FORUMS: list search recent posts

External hard drive for editing with my macbook pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Slemdal
External hard drive for editing with my macbook pro
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:25:32 pm

Hi

I only have 256 ssd on my new macbook pro, and I`d like to buy an external hard drive,

I need usb 3.0, 1 TB, 7200 RPM, 2-300 grams, power supplied through the usb, 2,5ยจ= best performance / best price.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: External hard drive for editing with my macbook pro
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:31:35 pm

I just bought one of the WD Passport Ultra drives and it seems pretty speedy. Read/Write is about 100MBps.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:53:06 pm

Is that 7200 rpm?

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:41:21 pm

G-Tech miniRAID 1TB rocks with R3D and FCPX.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:46:42 pm

Have had no performance issues with GRaid mini 1TB, which is a 7200rpm RAID 0, via FW on 2012 iMac, or FW-to-Tbolt on MBPr 2013 -- which means boot drive is SSD, media on the GRaid.

Of course I am not really pushing the system. Cutting either HDV (re wrapped with ClipWrap), up to four camera multi-clips ... Or PR422. I have intercut native AVCHD from a Canon Rebel, but usually transcode all AVCHD etc from DSLRs, smartphones and the like, to ProRes.

I have half-dozen WD Passport USB3 drives, all set up for Time Machine or cloned boot drives. I guess I should try one as a media drive!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jan 22, 2014 at 8:52:59 pm

I am curious about Library and Render locations on your setup.

With 10.0.9, I had numerous Event & Project folders on my iMac spinning internal (backed up to time Machine), and media on the GRaid.

But for some projects it is obviously advantageous to have Event&Project or Library on same drive as media, so you can plug an play anywhere, anytime. Does anybody work that way?

Doug D

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:28:30 pm

I`ve always stored my media on another drive than my os. I guess thats maybe just old fashion?

The G-tech looks good, but maybe too big for me at the moment. Does it have power supply?

I may have to go for 500 GB at the moment; price wise. The Lacie Rugged get some good reviews; tried it?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H9376ZM/A/lacie-500gb-rugged-hard-drive-t...

How does WD play with Mac. I`ve seen mixed reviews

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:49:06 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "The G-tech looks good, but maybe too big for me at the moment. Does it have power supply? "

Graid MINI is a pretty small drive, similar footprint to pocket drives, but twice as thick (it has two platters). Yes, it comes with an AC power block, which is necessary for example when using with a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 13" Retina, with the FireWire-to-Thunderbolt adapter. However, it will mount as a bus-powered disk to my older 17" MBP, FW800 direct. And it will work with older iMacs, FW800 direct, with no AC.

[Morten Slemdal] "The Lacie Rugged get some good reviews; tried it? "

Have not used it.

[Morten Slemdal] "How does WD play with Mac. I`ve seen mixed reviews"

WD Passports seem to work well, like any comparable drive. The only issue I have heard is that the WD Utility software was not compatible with Mavericks and was causing data loss. But I don't know that you need to use that software in any case. Simply format the drive with Mac Disk Utility.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jan 22, 2014 at 11:04:58 pm

http://www.notebookreview.com/news/western-digital-my-passport-2tb-review/2...

Reviewer suggests software to test performance, and discusses the WD Passport USB3.0
drives mentioned elsewhere on the FCPX forums

Doug D

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:26:55 pm

[Morten Slemdal] "The Lacie Rugged get some good reviews; tried it?"

Yes, I replaced mine with the WD Passport Ultra because it was a faster drive. The LaCie Rugged was clocking in about 20-30MBps slower in read/write.

Return to posts index

Morten Slemdal
on Jan 23, 2014 at 1:43:51 pm

Wow, Are you a Mac user, Gary? People are really eager on the 7200 rpm thing, and I thought tha the WD Ultra was 5400. I should def try a Ultra disc then.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]