FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do you back up your internal hard drive and your external media hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
How do you back up your internal hard drive and your external media hard drive?
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:45:28 am

Hi!

I have a 250 GB ssd and a 1TB external drive, and i want to make a back up, the easisest way.

I will not fill the discs, and I have another 1 TB disc for back up.

As I understand time machine will save me for setting up my preferences. reloading my apps etc, when buying a new mac, and that is really tempting.

My external drive will store photos and videos that are used in Aperture and Final cut pro X.

So, if my ssd dies, can I just restore that particular disc, and everything will be fine form there?

and vice versa, if my external drive dies?

by the way, I will do manually back ups, and I usually loose track after a while, and that`s why time machine appealing.

Is time machine the best way for me?

S

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
Re: How do you back up your internal hard drive and your external media hard drive?
on Jan 30, 2014 at 7:49:20 am

I just use carbon clone copier. I back my internal raid to an external drive and my boot drive to a small external, both via CCC.

Whenever i tried time machine I had problems. I also think it was quite limited for me in terms of what I could do (the usual Apple knows best, but doesn't really).

I am still using the free CCC but there is also a paid one (small amount) which is better for the later OSX, though the free one still does the job on a daily basis.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Re: How do you back up your internal hard drive and your external media hard drive?
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:00:35 am

Time Machine will take care of that for you. It will consider an attached drive (usb, FW or whatever) as part of your system and back it up together with the system drive, unless you want to exclude on or more of the drives from the System Preferences=>Time Machine. What TM won't do is different backup sets. I use TM for my system drive and projects folders, while I prefer to sync my internal and media units onto other external drives or arrays for both space and safety reasons. I recently had to restore a system drive from a TM backup, and everything went fine.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 30, 2014 at 8:56:33 am

Ok, thanx.

If I stick with tm, will I be able to boot from it, if I have to restore only my internal drive, or do I have to restore both internal and external when setting it up like this?

And vice versa, can I only restore external? Will the paths be the same? Fcpx will open my libraries like a dream?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jan 30, 2014 at 12:39:40 pm

Time Machine will not give you a bootable volume as a backup, only a volume you can restore from. If you want a bootable backup, that is Carbon Copy Cloner. If you find Time Machine is too aggressive during work hours and is robbing your workstation of I/O when you need it most, here are some ways to control when Time Machine is active. I like to keep an offsite backup as well, and BackBlaze gives you unlimited space for any given Mac's backup on their servers for a very reasonable price.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 30, 2014 at 1:52:07 pm

Ok, I have a 1 tb drive for back up, a 250 internal ssd and a 1 tb media drive. Should I make a 2 partition back up disc, one for internal and one for external? And then do the clone back up?

I want to use time machine, but I'm nervous that I can't just restore the ssd, if (when) my machine crashes. Do I have control of this in tm.

I just want to make the best and easiest back up with the disc I've got. And, of course, it should also be easy when trouble arrives.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jan 30, 2014 at 2:17:19 pm

Time Machine is included with OS X, and is very easy to use. CCC is a paid app ($40), and is also relatively easy to use but is also necessarily more complex to set up than TM. There is a lot of documentation at Bombich's site you should read if you go that route. If you want to be able to boot from your local backup, use CCC. If you only want a safety net for boot drive failures, TM will work, but restoring consists of booting from an OS X installer partition (or DVD if we're talking about Snow Leopard) and telling the installer to include a restoration from your Time Machine volume. TM has the added benefit of being a granular searchable backlog of your data that can save you from accidental saves or deletes of individual files.

You can also use both CCC and TM together by partitioning your external drive to have a 260 GB partition to be a target for CCC, and the rest partitioned for use by TM. You'll only want to have CCC run overnight, and if you do use both on the same physical drive be sure to set TM not to run when CCC will be running.

The simplest, nearly zero configuration backup is just Time Machine. It isn't a bootable backup, but it is a backup you can fully revoker with in the event of a hardware failure on your boot drive. If all the above fiddling sounds like a rathole, just use Time Machine.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 30, 2014 at 6:43:17 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "Ok, I have a 1 tb drive for back up, a 250 internal ssd and a 1 tb media drive"

Great. That works for the 250GB SSD. Time Machine backups are incremental and grow quickly over time, especially if you start placing large files or lots of files on your SSD. IF you drop a 10gig file on your desktop, or download something large, it might get backed up if you don't get rid of it quickly. It's good to have a Time Machine drive be 2-4 times the size of your actual drive it's backing up if possible.

Now for your 1TB drive, you should probably just get another 1TB drive and use something (CCC?) to keep the two in sync. Or you could mirror them. Put two 1TB drives in an enclosure as a mirrored raid. No backup software needed. You always have two real time copies. Each drive can work independently if the other dies. Not too bad when you're talking about bare 1TB drives that are $100 or less. I use a NewerTech guardian enclosure myself with two 3TB drives mirrored. I actually backup completed projects and other important stuff to that drive. I don't worry about my system drive too much. I can literally rebuild it in a matter of hours. With the App store and all my Adobe stuff being internet based, I can be up and running in a matter of hours if there was a problem. And email and bookmarks and so much of what seems important, is already in the cloud. But time machine is nice when you need it. I just haven't been using it lately. I keep everything on the mirrored drive or on a RAID 5. Only Apps and temporary stuff on my internal system drive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]