without the audio (detached but attached via stem) being effected."

This is not that hard. Detach audio from video. Select video. Hit shift+delete to delete the clip and replace with a gap. Also, you could simply select the clip. Hit matchframe (shift+f). Swap to audio only edit (shift+3) and replace (shift+r). If you want to move the clip, hold tilde and lift clip to replace the video with gap, or swap clips to keep audio in temporal place but change which clip is connected to it.

[Lillian Young] "6. To get the latest version with major updates, I'd have to upgrade my OS. As a pro with multiple third party plugins and apps, there's no way I'd upgrade my OS on an early release."

This is true. It can be a headache if you're not ready to upgrade so tread carefully here. What I did was to create a Mavericks partition where I could load FCPX and test my other plugins and programs. See what breaks and what doesn't. Still, to be safer, you can wait for a couple OSX and FCPX updates before upgrading. Changing with the tech is the nature of the world these days.

[Lillian Young] "7. I experienced a MAJOR scare when FCPX didn't recognize my external drive containing my project. On FCP 7, you just open the FCP file."

Sure you did, except when the FCP project file was corrupt and wouldn't open. Then you had to hope that one of the autosaves would open, or that you had it set to autosave enough that you didn't lose much work. This is a non-issue. There isn't an NLE on the planet that won't scare you from time to time and X is better than some. I've force quit in the middle of transcoding, transferring and had crashes after finishing edits or after hours of tagging and organizing. And when I brought it back up, I lost NOTHING. It's recovery system is actually really good and has been solid for a few versions now.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. In the end, only you can determine whether or not FCPX is going to work for you.

Andy

http://www.timesavertutorials.com

Return to posts index

Howard Duy Vu
on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:26:43 am

None of the things you listed should be deal breakers, since things just work differently sometimes in FCPX. Don't worry, I've finished many many projects on X now, and there's nothing you can't do in it that you can do in the other NLEs. As you say, they all have their quirks.

If you mean just use an empty gap at the front of the project and attach a piece of audio to it so that you can use the primary for cutting, well that's just how it's supposed to work. I will do this for a music video for example, where you just attach the music track at the top, and then just cut using the primary/secondaries/attached/whatever you want. The music is attached at the top, so it will never move whatever you do down the line. Some people just like using one large gap clip and then just attaching clips or storylines on top of it which is also fine.

If you add a transition to a connected clip, it will turn it into a storyline. But it will do it automatically, so it doesn't slow you down or anything. What's the problem here? You can have a storyline with just one clip in it that just dissolves at the head, for example. A storyline is just a container for clips really. Why do you think this is a dealbreaker?

[Lillian Young] "3. The audio drops or peeks randomly on playback but renders fine. Playing it again sometimes resolves the issue -- sometimes not. "

Are you talking about the audio meter? Hm, i haven't seen this behavior. One thing you should make sure of is to have audio with standard samples rates like 44.1 or 48 kHz. Perhaps this is more to do with your I/O card and its drivers, not sure what you're using.

No, you can use the range tool to select an in to out in a storyline. You don't have to make it a compound clip at all. In the primary storyline, you can always select in and out or use the range tool. It's true that FCPX has more focus on the primary, but secondaries are pretty easy to use.

[Lillian Young] "5. I can't just grab a clip like a video clip and move or delete it without the audio (detached but attached via stem) being effected. So I have to use the tilda key to move a clip independently while making sure the previously stem-attached clip is connected to something (like a Gap Clip) to avoid magnetic slipping...headache just describing this"

You can press "delete" (the other delete which is fn-delete on laptops) to delete the clip without deleting its attached audio. Holding tilde is not that hard, and audio is ALWAYS attached to something. It doesn't magnetically slip anywhere, it stays in the exact place it's connected to in the primary.

[Lillian Young] "6. To get the latest version with major updates, I'd have to upgrade my OS. As a pro with multiple third party plugins and apps, there's no way I'd upgrade my OS on an early release. Neither do most businesses."

