FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Wilson
OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?
on Jan 27, 2014 at 6:59:31 am

NLE and other technical stuff aside, how's your 2014 shaping up? How are you feeling about it?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: OT-ish: Sooooo....how's business?
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:17:28 am

VERY busy. If it's as solid as last year, I'll be working solid with only a few weeks off. I'm at a production company that stays busy, always has shows in the wings that pick up right after another finishes...but most often overlaps. Just two weeks ago I kept bouncing between a historical reality show, and historical doc series.

And a few side gigs as well...onlining a show here and there. Eating it up while I can.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:37:50 pm

2014 looks promising.

We are a small company and already we have a full order book to take us right into the Summer. That is a relief because the last 6 months have been difficult. I know that with the recent FCPX upgrade the work should go a lot more smoothly than last year and ten times more smoothly than the year before that when FCPX was really sticky and awkward to use.

There are 2 of us working full time in the business, a producer and camera/editor (me!) and being in good health is really important, last Autumn I broke my ankle out walking and suddenly we were in the situation of having to hire in camera operators and an editor and that was really not good for the cash flow or profitability of the business. 4 months on and I'm back to normal although still going to the hospital for physiotherapy once a week.

In more general terms I often wonder how healthy a job this is. Out filming is pretty good, some days you get lots of exercise carrying gear and walking a lot, other days are more static. But editing is basically sitting at a desk for long periods of time, so taking a break to go for a walk or ride on the bike is pretty important.

An aspect of this business that has changed dramatically over the last ten years is the social interaction side of it. I figure that a lot of people now work the way I do. That means one person fulfilling the roles previously carried out by a bunch of people. I now operate a camera, produce graphics and edit video through to final delivery. Working like this is the new norm and ultimately pretty antisocial which is why forums like this are important to get a feel for what other people are getting up to and here of new developments. It's also good to get out to trade shows and talk to people.

So that's a good new year resolution, go to more shows and trade events and participate in more forums.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:05:45 pm

[Tim Wilson] " how's your 2014 shaping up? How are you feeling about it?"

same as it ever was, same as it ever was ...

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 27, 2014 at 2:37:57 pm

Interesting post for the FCP-X The Debate forum ! Talk about OT.

My answer - very busy January, but I do not have a great long term outlook for 2014 - no promise of "big jobs coming up". The business continues to change - the complete demise of "the facility" and the complete integration of production and post production into the production company, or ad agency itself. Translation - the client is buying their own stuff, and doing it in house. Cheaper than ever, and easier to find "kids" to do it - more than ever before.

The reality that great equipment is cheaper than ever is upon us, and those that feel that their "great talent" will separate them from "the pack" is only going to apply to hi end clients, that can appreciate that value. Just my opinion. One thing for sure (except for the elite feature market) - today, you have to know EVERYTHING to be able to have value to a company. The days of "Im just an editor, I don't do - audio - graphics - encoding - streaming - delivery - etc." are over.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jan 27, 2014 at 3:16:33 pm

[Bob Zelin] "One thing for sure (except for the elite feature market) - today, you have to know EVERYTHING to be able to have value to a company. The days of "Im just an editor, I don't do - audio - graphics - encoding - streaming - delivery - etc." are over."

And not just in the editing world. I have a still photographer friend who was complaining that he had to learn video because his clients (lots of wedding stuff) are now expecting it.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:47:30 pm

So far so good. I'm working on some doc/unscripted projects that I started late last year and I have a few possible irons in the fire but like Bob I don't have a big project looming so I'll have to keep up with the grind.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:50:17 pm

Are you editing now Andrew? I hope so...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:58:02 pm

[Shane Ross] "Are you editing now Andrew? I hope so..."

Yes, been cutting since November (doc web series plus a feature doc on the side). Last year it was probably a 60/40 split between editing and AEing this year I'm of course aiming for 100% editing. Just hard to make 'the jump' into consistent, well paying editing gigs. Just gonna keep choppin' wood until I'll get there.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 27, 2014 at 5:57:01 pm
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:08:25 pm

One thing for sure (except for the elite feature market) - today, you have to know EVERYTHING to be able to have value to a company. The days of "Im just an editor, I don't do - audio - graphics - encoding - streaming - delivery - etc." are over.

Couldn't agree more. I'm fortunate that I'm hooked up with a small agency where the owner/creative director is also a DP/Designer. His strengths are my weaknesses and my strengths are his weaknesses. So things are rolling right along. His letter of introduction to me opened with the line, "Hoping you can tell me that I never have to edit again." Yeah, it's a good fit.

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:03:59 pm

Hopefully'14 will be better than'13 which was a lousy year. Since we are a small shop and have to get every job ourselves, there is the ongoing effect of the "talking head" or "animation stick figure" videos which are out there and sometimes the client wants for little or nothing.
2014 seems to be a bit better with us doing some crowd funding videos and since we do a lot of political work, 14 is looking like a good year for candidates and measures.
Now if I could only get my Mac Pro delivered...

