FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to Drop Zones work in 10.1? (reposted from FCP X Techniques)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Ubsdell
How to Drop Zones work in 10.1? (reposted from FCP X Techniques)
on Feb 7, 2014 at 9:14:27 pm

Apologies for reposting this from the Techniques forum but I know that a lot of very knowledgeable people here don't necessarily frequent the other place.

A slightly loaded question but I'm hoping someone here can give a definitive answer.

In the early days of FCP X I made quite a few Motion templates that relied on Drop Zones but after a while I had to give up because the implementation seemed to change with almost every release. What would work in one version wouldn't work in another and vice versa.

Unfortunately Apple didn't document much of what was happening and the latest release notes on the subject (which relate to 10.0.8) don't go into a great deal of detail:

"Drop zones no longer reset to the first frame of video after application restart"

So my questions are as follows:

Are you now having 100% reliable results with Drop Zones?

And if so, what kinds of actions are supported and which aren't?

And, more generally, are you now confident that Apple have bedded down the procedure for the foreseeable future?

Any input would be very much appreciated. I'd be really grateful to know if there is now a definitive answer but it would also be really helpful to know what the user perception of this feature is at present, so if you are confused it would be great to know that as well.

Many thanks.

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: How to Drop Zones work in 10.1? (reposted from FCP X Techniques)
on Feb 9, 2014 at 10:51:34 pm

What I've done hasn't been 100% reliable. I did on template where I had four drop-zones for video. Sometimes the video would be frozen throughout the clip. Sometimes it would be frozen for the first few seconds then start up at some point mid-clip. I could never figure out the cause of it. Sometimes replacing the clip in the DropZone would fix it, but sometimes not. For this particular project I just went with it and called it good enough once I got it playing through most of the clip. But it didn't fill me with a lot of optimism for using multiple video dropzones in the future.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2014 at 2:54:58 pm

If you don't back time it, one often ends up without enough clip, and motion by default just freezes the last frame and extends the clip to fit.

WHERE you click on the source clip will be the IN point that matches up with the in point of the drop zone. And unfortunately the in point if a drop zone could be hidden from view for a long period. Just keep clicking farther back in the source. But I the end, if the source is shorter than the drop zone, you'll likely see a freeze.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:16:59 pm

The clips were all long enough and I thought I was selecting a range, not a specific point. So you're saying I have to click the right frame in the source clip, not just select the range?

What's weird is that the clips started frozen and then started moving at some point, not the opposite where it freezes at the end.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:19:50 pm

Hi Bret and Brett

I am having "good" results if I edit my drop zone clip into the timeline above (or below) where I want it to go and selecting from there.

That might be easier overall than trying to do it from the Browser.

But it's entirely likely that I'm wrong yet again.

The only thing I have learned in this life is not to rely on Drop Zones behaving consistently.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:20:58 pm

Yup. Frozen at beginning is interesting. Are you choosing from the sequence or from the event? My testing has been with the event. Wherever you click lines up with the in point of the drop zone.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:53:18 pm
Last Edited By Brett Sherman on Feb 11, 2014 at 2:55:00 pm

My workflow is that I put a clip above the Motion Template in the timeline. Get it to the right length. Then I make a compound clip out of it. Then I navigate to the compound clip in the event and select that as the drop-zone clip. I don't know if it has something to do with compound clips or not. And I was not being careful about where I clicked thinking it would take the whole clip.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:20:39 pm

[Brett Sherman] "My workflow is that I put a clip above the Motion Template in the timeline. Get it to the right length. Then I make a compound clip out of it. Then I navigate to the compound clip in the event and select that as the drop-zone clip."

Do you find that the method I suggested doesn't work?

I find that I can "put a clip above {or below} the Motion Template in the timeline. Get it to the right length" and then all I have to do is select the clip from the timeline.

I can then just hide the clip so it's ready to hand if I want to make a quick adjustment. Or if I prefer I can delete the clip - and the selection stays.

Or are you saying that you have had issues with this? Which I can well believe.

I'd have thought it's a bit easier than your compound clip route - although there have been times in the past where compounding was the only safe option.

Simon Ubsdell

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]