Well I can't say anything about this other than that the latest version uses a lot of optimizations from Mavericks to get performance improvements, so it wasn't really avoidable. That said, Mavericks is pretty stable right now and is not really an early release anymore. I remember working on Avid systems on Jaguar (!) while Tiger had been out for a while, so it goes both ways.

[Lillian Young] "7. I experienced a MAJOR scare when FCPX didn't recognize my external drive containing my project. On FCP 7, you just open the FCP file. FCPX is trying to be so 'cool; with its no-saving, auto-open features that it scares me that when something goes wrong, what should be a simple recovery becomes very complicated. In my case, disconnecting then re-connecting my drive solved the issue, but not before a heart attack. "

You can be sure that you're looking at things through rose-colored nostalgia. What about the crashes when FCP7 project files got too large? Sweating when you think the project file has been corrupted... or large still images causing crashes? FCP7 weird audio glitches galore. I loved that program, but it had its share of problems. Avid can only add on things, making it more and more complex over the years, since it will make a lot of people angry if they change anything substantially.

Anyway, I say stick with it for a few more projects with decent deadlines, and you'll see it's pretty good.

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:18:37 am
Last Edited By Nikolas Bäurle on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:24:34 am

[Lillian Young] "7. I experienced a MAJOR scare when FCPX didn't recognize my external drive containing my project. On FCP 7, you just open the FCP file. FCPX is trying to be so 'cool; with its no-saving, auto-open features that it scares me that when something goes wrong, what should be a simple recovery becomes very complicated. In my case, disconnecting then re-connecting my drive solved the issue, but not before a heart attack."

You can have the exact same issue with FCP7. I work on 7 in a shared environment and have to deal with regular crashes, corrupt project and offline Autosaves a lot. And the moment that footage is moved, and sometimes the assistant doesn't pay attention, has the flu, can't be reached and nobody knows where he moved everything? I had a wonderful time dealing with a hysterical client in December (one hour before presentation) because nobody could find the drive where the footage had been backed up in, and the guy who knew was not available...

X is better in managing media and gives you more options. I really like the fact that you can have footage and projects in a library. So everything stays in one package, moving to another drive and connecting to another mac is just a little faster.

The other issues you point are things that you will get used to over time. When I stared out using FCP 10.0.0 I wondered why I had to use a storyline, or compound something, or why the heck is this clip moving up or down into a gap. At first it really did feel like X had to be wrangled into place. But pretty quickly I realised that storylines can be very practical when you need to move b-roll around. Working with clip connections and magnetism in my experience is faster than having to make sure you have everything you need highlighted on a complex timeline before moving stuff around, making sure you don't delete something when moving or adding clips, and patching your tracks to the right track... Roles are so much nicer.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:42:04 am

[Lillian Young] "3. The audio drops or peeks randomly on playback but renders fine. Playing it again sometimes resolves the issue -- sometimes not. "

This was a major problem in earlier versions of X. Steve Martin and I discussed it last year at the SuperMeet.

For no apparent reason, playback would occasionally blare (peak). I'd hit the space bar to stop... move the playhead... hit the space bar and it would playback perfectly. Drove me crazy!

It was repeatable on far too regular of a basis. I showed it to at least half a dozen people.

The good news is... I haven't seen it recently with the new version... so NO, you're not crazy. Upgrade and get past it...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

tony west
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:51:28 am

[Lillian Young] " but not before a heart attack."

hahaha this line made me smile : )

I have to say though, I have had X crash many times on me and when I bring it back up it's all there to the last edit. I have to give it to them on that.

I have not used PrP, but have worked in Photoshop for hours and had it crash and lost all my work.

Grrrrrrr

I had a rough transition with the whole Mavericks deal to 10.1 and was on here complaining loudly abut it, but things seem to have settle for me.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 14, 2014 at 12:13:31 pm

The Ripple Training advice is a good one. Get it and get into it. Got me to working with FCPX how it was designed, not trying to make it work like FCP7, PP or MC.

