FORUMS: list search recent posts

No audio in on new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
No audio in on new Mac Pro
on Feb 3, 2014 at 1:09:27 pm

It seems obviously now, but easily missed. The new Mac Pro has no built-in audio inputs. This is affecting Avid as Media Composer wants to see audio input drivers to launch. They are currently working on a fix, but this issue may affect other applications.

Seems like a stupid oversight on Apple's part because you can't even plug in a cheap mic or headset for Skype calls.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: No audio in on new Mac Pro
on Feb 3, 2014 at 1:38:10 pm

The specs say there is headset support:

Combined optical digital audio output/analog line out minijack
Headphone minijack with headset support
HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
Built-in speaker

anickt

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 3, 2014 at 1:44:55 pm

I suppose that one would need to use an external audio USB input device with the new MacPro such as the M-Audio unit I use with my iMac to get audio into Logic Pro X.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 3, 2014 at 2:01:02 pm

Built in audio support is OUTPUT only. So yes, a third party device (USB) would be required. Or a more advanced TB2 IO device, like an AJA IoXT.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:21:28 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Built in audio support is OUTPUT only."

How is a headset output only?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 3, 2014 at 5:55:26 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "How is a headset output only?"

I don't know if it supports mic-in audio from a headset that has a mic or not. This is what the Apple tech specs are:

Combined optical digital audio output/analog line out minijack
Headphone minijack with headset support
HDMI port supports multichannel audio output
Built-in speaker

It would seem open to interpretation until confirmed one-way or the other. In any case, MC software doesn't appear to detect any suitable audio drivers without the presence of a 3rd party device.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Avid-L2/conversations/messages/115852

Not sure what would happen if you plug in a mini-jack-equipped mic and tried to record using Garageband or a VO in FCP X, for example. Maybe someone who's taken delivery of one could run a test to see. It would be curious to find out.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:04:56 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I don't know if it supports mic-in audio from a headset that has a mic or not"

I just plugged my iPhone headset into mine. Works fine.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:07:23 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:07:57 pm

I have a Belkin TBolt dock and it shows audio input (and there's an audio in port, as well).

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:53:58 pm

A TB dock would be a 3rd party device. Regarding the iPhone headset, were you able to record? So presumably, if you had one of these plugged in, possibly MC would launch, too.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 7:47:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "A TB dock would be a 3rd party device. "

Ah, but any good Avid professional has a third party device. Am I right?

;)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:05:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Ah, but any good Avid professional has a third party device. Am I right?"

No, you would be wrong.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:10:48 pm

What!?!?!?

I thought all of us FCPX shlubs were the only unprofessional third party dependents in the business...!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 3, 2014 at 11:13:35 pm

Not every edit station needs external monitoring or tape capture/output. There are tons of systems without IO, because they are simply used for editing. But these tend to be in production houses with multiple edit stations. There's always 1-2 systems with IO in that case, for input and output.

When you have 50 edit stations, all those Nitris or Mojo boxes can add up...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 11:17:44 pm

It was a joke bothers and sisters. I love you all.

I was simply poking fun at the situation for the sake of the Debate forum.

I'm sure Avid might need to update something and then it will work perfectly. There have been other Macs that don't have a dedicated audio input and output.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 3, 2014 at 11:45:19 pm

Where's your smiley? :)

If you joke, you need a smiley! :)

I knew you were joking...still...you need a smiley!!

=8^)

or if you are serious...a serious face...

0_0

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:08:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have a Belkin TBolt dock and it shows audio input (and there's an audio in port, as well)."

Jeremy, I've ordered one of these. Any issues with that docks firewire port?

Hot-plugability, bus-power, interfacing with old DV decks,...?

Thanks, James

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:24:48 pm

[James Culbertson] "Jeremy, I've ordered one of these. Any issues with that docks firewire port?

Hot-plugability, bus-power, interfacing with old DV decks,...?"

I have not tried old DV decks, but on everything else, so far so good. I really like it and it is nice to be able to route all of the necessary cabling to a location of my choosing.

The power brick for it is H-U-G-E, so prepare yourself for that.

Also, the USB3 ports are capped at 2.5Gbps, so if you have some sort of USB3 multi drive raid, your disk speeds might be a little slower than the USB3 bus of 5Gbps. I haven't noticed as I use USB3 for shuttle drives and this is just as fast as connecting the drives directly to the computer.

All bus powered drives that I have plugged in have worked along with hot swapping, the SAN maxes out at 109MB/sec over the ethernet (which is basically saturating the ethernet bus). I am very pleased with it.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:51:49 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I have not tried old DV decks, but on everything else, so far so good. I really like it and it is nice to be able to route all of the necessary cabling to a location of my choosing.

The power brick for it is H-U-G-E, so prepare yourself for that."

I've got a nice collection of power bricks so no big deal there.

Otherwise, good to hear.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 3, 2014 at 8:58:23 pm

[James Culbertson] "Otherwise, good to hear."

Yes. I went back and forth for a while as I wasn't sure which one to get (there's four or five on the market now).

For me, FW800 was a big reason to get one, as well as the form and function of the design.

I will probably buy some more once we get more TBolt computers.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:31:51 pm

Haven’t these combo jacks been standard in all new macbooks and imacs for over 2 years?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: No audio in? Sure there is....
on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:15:45 am
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Feb 4, 2014 at 2:16:22 am

FWIW... From a Tube...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:15:01 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Frome on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:19:41 pm

iphone mics have a different configuration than a stand mic input that we're used to seeing on every other computer. If you look at an iphone headset, you'll notice 2 stereo notches on the plug (just like any other stereo headset), plus a third notch: that's the mic input.

