FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question to those considering the new Macpro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Gothmann
Question to those considering the new Macpro
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:33:43 pm

Just curious how people feel here on the cow:
if Apple had released the new Macpro alongside another model, the “legacy” Macpro. Tower form factor, TB2 & USB3 ports but also internal drive expansion capabilities, dual CPU option, 6 PCIe slots, choice of single or dual GPUs including Nvidia option… which one would you consider buying and why?

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Question to those considering the new Macpro
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:21:14 pm

I'd consider both, but for different reasons.

I like the 2013 Mac Pro Tube for its portability -- it'd make a good travel system -- but the lack of dual CPU is disappointing for an everyday workstation. I'm due for a new workstation this year and I expect I'll be sticking with HP.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:47:18 pm
Last Edited By Alan Okey on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:51:51 pm

That's easy - I would definitely take the tower. For me, the combination of dual CPUs, my investment in PCI cards, superior internal storage capacity and easily upgradable GPUs easily trump a small form factor and lower power consumption. I really don't care about Thunderbolt.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:00:36 pm

[Alan Okey] "That's easy - I would definitely take the tower. For me, the combination of dual CPUs, my investment in PCI cards, superior internal storage capacity and easily upgradable GPUs easily trump a small form factor and lower power consumption. I really don't care about Thunderbolt."

What he said.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:32:35 pm

Me too - though I do like Thunderbolt and wish there was a PCI card for my "old" Mac Pro.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:53:05 pm

Depends on the cost. If the tower with PCIe slots and twin processors ended up adding $4000 to the price, I'd definitely go with the tube.

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Jan 30, 2014 at 3:43:05 am

Some things to think about... a PCB card to support two CPUs is much more complicated than a single CPU and is therefore more expensive. If we are moving in the direction where more and more software can take advantage of GPUs for general purpose work, perhaps we won't need as much CPU anyway.

Of course, living in the here-and-now, you need a machine that takes advantage of the software that's available. Completely understandable.

Personally, I'll probably buy a new MacPro system. I currently have a single processor 2008 MacPro. It's been good, but even with a nVidia GTX660Ti video card and a Highpoint RAID, Resolve is a pig to work with. It's time.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:54:35 pm

I'd go for the tower even if I had to pay something more for that. The reason is I could keep using my PCIe cards like my Sonnet e-sata for my many e-sata arrays and drives (that are still faster than USB3's in real world, at least than the ones I tried so- far, I can't se why e-sata has been dropped), and I could set an internal three or four drives RAID 0 for media, fast, quiet and cheap, that I could easily sync or backup on a cheap e-sata or USB3 external array (I already own, by the way). I am keeping my old 3.1 tower that I refreshed a bit for one more year, if the 2013 was the tower you describe, I'd already bought one because I wouldn't need to also buy an external TB raid, plus e-sata or PCIe cards adapters, provided the HDMI port on the new MP allows RT output on an HD monitor like a Blackmagic Intensity Pro or whatever, so that another RT output device would not be needed. I have a MBP for portability, my main machine is supposed to stay on my desktop. I'd maybe buy that machine even if it came with no Thunderbolt ports. Am I calling for a faster horse instead of a car? :-)

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:07:04 pm

I'd definitely take the new ones. We have a small shop, 16 seats, and I manage the hardware. I'm sick of the towers around and we don't use any fancy pci cards. My only concern is how to hook it up to our xsan and keep it neat but the thunderbolt to fibre adapters we have seem like they won't be too messy.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:39:13 am

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] "provided the HDMI port on the new MP allows RT output on an HD monitor like a Blackmagic Intensity Pro or whatever, so that another RT output device would not be needed."

It does, in perfect sync with your NLE of choice. No lag at all. It's very nice...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:46:06 am

[Charlie Austin] "It does, in perfect sync with your NLE of choice. No lag at all. It's very nice...
"

Is it baseband video, critical viewing quality or extended desktop preview quality, Charlie?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:08:02 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Is it baseband video, critical viewing quality or extended desktop preview quality, Charlie?"

I haven't had too much time to mess with it, as it's not my machine ;-(
Damn GF X dept and their fancy gear!

Anyway, it was running in extended desktop mode to an HD projector. I think they had it doing baseband too, though not certain. If I get some time and can push them off the machine, I'll experiment a bit more. Hopefully someone else can chime in...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Ernie Nathaniel
on Jan 29, 2014 at 5:17:41 am

An excellent question, but I would go with the tower. Although I don't often comment on this forum, I find the conversations very interesting and thoughtful.

A new tower would probably come in at a lesser cost than the tube, have multiple CPUs, internal storage capability, choice of graphics processors one could utilize, and I have a PCIe investment that leaves no slots empty. More PCIe slots would be nice too, and PCIe 3.0. If Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 were there, then it would at least be on par with the rest of the line. One could still be able to utilize other connectivity cards such as miniSAS directly from the PCIe bus instead of through Thunderbolt adapters, giving better and more stable throughput.

Just my thoughts. Not that the 2013 MacPro is not beautiful, it is, but a tower would be the one for me as it would be the best business decision. It depends on what one is doing with their machines. But a new tower would help to utilize existing hardware and make the transition to external thunderbolt chassis and storage less painful.

and Frank… I've got to read the fine print more carefully on the iTunes contract … not that the limitations are that onerous.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:57:22 am

I've got my last MacPro sitting forlornly in a corner of my office. It's already redundant. In fact I wonder why I'm giving it house room, backup?, sentimentality?, for another workstation if we ever expanded?

I've already moved forward into Apples next phase through buying a souped up 27" iMac this time last year. I've got the eSata and thunderbolt peripherals already
but for some reason I'm holding off on the new MacPro. I suppose I'm waiting for a definitive iMac vs MacPro comparison and it's not as if the performance of my current iMac is that shabby.

But the old MacPro has already been given a place in Apples design Museum and in a year or so will look as preposterous as the multi coloured set of original iMacs.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 29, 2014 at 8:08:15 am

I'm a one man shop who works with FCPX and Motion 5 and DVD Studio 4. I shoot on DSLRs and do everything myself. I'd go for the new Mac Pro, but then again I may be the target market, which is great for me as the machine and software are designed together. Sympathies to others where the new Mac falls short.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:29:24 pm

I'd definitely go with the new enclosure- the nature of my business is that projects and storage is very modular, a lot of separate client drives. So the legacy MacPro's internal storage would be largely wasted on me.

And all my peripherals (BlackMagic I/O) are Thunderbolt anyway, so I have no stock of PCIe cards I need to worry about replacing.

Return to posts index

Gustavo Bermudas
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:09:46 pm

I'll go with the tower, I need to upgrade my 2009 Mac Pro, and I'm thinking I'll go for a 2010/12 12 core, I think that tower has lots of leg still, specially when considering that the NMP's power is in the graphic cards, and those cards are actually cheaper when bought as pci-e cards, they are listed as AMD R9 280x, so they can be installed in a legacy Mac Pro as well, although for the moment I'll stay with NVidia.

I think for the future I'll go NMP if I have no other choice, but I'll definitely start moving to HP with a Z820, I'll aim for Linux for most pro apps, and Mac for everyday tasks, which in that case I'll probably go iMac instead of NMP.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jan 29, 2014 at 10:57:22 pm

Plus, if you put in a PCI SSD drive in a MacPro Tower you have a rocket fast system drive. Put SSDs in both my old MacBook Pros and they became like new again....much faster app launches, saving files etc.

I agree that a legacy tower with 2 Thunderboldt 2 ports and four USB3 ports with the same 4-port PCI config would be ideal as a transition from our older 2008's.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]