I think organization is a key thing too, as in any NLE timeline.

Since FCP7 is dead, your choices, outside of X, are (basically) down to MC (slow and old, with ancient effect and titling modules, just to name two) and Premiere, which still hasn't convinced me it's for real and seems to always be on a verge of a crash (I am working with CS6, to be fair). There is no perfect answer. Most of us use a combination of them all. Good luck!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Feb 14, 2014 at 2:24:00 pm

FWIW, I found it took about 6 months before I felt I was approaching the speed and comfort of Legacy. In the ensuing year or so, I believe I've gone well beyond the maximum "productivity" of Legacy, as pertains to my workflow needs. As others have pointed out many times here, there are those whose workflows are not conducive to X. Perhaps as X evolves, it will cover those needs as well. Perhaps not. Use the tool that fits best.

But I feel what's most important in trying to switch to X is to work with it on a regular basis for an extended period to come to your own decision. As you have done, it is critical for experienced editors to watch basic X tutorials. Both of these factors are needed as X has opted to break with many established editing "traditions". Use the Cow's amazing resources to get past those brick walls you're pounding your head against.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-FCP-Premiere-3D-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:32:30 pm

What kind of projects are you working on?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:07:33 pm

Me? Short-form packages, sizzle reels, narratives here and there.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:51:11 pm

[Lillian Young] "Me? Short-form packages, sizzle reels, narratives here and there."

I would suggest to hang in there with X. These are perfect for the software.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:15:43 pm

Slight disagreement, here. For me, I use quite a bit of AE in a sizzle reel. I'm not sure the best workflow (currently) for X into AE; it'd be nice if there was a dynamic link between X and AE.

The power of X, for me, is how the audio is embedded into the video. For sizzles this is basically unimportant since the audio is almost always a music track. There would be no need to play track tetris, which is for me the main thing X fixed.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:37:16 pm

Yes, I have used AE professionally for 6 years and love 3D and animation. Editing...let's say, FCPX adds excitement back into it. That's why I want it to work for me.

I think my best solution is to cut a project in Premiere Pro CC, then Avid and I'll know. I will have tried all three popular alternatives.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 14, 2014 at 9:24:25 pm

[Richard Herd] "it'd be nice if there was a dynamic link between X and AE. "

Clip exporter still works great.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 14, 2014 at 10:57:52 pm

[Richard Herd] "I'm not sure the best workflow (currently) for X into AE"

FCPXML -> Xto7 -> Save XML -> Ae -> File-Import-Pro Import After Effects

It's not Dynamic Link, but I use it often with great success.

Return to posts index

Howard Duy Vu
on Feb 15, 2014 at 1:19:25 am

[Richard Herd] "Slight disagreement, here. For me, I use quite a bit of AE in a sizzle reel. I'm not sure the best workflow (currently) for X into AE; it'd be nice if there was a dynamic link between X and AE. "

IMO dynamic linking is overrated. It may be good for simple things, but often you will want to keep track of multiple revisions, and it's just much easier to keep rendering into a folder. Also, you'll have to render ALL THE TIME when you bump out new versions. What about when you go to another house for color grading? You'll have to render them out anyway.

Another thing people don't realize is it can be bad when you archive a project. What if years down the line you need to open up the project, but the newest version of AE does something weird to those old comps (not to mention updated plugins)? If it's already rendered, you'll have them.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Feb 18, 2014 at 6:53:36 pm

[Howard Duy Vu] "IMO dynamic linking is overrated. It may be good for simple things, but often you will want to keep track of multiple revisions, and it's just much easier to keep rendering into a folder. Also, you'll have to render ALL THE TIME when you bump out new versions. What about when you go to another house for color grading? You'll have to render them out anyway.

Another thing people don't realize is it can be bad when you archive a project. What if years down the line you need to open up the project, but the newest version of AE does something weird to those old comps (not to mention updated plugins)? If it's already rendered, you'll have them."