So... the mac pro has no standard line-in at all? Only input from the "3rd notch" Apple mic?

You should plug an iphone headset into the mac pro... I bet Avid might start up then..as it might 'see' an input. Oh...this is too funny.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:25:22 pm

This is the info regarding Avid MC from Marianna Montague:

"Hey folks...

Dave Pimm reported that our first Mac Pro finally arrived at Avid last week and the testing has begun.

They get a "failed to initialize audio" error on launch of the application - 7.0.3. Apparently the app is looking for one audio input. This new MAC Pro does not have any.

Until the editing software is modified and released (no clue yet when that will be yet), you will need to connect a USB or thunderbolt audio input device.

Dave connected the latest gen MBox and downloaded the driver. An Apple Thunderbolt monitor will also work (as that has a microphone input).

More to follow when I get scoop from the guys in testing.

Marianna "

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:51:25 pm

[Daniel Frome] "So... the mac pro has no standard line-in at all? Only input from the "3rd notch" Apple mic?"

The mic input on the mac pro, like that on any mac, should accept a standard mini input in the same way that a 1/4" TRS input will work with a standard 1/4" plug. It seems to me that's the same as any previous mac pro right?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:58:18 pm

[Charlie Austin] "The mic input on the mac pro, like that on any mac, should accept a standard mini input in the same way that a 1/4" TRS input will work with a standard 1/4" plug. It seems to me that's the same as any previous mac pro right?"

All new Macs, save the Mac mini, have this port. Older macs (and Mac mini) have a separate mic input.

I think the difference is that the MacPro doesn't have an internal microphone(?), and for that Avid is balking.

Otherwise, either someone would have posted this error a long time ago, or Avid users across the world haven't bought a new iMac or retinaMBP in quite a while.

O_o

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:03:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "All new Macs, save the Mac mini, have this port. Older macs (and Mac mini) have a separate mic input."

Makes sense, MC ran fine on my new-ish MB Air

[Jeremy Garchow] "I think the difference is that the MacPro doesn't have an internal microphone(?), and for that Avid is balking. "

Guess that's it. That is funny, though perhaps not in the way some here think...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:06:00 pm

[Charlie Austin] "That is funny, though perhaps not in the way some here think..."

Funny that a modern NLE can't boot without an audio input!

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:15:05 pm

Funny that in order to be professional, you have to use the internal mic!

Shane, I'm kidding! :-D

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:48:08 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Funny that in order to be professional, you have to use the internal mic!"

HA! But it is funny how the programming is written that way...won't launch unless it see's a MIC IN port. Explains why it didn't run on my friends HACK...intosh.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 4, 2014 at 5:59:30 pm

[Shane Ross] "But it is funny how the programming is written that way...won't launch unless it see's a MIC IN port."

Actually that's not the problem. It's looking for the presence of certain audio drivers that would be there with an active audio input. Doesn't matter if it's a line-in or a third party product.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:03:13 pm

[Charlie Austin] " It seems to me that's the same as any previous mac pro right?"

Actually it doesn't. Other macs have a dedicated line-in jack, and another audio-out jack. The new Mac Pro, on the other hand, only has two output jacks:

1) "Combined optical/digital audio output/analog line out minijack"
2) "Headphone minijack with headset support"

Not sure why they had to do it this way, but it does indeed equate to no inputs, unless you count the "with headset support."

I'm still curious if Avid starts up fine if you simply have an iphone headset plugged in. It very well might.

Return to posts index

Cameron Warn
on Feb 6, 2014 at 3:33:05 am

Yep. AVID does indeed boot up if you connect a headset with mic, but does not need to be an iphone headset as an old sony one worked for me.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:15:13 am

Apparently installing Soundflower also works.

http://cycling74.com/soundflower-landing-page/

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 5, 2014 at 2:44:19 pm

At first blush it does seem a bit odd on something that can run as much as $9k+. Stepping back it's clear that Apple has adopted the "universal port" thought process. Pretty much everything is relegated to either TB2 or USB. While it might have been more convenient, given the spate of really good XLR-USB adapters out there (we probably all own one) it really isn't an issue.

To me the surprising part is no built in Mic. If I'm a self-absorbed Facebook using narcissist, how am I supposed to subject the world to my constant stream of unimportant thoughts?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Feb 5, 2014 at 3:25:36 pm

[Mitch Ives] "While it might have been more convenient, given the spate of really good XLR-USB adapters out there (we probably all own one) it really isn't an issue."

Agreed. How many of the kind of folks who buy expensive mac pros even use a built-in mic anymore. I have a Matrox and M-Audio box and have not used my mic in perhaps 5 or more years. I assume their research reflects this.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:18:39 pm

Desktops don't usually have a built in mic. The mic should be built into your monitor. You did buy the $1000 Cinema don't you? :)

But even my cheap $200 22" Dell has a mic/camera built in.

The old G4 with Digital Audio didn't have a mic jack either. That's why I still have a griffin imic sitting in my junk drawer. I think the same went for the G4 Mirrored Drive doors.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:22:01 pm

Still using the 30"...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:54:12 pm

[Bret Williams] "Desktops don't usually have a built in mic."

I think the big difference here is that the combination audio input jack does not show an input until you plug something in to it.

This has changed from other inputs as they are always listed as available, such as the dedicated inputs on older MacPros.

The reason that Avid doesn't seem to balk on other machines with similar inputs, is that they have a built in desktop mic that is available to the system at all times.

Since the new MacPro doesn't have this mic option available, it balks.

But I reserve the right to be wrong....whilst fighting for my right to party.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]