FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Hard drive reliability rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Herb Sevush
OT: Hard drive reliability rates
on Jan 22, 2014 at 1:47:45 pm

Totally OT but might be of interests here.

This link is to an article by Backblaze, a cloud backup server company, that reveals the Annual Failure Rate of the various hard drive brands that they use. Best is Hitachi, Western Digital slightly behind and trailing the pack by a good margin is Seagate.

http://blog.backblaze.com/2014/01/21/what-hard-drive-should-i-buy/

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: OT: Hard drive reliability rates
on Jan 22, 2014 at 1:54:46 pm

Definitely interested to see this, thanks for posting!

Return to posts index

Justin Crowell
on Jan 22, 2014 at 2:56:19 pm

Thanks Herb.
This may actually be a good time to ask a question I'm wondering about: What sort of backup systems do you all use?

I'm leaving a production company to return to the freelance world. My plan is to do
- SSD for system, of course
- a 4TB (to start) internal RAID 0 for Media,
- a 2TB internal RAID 0 for cache/exports
- An ESATA drive (haven't decided which yet) for nightly backups (thoughts on software?)
- and USB 3 or ESATA for archiving.

The company I'm leaving uses ESATA sleds with WD Greens for archiving, and I'm considering going that way (it's cheap, fast, and I don't end up with a 100 different types of drives lying around).

Apologies for extending the OTness...

Editor, Producer, DP
JustinCrowell.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 22, 2014 at 3:54:37 pm

[Justin Crowell] " What sort of backup systems do you all use?"

I use external Maxx Digital Raids, set at Raid 5, for all media, Backblaze online backups for all projects and documents, and LTO5 tape backups for archiving.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:32:49 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Best is Hitachi, Western Digital slightly behind and trailing the pack by a good margin is Seagate."

Interesting about the Samsung stat. I've been using Samsung HDs ever since I could. I have not had a single one ever fail on me (but my demands are low compared to most of you folks). I stopped buying them because I couldn't find them anymore and have recently switched to WD Black. The WDs seem fine, but are louder.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:19:46 pm

the Samsung drive division is owned by Seagate.
The Hitachi (HGST) drive division is owned by Western Digital.
My findings are identical to this report. With that said, I have seen more drive failures in 2013, than ever before since I have been doing this stuff. What that means to me is that the parent companies of all of these drives (Seagate and WD) don't feel the pressure for competition to make wonderful, reliable drives. Yes, they all have teriffic warrantees, but most people like us want our data to be there, and are not worried about spending another 50 bucks for a drive (or more) - IF we know that the damn drive won't fail.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:38:50 pm

[Bob Zelin] "I have seen more drive failures in 2013, than ever before since I have been doing this stuff."

Do you think this might have to do with the rush to get those Thai factories back up to speed after they were destroyed and the huge backlog of drives they were rushing to market? I'm hoping so because that would mean things returning to normal in the coming year.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]