FORUMS: list search recent posts

Article testing MacPro tube with Resolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
Article testing MacPro tube with Resolve
on Feb 7, 2014 at 2:29:45 pm

RedShark News article testing a 6 core, D500, 64gig Tube with Resolve. Tests include adding nodes of blur for real time playback as well as rendering speeds using various codecs and frame sizes.

http://www.redsharknews.com/technology/item/1450-testing-resolve-on-the-new...

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Article testing MacPro tube with Resolve
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:32:49 pm

Relevant takeaway from the article:

"Just a cautionary note: if you're offended by the sight of models in underwear, turn away now."

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:47:14 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Relevant takeaway from the article:"

When I'm not totally disagreeing with you, you do make me laugh.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:56:26 pm

I wasn't going to read the article as I don't use resolve (yet) but your comment made me change my mind :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2014 at 4:59:10 pm

In all seriousness, this little Mac seems to pack quite a little performance punch.

I am looking forward to getting them in house.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 7, 2014 at 5:03:35 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "In all seriousness, this little Mac seems to pack quite a little performance punch."

Yes, I was very impressed that this test was conducted with the 6 Core twin 500D GPU model. Would love to know what kind of difference the 700s would have with the Red footage.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:02:02 pm

Was there a computer in this video?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:12:35 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Would love to know what kind of difference the 700s would have with the Red footage."

Me too.

I also think we have to be realistic. Debayer/Decode/Scale 6k RAW footage is going to take some power.

If a Thunderbolted RedRocketX card helps with that, how bad can it be?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:25:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I also think we have to be realistic. Debayer/Decode/Scale 6k RAW footage is going to take some power.If a Thunderbolted RedRocketX card helps with that, how bad can it be?"

My curiosity about the 700s was to get an idea of it's comparative power. I don't have any need for Dragon footage now or in my near future and I agree that if your have that need, getting a RedRocket card is not to much to expect.

For my needs I was thinking about ordering the exact model that was tested, 6 core 500D, and I'm just trying to figure out what I would really be giving up by not going for the 700s. A friend once told me that the 3 most expensive words in the English language were "might as well" and I'm trying not to might-as-well myself into more than I really need.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Feb 7, 2014 at 7:26:41 pm

"A friend once told me that the 3 most expensive words in the English language were "might as well" and I'm trying not to might-as-well myself into more than I really need."

amen to that!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 7, 2014 at 8:18:20 pm

[Herb Sevush] "For my needs I was thinking about ordering the exact model that was tested, 6 core 500D, and I'm just trying to figure out what I would really be giving up by not going for the 700s. A friend once told me that the 3 most expensive words in the English language were "might as well" and I'm trying not to might-as-well myself into more than I really need."

I see.

Well, if that video is any clue, it looks to be a damn fine machine. I don't remember the last time I needed 18 nodes of blur to play in real time, but maybe I will now that I can!

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Feb 8, 2014 at 2:19:09 am

[Herb Sevush] "Yes, I was very impressed that this test was conducted with the 6 Core twin 500D GPU model. Would love to know what kind of difference the 700s would have with the Red footage."

Not much right now. Red doesn't support GPU-accellerated decoding in their SDK yet, so it's not available to third-party apps like Resolve. It's pretty awkward to work with 5K Epic material (let alone 6K Dragon footage) in Resolve right now without a Rocket — you'll drop below real-time at anything more than quarter res, even with a 12c/D700 machine.

4K raw F55 footage, on the other hand, plays back like butter on a 12c/D700 system, with a full-res high-quality decode, which is a nice illustration of what's possible. It's kind of nuts that these sort of workflow problems continue to plague Red after all these years.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 8, 2014 at 2:21:05 am

[Chris Kenny] "4K raw F55 footage, on the other hand, plays back like butter on a 12c/D700 system,"

What about an 8 core D700? :)

I am so f8cking confused on which machine to get.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]