FORUMS: list search recent posts

What was your biggest bottleneck in 2013?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Soyka
What was your biggest bottleneck in 2013?
on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:00:18 pm

In the interest of broader conversation...

Looking back on a year (hopefully) less editorial time spent transcoding and rendering, what was the biggest bottleneck you faced in 2013? What was the thing that slowed you down the most?

Put another way, what's the next thing in your work you most wish there were a better way to do?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Tangier Clarke
Re: What was your biggest bottleneck in 2013?
on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:15:14 pm
Last Edited By Tangier Clarke on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:16:57 pm

Biggest bottleneck = my Mac Pro. It gets sluggish to the point of making it hard to edit.

Mac Pro/ Mavericks 10.1/ FCP X 10.1.1/ 2 x 2.26 Quad Core Xeon/ 16 GB RAM/ ATI Radeon 5770/ Blackmagic Multibridge Pro 2/ Drive bays running 7200 RPM Hitachi Drives / Always use Pro Res (optimized)

Our iMacs with less RAM but equal VRAM are much faster (i5 processors)

Tangier

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:28:14 pm

Network Executive Producers.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Michael Garber
on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:48:33 pm

Shane Ross FTW.

Michael Garber
5th Wall - a post production company
Blog: GARBERSHOP
My Moviola Webinar on Cutting News in FCP X

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:53:11 pm
Last Edited By Paul Neumann on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:53:27 pm

So now ask Developers what theirs are. You see where I'm going...

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:04:07 pm

[Walter Soyka] "What was the thing that slowed you down the most? "

Timeline rendering
Corrupted project files
Rendering review copies at .h264
Creating review DVDs
Program crashes
Ranting on the Cow

I do think it's time for me to leave both Legacy and my MacPro behind.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:18:00 am

• Script change versioning/collaboration, and storyboard creation. Nothing costs me more time in revisions and confusion than these two.

• Moving large amounts of data from local to SAN to LTO to SAN, and then making a local and offsite archive of everything.

• Never enough reliable upstream bandwidth.

• I used FCPX a fair amount in 2013, and creative editing sped up for me because of it. The new Event structure is slower for me, unfortunately. (But I do like Libraries)

• Our MacPros need to be relegated to iTunes servers, but I'm really looking forward to new MacPros, especially after getting a brand new laptop at the end of 2013 and getting a feel for Apple's new hardware.

• Creative Cow

• Creative Cow

• Creative Cow

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:24:20 pm
Last Edited By Franz Bieberkopf on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:33:47 pm

Walter,

On my last project, the edit was started May 2012 and we delivered in August 2013, cut in FCP7 using ProRes transcodes from many formats (primarily RED 5K, and C300 MXF, with heavy doses of XDCam).

Transcoding was a minor annoyance (RED was done via a Red Rocket card), but getting a handle on the back-up strategy took some time and energy until it had the momentum of a habit.

Translation and subtitling can also be very slow, clumsy processes.

The major bottleneck was the conform, which we took on ourselves before delivering to the lab. We used Resolve to relink and deliver camera originals, and it was not an ideal process (though a useful experiment). I think if I were to use a similar workflow again, I'd use Premiere and deliver DPXs.

Franz.

(Edit: Dates)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:49:48 pm

My biggest issues last year were Avid related...Avid Pan & Scan kept losing connections to the pictures...even when relinked. And I needed to almost relink all manually. Not much better with the Moving Picture plugin. Those are the biggest pains in my side. Thus why I miss FCP, and want to use it again...or PPro. But not CC...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:42:51 pm

AMA in Media Composer.

Way out in front as the worst offender. Countless wasted hours. Grrrrrrrrr .....

Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Clint Wardlow
on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:02:45 pm

Been shooting a project the past year that uses an old Super8 camera, old VHS camera, an old Sony HDV camera, and a new Sony Nex. With all these formats my biggest bottleneck is just getting the footage off the cameras and onto the computer. And sadly, I don't think it is going away.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:46:23 pm

[Clint Wardlow] "Been shooting a project the past year that uses an old Super8 camera, old VHS camera, an old Sony HDV camera, and a new Sony Nex. With all these formats my biggest bottleneck is just getting the footage off the cameras and onto the computer. And sadly, I don't think it is going away."

Clint,

Have you looked at the little BlackMagic Video Recorder - it's just a small dongle thing, but it does a simple analog to digital conversion with H-264 native on board.

I use it all the time when I have to digitize old analog sources. It's just a couple hundred bucks and works very well.

(This presumes your analog playback machines are stable, or you can find a TBC somewhere -but the gizmo does the actual digitizing really well.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:43:22 pm

Like Simon, mine was AMA in Media Composer. POS.

And like Shane, those further up the food chain who've never made a program but somehow have contrived to be in a position to tell you that you can't.

Can I get a plug in for that? If so, what calibre?

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:00:00 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:57:54 pm

I find that some plug-ins will take longer to render than others. Could be a setting I am missing. The biggest one is the lack of "Send To Motion" command. Why they have not brought back this feature is beyond me.

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:38:36 am

My mac pro (soon to be replaced... roll on Shipping in February)

Bugs in FCPX which still aren't resolved.

Annoying design choices in FCPX that still haven't been resolved.

Personal procrastination and a love of life over work.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Jan 23, 2014 at 12:04:46 pm

This varies a lot from project to project. "Rendering" is in general a problem, not sure how to quantify that as a "bottleneck". We're about to move to a new MacPro 2013-system from our older 2008 machine so we will see quite a boost in this area but I'm not sure it will "revolutionize" things as much as one would hope. We shall seeā€¦

A lot of manual work in prepping projects for example won't change as this isn't really a CPU, GPU och i/o limitation. What ever system we move to from our current (FCP7 / Color / AE) seems to have similar issue. Premier Pro CC doesn't solve anything for us really, I've tried it on a few projects and for us the mercury engine and AE-integration is completely overrated and doesn't even work as intended a lot of times. I have been quite impressed by what FCPX can do on modern systems but again it won't solve everything. FCPX + Resolve should, in theory, be a much faster turn-around solution than FCP7 + Color but for us FCPX still lacks a few basics we constantly use (batch-exporting, SD-projects).

We work in short-form relatively high end advertising post production so lots of edits, but normally between 10s and 60s in length.

Return to posts index

Rowan Banks
on Jan 23, 2014 at 3:38:20 pm

Great question.

For me, it was rendering NeatVideo's "Reduce Noise" filter across 2 hours of fullHD captured cinefilm transfers I had been doing.

It took 36 hours! Made for some fantastic footage though.

27" iMac 2.7GHz Intel Core i5, 16gb RAM, FCPX

http://www.apricotweddings.co.uk

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 23, 2014 at 4:17:11 pm

Sluggishness when having many events open at the same time. However, I will say this was an even greater problem when FCP 7 had to access large amounts of material from multiple drives. And dealing with sparse bundles. It works for me, but there are pitfalls and limitations.

Biggest time savings. FCP X speed with finding footage when not bogged down. And FCP X almost never crashes and when it does I don't lose anything. I calculated that I probably saved about 40 hours over the year with this compared to FCP 7.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:33:56 pm

Clients.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]