Return to posts index

Sam Mestman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:38:04 pm

Hey Bob,

I actually really agree with this... for post houses, etc... this change will require them to adapt their services. For in house editors that can't make themselves indispensable this may also be a problem (read Seth Godin's Linchpin for a further understanding). In many cases, these changes will lead to indentured servitude for many editors caught up in the wrong places with sweatshop rates and poor treatment. Not that this doesn't already exist anyway, but it may become worse.

HOWEVER, there is a huge flip side that very few talk about. Because of the affordability of gear, there is a HUGE opportunity for those with an entrepreneurial disposition. Because the walls have broken down for gear, distribution, and the ability to do things in-house, you're going to see many take their careers in their own hands, generate their own content, and make their livings off their own self generated content. For me, this is the dream... to see people fully in control and accountable to their audiences, and seeing the profits from their labor directly. So, while on the one hand, you'll see editing become commoditized, for those brave enough to strike out on their own, walk the walk, and make the movies and content they always wanted to create, they finally have the toolset to compete on the highest level and be their own boss. I never got into this business to have a 9-5 and be a drone for someone else's whims and learn to be a yes man. There's easier ways to make money. I got into this to make cool things and be proud of the work I do. I now have the ability to control what I do and don't do for the first time in my life. This feels like progress.

No doubt, it's a double edged sword. There's going to be downsides to this. A lot of people won't like it. But for many, it's an opportunity for creative freedom and independence, and I think that needs to be kept in mind when weighing the merits of what's happening in the industry.

Sam Mestman
Workflow Architect - FCPWORKS
http://www.fcpworks.com
http://www.wemakemovies.org

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:18:19 pm

tiny, tiny aside to that:

if there were any morons out there who queried FCPX operating successfully under eight figure Hollywood pressure,
..who were then curious about FCPWORKS and its role, and realistically - those exact morons would likely be curious - recent fcpworks festivities apparently included a grace note, fresh 1.2.5 FCP install from the disc.

http://www.garbershop.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/wpid-IMG_20140125_1238...

Along with full, direct industry presentations from Apple (wait is that actually right?) and a broad host of third parties.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/300-actor-star-opposite-will-608985

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:01:34 pm

[Bob Zelin] "their "great talent" will separate them from "the pack" is only going to apply to hi end clients,"

There are millions of mom and pop shops in this country who have invested everything everything everything into their sandwich shop, or boutique, or book store, or flower shop, and they've been doing their business the same way with the same returns for years, but now their children are going to college, or their retirement needs bolstering, or they want a vacation, and that means they need to generate business and advertise. They need my help to make something compelling that will get the other local folks off their you-know-whats and into the local shops -- away from the multinational companies.

Shop local!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:50:44 pm

[Richard Herd] "[Bob Zelin] "their "great talent" will separate them from "the pack" is only going to apply to hi end clients,""

well that's approaching interesting. it's like saying the editing market is now close to fine art.
that the market for editors is not valid outside vanishingly small operators. That harm has been done on a weird level.

I do, myself, adore the various moronic simplicities and reductions introduced with the magnetic timeline, and all the intellectual limitations,
given the fact that it was a savage kick to anyone apple ever spoke to, I broadly applaud their knocking over the entire intellectual domino set of editing itself.

really - congratulations apple - that felt entirely considered.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jan 29, 2014 at 1:44:10 pm

Aindreas, I don't agree even the tiniest bit with what you say about knocking over the entire intellectual domino set of editing itself, but that might make a good subject line for another thread.

LOL ANOTHER THREAD.

I had hoped that when I put "Soooo....how's business?" in the subject line of this one, that it would indicate an interest in the BUSINESS of individuals and their companies here, and HOW those individuals and their businesses are doing, whence "How's business."

I had also hoped that by saying "OT," it would indicate an interest in NOT talking about FCPX in this one single thread. I added "ish" because, by design, nothing is truly off topic in this forum....

...however, I accept some responsibility for your confusion because I failed to add NO FCPX ALLOWED to the subject line. I hope I have now clarified any confusion.

Please allow me to try again.

AINDREAS, SOOOOOO.....HOW'S BUSINESS???????

LOL

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:25:36 pm

Yeah that's a point really. I may be a bit beyond help...

Business good - better January then usual, and I apparently get to go into BBC worldwide for a few weeks next and cut 'showcase' promos. I don't what that means but it sounds promising. The last gig I got off them was a fortnight cutting an internal short film marking the 50th anniversary of doctor who. My inner child actually died from shock that time, or a brain hemmorrhage.

After that I haven't a notion, my gigs rarely last longer than a fortnight. My biggest New Years resolution is to remember to save up for tax. Also if I don't buy a new computer soon, my laptop is going to drag itself off the desk in an attempted act of euthanasia.

Return to posts index

Loren Risker
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:12:58 pm

So far so good, lots of students enrolled in FCPX this semester so gonna get some extra cash that way too.

-------------
OutOfFocus.TV - Original series, music videos, mini-docs.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 28, 2014 at 12:51:45 am

2013 finished strong and 2014 is continuing the run. Crossed-fingers it lasts all year.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]