FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to backup FCPX application to DVD?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sonny Malone
How to backup FCPX application to DVD?
on Jun 27, 2011 at 10:58:37 am

I actually have two questions:

1.) How do I make a backup DVD copy of my FCPX application I just paid $300 for? When I go by the directions on Apple's website. it only saves my iPad apps.

2.) If I am unable to backup to DVD, will I always be able to download it from the APP store using my Apple ID? I periodically do a clean instal of the OS and I'm worried about losing my $300 purchase.

Thanks,
Sonny

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
Re: How to backup FCPX application to DVD?
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:04:25 pm

1) I think you can just drag and drop it to a DVD. Anything else there will be reinstalled in its first startup.
2) Yes, you should be able to download it from the APP store (to, as I understand it) on 5 different CPUs.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Sonny Malone
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:22:20 pm

Jeff,

You said to "just drag it and drop it into the DVD". Do you mean just drag and drop "Final Cut Pro" from within the applications folder to the DVD? If so, how to you reinstall? Simply drag the "Final Cut Pro" from the DVD to the applications folder to the "clean install" computer? That's it? I'm an old Windows guy and it wasn't that easy.

Thanks,
Sonny

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 27, 2011 at 12:47:28 pm

Hi
This recent thread says you should make an Archive of it first:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/5136

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 27, 2011 at 2:59:29 pm

It's probably safest to right click and create archive - then it's a zip file. Almost all OSX apps (nowadays) aren't a single element but a 'package' which is the advantage of zipping it up.

To reinstall - drag the zip back, decompress. Launch. As long as your app store account matches the version, you should be good to go.

--------
Generally, OSX is simpler (and getting easier) than Windows for install/uninstall.

Right now, most apps are just 'drag and drop' to install or 'drag and trash' to uninstall. They may leave behind preferences and/or application support (found in the Library of your computer.) Apps like AppZap and AppCleaner do a decent job of removing these remnants.

Most of the Pro video (Apple, Adobe, Avid) require sophisticated installers/uninstaller.

FCPx seems to install anything missing.

Starting in Lion will be a more intelligent uninstall.

---------

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]