FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1 tests on 2010 & 2013 MacPros

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
FCPX 10.1 tests on 2010 & 2013 MacPros
on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:15:03 am

http://barefeats.com/tube05.html

Interesting how close the two base model MacPro Tubes are to models with D700. You can also guess where clock speed might be more important than cores. :Looks like MacPro Tower 6 core with two 7970s is reasonable. One could almost "get by" with 4 core D300 with only FCPX WaterPane test dropping back a bit.

Return to posts index

Helmut Kobler
Re: FCPX 10.1 tests on 2010 & 2013 MacPros
on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:19:06 am

That report made me feel validated in buying the stock 6 core with D500s instead of a custom rig with D700s.

Hope upcoming tests do the same thing!

-------------------
Los Angeles Cameraman
Canon C300 (x2), Zeiss CP.2 lenses, P2 Varicam, etc.
http://www.lacameraman.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 13, 2014 at 1:04:50 pm

It's actually quite surprising that these numbers are all relatively close. Kind of takes the magic out of the nMP for me.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 13, 2014 at 4:31:05 pm

My gut feeling with the new MacPro is not to buy too far over what you really need now and the near future.

Given the GPU situation my hunch is that one might be buying a new box in two or three years at the outside rather than stretching these as a main box as some have done with the towers.

I'm also likely to get the 6 core D500 knowing that in a couple of years where HEVC and other demanding codecs come into common use, a new box with new GPUs that handle codec specific acceleration may be out. Also there may another round of Thunderbolt improvements as pushing higher data rates become more common.

A path example might be the difference in how the Towers improved between 2006 and 2009.

Just some personal speculative reasoning.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 13, 2014 at 6:53:05 pm

I'm with you. Render speeds are only marginally faster than the nearly 4 year old tower? I guess I was expecting a two-fold or four fold increase. Certainly saw numbers like that when I jumped from a MacPro 1,1 to the iMac 2011 and 2012.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Feb 13, 2014 at 7:43:18 pm

I saw Red Dragon 6K footage playing back at full debayer on a maxed out 12 Core nMP for several minutes without dropping a frame on the beta of Red Cine X This is with no red rocket card. If Red incorporates those GPU accelerated drivers into FCP X, Resolve, and AE that would be a big deal.

Their two minute 1080p video is a prores file correct? When I render out a few minute project shot on red from the proxies, it takes no time at all to export to an h.264. This is with BG render turned off as it has to render all the color corrections and effects.

That same project rendering with the Red files, I may as well get my grocery shopping done. Until Neat Video and the Red drivers are updated to take advantage of the dual GPUs, it's really hard to judge performance.

It's good to know that the legacy mac pros still do quite well with a pair of newer GPUs.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 13, 2014 at 11:10:27 pm

[Darren Roark] "It's good to know that the legacy mac pros still do quite well with a pair of newer GPUs."

On renders. I wonder how much better realtime performance is on the new Macs. I wonder why no one seems to try to quantify this. How many Gaussian Blur filters before it starts dropping frames.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 13, 2014 at 11:18:30 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I wonder why no one seems to try to quantify this"

I think Steve and Mark have shown this on one of their recent Mac Break Studio videos. I suspect with native FCP X filters (not Motion templates), it will hold up quite well. With third party filters, it probably won't.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 14, 2014 at 3:46:53 am

Seems to back up the prevailing theory that the 8-core with the 700's is the sweet spot...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]