FORUMS: list search recent posts

Don't Own It Yet

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Snow
Don't Own It Yet
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:45:53 pm

The Apple folks have just lied to me about everything, so I can't trust their answers. So, I'm asking here, I hope you folks can help.

If I get X can I log and capture off an old MiniDV camcorder? Besides the movie I'm working on which is HD footage from a Canon 7 (something), all my vacation footage is MiniDV footage from a 10 year old camcorder. I had no problem with FCP 6 and the firewire.

My biggest problem at the moment is I have a movie which I have almost fully edited in FCP 6 and according to EVERYONE I've spoken to and read about, CAN NOT be transferred to my NEW IMAC and even if I get X I can't just dump the 6 files into X. It's impossible.

I have Pro Res 422 raw footage, on a few External HDs. If I start all over again, can I just import these files into X and start at the beginning (that makes my head hurt to even think about).

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
Re: Don't Own It Yet
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:55:55 pm
Last Edited By Rick Lang on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59:12 pm

[George Snow] "If I get X can I log and capture off an old MiniDV camcorder? "

FCP X supports HDV and DV (from miniDV tape). I don’t know about particular camera communicating with FCP x, but if iMovie supports the camera, it should be fine. I use an old Canon HV20.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

George Snow
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:59:18 pm

Thank You! Any ideas on the Pro Res footage that's on my external HD? Will I be able to import them?

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:02:36 pm

ProRes footage imports just fine. Also, we connected and digitized hours and hours of old HDV and DV tapes from a Sony Z1U last month, so I can confirm that works.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:33:54 pm

[John Davidson] "ProRes footage imports just fine. Also, we connected and digitized hours and hours of old HDV and DV tapes from a Sony Z1U last month, so I can confirm that works."

John, when you capture the footage can you log it first and batch capture or is it just 'capture now' type functionality?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:42:54 pm

I think it just came up in the import dialogue. I believe it broke apart clips from camera start/stops like the old FCP did.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

George Snow
on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:27:20 pm

Thank You! This kind of makes me feel better. Who wouldn't want to do months worth of work over again?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2014 at 3:08:59 am

If you are willing to spend some more money, there's a translation application that might allow you to transfer your FCP6 project XML to FCPX, mostly in tact.

It's $10.

http://assistedediting.intelligentassistance.com/7toX/

Jeremy

Return to posts index

George Snow
on Jan 24, 2014 at 4:14:49 am

Thanks. If I'm stuck with this computer I might try that. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:03:36 pm

FCP X edits all flavours of ProRes including ProRes 4:2:2 directly without transcoding.

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 20, 2014 at 10:52:00 pm

[George Snow] "My biggest problem at the moment is I have a movie which I have almost fully edited in FCP 6 and according to EVERYONE I've spoken to and read about, CAN NOT be transferred to my NEW IMAC and even if I get X I can't just dump the 6 files into X. It's impossible.

I have Pro Res 422 raw footage, on a few External HDs. If I start all over again, can I just import these files into X and start at the beginning (that makes my head hurt to even think about).
"

You can use the ProRes footage, but you will not be able to "open" the FCP6 project in FCPX.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Jan 21, 2014 at 8:02:01 am

Scroll down and read the thread I started before you buy it. The program is busted.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Jan 21, 2014 at 12:44:21 pm

[james Lackleter] "Scroll down and read the thread I started before you buy it. The program is busted."

Oh please, please put another record on. X isn't any more 'busted' than any other NLE, and believe me I've used a few. Yes it has shortcomings, yes there's some missing functionality that requires 3rd party tools to achieve, and yes it is different... but I've spent the last 12 months on Avid coming up against their particular brand of foibles (AMA anyone?) and you know what? That lost me MORE time on a project than anything I can think of in a fair while. And some things in X - mainly to do with the way it lets me interact with the footage - makes every other NLE seem positively stone-aged. IMHO.

X will do everything the OP needs. Whether or not it's the most appropriate tool for him is another matter, and only some more digging will narrow that down. But saying it's 'busted' helps no-one.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 21, 2014 at 1:33:36 pm

[james Lackleter] "Scroll down and read the thread I started before you buy it. The program is busted."

I haven't exactly earned my card from the FCPX Boosters Club, but I don't think it's even remotely fair to call FCPX "busted."

Each of the NLEs have their own set of strengths and weaknesses. Blanket statements about the superiority or inferiority of any one NLE are indefensible.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jan 21, 2014 at 5:14:35 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I haven't exactly earned my card from the FCPX Boosters Club"

Walter, according to my records, you just need to complete one evening 301 level class on "Recognizing Neo-luddites in Open Forum Posting" and write a 5 page paper on the topic Magnetism Rocks! - and I can get your certificate out to you within 10 days.

; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:13:42 pm

Are we sure this isn't just the infamous "Andy Branner" in a different guise?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 21, 2014 at 7:16:21 pm

I have been biting my tongue on "Mr Incredible 2".

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jan 21, 2014 at 8:03:34 pm

Been thinking the same. I wish we could have both these guys in one thread, now THAT would be "entertainment" (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 21, 2014 at 8:14:40 pm

It's fun to have a pet troll

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]