First, when you, Howard, write "you" referring to me, I'm not sure what you, Howard, are talking about.

I don't have any of the issues you, Howard, mentioned:

-- keeping track of multiple versions
-- rendering all the time bumping out new versions
-- going elsewhere for color grading
-- archiving
-- years down the road
-- old comps in new AE.

Again: I, Richard, have had no problem with any of these things.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
Thanks Everyone
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:50:00 pm

Thanks to everyone for your responses, corrections, solutions, opinions and suggestions. *whew* That's a lot :)

I want to point out that I work at a company, so just 'getting with the program' and upgrading my OS isn't something that suits us company-wide. It has to be a selective decision that takes time. I remain disappointed that Apple released a major update that can only be used on a new OS.

For the record, I have a laptop that I have installed 10.1 on as it's my backup computer. I haven't used that version yet.

Also, I have watched hours of tutorials from Lynda.com, Ripple Training, Class On Demand, Infinite Skills and Larry Jordan.

I am not one of those who jumps into something haphazardly and then complains that it doesn't work. I have given FCPX dedicated time over the last 2 months and even told my boss that FCPX is the best for the team. I think I did so prematurely and/or I am not yet skilled enough to have made that suggestion since I do not confidently have solutions to the issues I've listed here nor extended experience with X.

I want to love FCPX. I have already picked up the shortcuts and am gaining speed. I love live previews of the effects and the magnitude of options. No other editing package excites me as much. BUT, I do not know of anyone else in my workflow/company using it.

Time will tell, but I do greatly appreciate all of your responses. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Thanks Everyone
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:09:27 pm

[Lillian Young] " I remain disappointed that Apple released a major update that can only be used on a new OS. "

This is certainly an interesting point to discuss. Given that Apple makes both the NLE and the OS and is primarily a hardware company, their business motive is to move you to new hardware. The OS went from inexpensive to free to completely remove the financial aspect of OS updates (from Apple's perspective) for a facility.

As someone who used Avid for 10 years I can say one was equally hamstrung when they were slow to certify OS updates as other developers took advantage of new features or even just improved stability.

Generally, but with some notable exceptions, Apple developers know Apple's push to OS updates and they're fairly quick to move their products up.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
on Feb 14, 2014 at 5:21:19 pm

Having used Avid for 10 years, I am interested in your view of X comparatively.

Have you switched to X as a primary tool?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 14, 2014 at 6:05:42 pm

X is my primary but there are areas that Apple (including legacy) hasn't been able to touch Avid.
Avid has great trim tools.

I understand Apple has always been pushing timeline trimming but sans a good trim window (and the FCP legacy trim window wasn't as good as Avid's) there has to be a good large view Two Up. Currently that only happens with the mouse (ugh!). I want a big two up with keyboard trimming and I want to see the number of frames trimmed on both sides.

The other is Dynamic trimming. Looping a section and being able to trim video and/or attached audio as it loops… and see a two up at the same time of course.

Of course Avid wins on collaborative workflow but, as time goes on, I think Apple (and Adobe) may catch up there. My hunch is this is where Lightworks (with EditShare) may be focusing. I haven't used Lightworks but it might end up being my "track based" alternative if I were to need that.

So far, the only downside I have with trackless is that Roles really needs more improvements. While I was never a fan of the need to change track patches and the "track Tetris" need to shift things up (or down), I'd really do think targeting while one edits can help in some workflow rather than having to pre assign (or post assign after the edit). I'd like to be able to target "John VO" or "Jane VO" or "room tone" while editing with a keystroke.

Return to posts index

Lillian Young
Timeline
on Feb 19, 2014 at 8:10:09 pm

Okay, all. I have learned that some of the things I initially stated were accurate. The 'timeline,' for example. You can click a clip from the event browser and select Open In Timeline. Hence, the term isn't fully eliminated.

I can go on but thanks to this forum, I have decided to give X another chance. I still feel that there are a bunch of workarounds for things that should be more straightforward, so convincing a team to use this may be challenging.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]