FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X on a 2008 mac pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Sheldon
FCP X on a 2008 mac pro
on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:03:50 am

hi all - just been reading some of the threads as i'm another one wondering which way to jump.

my choices are 1. upgrade my 2008 mac pro GPU, RAM, USB 3 etc and go for FCP X
or 2. jump to pc and most likely prem pro.

someone mentioned changing their GPU in a mac pro for one that works better with X. does anyone know if this would then render my old FCP redundant? i have loads of FCP projects that i will need to access occasionally whichever way i go

any thoughts most appreciated

Phil

Return to posts index

alban egger
Re: FCP X on a 2008 mac pro
on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:21:10 am

First you need 16GB Ram
Then a GPU. I have a 2009-MP with a 4870 card and a 2011 McBookPro and the MacBook is much better for FCPX and has Thunderbolt. New MBooks have USB3 also. If you don't need the MacPro for Pci cards I would go for Macbook or iMac, before you put money into an old box.
I will soon sell my MacPro to someone who needs a server and will upgrade to an iMac or MacPro2013.

Going to PrePro and or Windows is a totally different decision!

Return to posts index

Phil Sheldon
on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:38:24 am

thanks for your thoughts Alban, much appreciated. we've been down the road of upgrading old boxs' before with mixed results, hence my query.

my options now would seem to be imac and X or pc and prempro...

cheers

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:48:17 am

X is very fast on the new imacs and new pros. i think its really worth to upgrade old hardware. BTW the Adobe CC package works very well on the new imacs as well. I subscribed 2 months ago and I am very happy. After Effects is very smooth.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2014 at 2:16:49 pm

I have a 2008 8 Core MacPro and updated the GPU to the ATI 5770 when FCPX came out.
I also have 2011 15" MBP and late 2013 15" MBPr. FCPX is faster on both. I think the primary reason is that it takes advantage of features in the i7 architecture not found in Xeon CPUs.

That said, I've heard that you can install two 5770s or even two 7950s and FCPX will take advantage of them. I haven't heard or seen tests with the 2008 model though, only more recent (Barefeats did this).

I'm not sure how FCP7 will handle the two GPUs though.
There 7toX though if you need to move projects.

Personally I'm headed to a new MacPro though.

Return to posts index

Phil Sheldon
on Jan 20, 2014 at 4:46:29 pm

i'd love to get a new mac pro but i have to make a case for software/hardware and justify costs to the boss. he'll just say no to that much money unfortunately!

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:04:18 pm
Last Edited By Fabrizio D'Agnano on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:05:55 pm

I upgraded my 2008 MP adding RAM and a 5770 GPU. I won't move to 4K any soon, since the TV I produce content for won't change the delivery standards in the next future, so I guess that if my machine keeps doing just what it did in the past two years for another two, it will be about a two hundreds dollars per year expense, that's not bad especially if you are on a tight budget. AVCHD 190x1080 runs smooth even without transcoding, I can launch heavy export during the night time so a, say, 20% faster wouldn't mean much to me, and I can say I am pretty happy. No problem of any kind. Plus I can keep running my very fast internal RAID and all the e-sata RAID or enclosures without having to spend more money for TB ones and adapters. RAM and video card make a noticeably difference. I recently went to a friend of mine's office, where he has a 2008 MP that's twin with mine, but with the standard GPU and 8 Gb RAM, and it was a pain, although we could still edit, with spinning beach ball most of the time and very noticeable lags. For older FCP7 projects, I have an external FW800 drive running Mountain Lion and FCP7. If I need to access one, I launch that as a system drive and do what I need to do.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:02:19 pm

Two GPUs on 2008 MacPro would be an inexpensive yet likely significant improvement for FCPX. Barefeats tested with later model so there's no confirmation on 2008 specifically or FCP7. Relatively speaking two 5770s would be a "low expense" experiment. At the very least one would certainly work with FCPX and FCP7. So at worst only the 2nd GPU would be the "risk" expense.

Here Barefeats includes two 5770 on 2010 MacPro as well as 7000 series vs 2013 base model with dual D300s
http://barefeats.com/tube05.html

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:12:32 pm

[Phil Sheldon] "
my options now would seem to be imac and X or pc and prempro..."

If you are a Mac person, then you should stick with the Mac platform. Then your choice is FCPX or Premiere Pro. Obviously Premiere Pro CC runs great on any Mac and newer imacs all have good GPUs that will support some sort of hardware acceleration.

Good luck!
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:31:25 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Then your choice is FCPX or Premiere Pro. "

Or both? That's what I do.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jan 20, 2014 at 6:35:51 pm

[Steve Connor] "Or both? That's what I do."

Of course that is possible as well.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:50:19 pm

The 2008 MP hot rodded with used parts hunted off ebay can be turned into a more than capable machine without breaking the bank.

If you are going for FCP X and the Creative Cloud version of PP, a made for Mac 7950 is a great deal. (The CS6 version relies on CUDA for the realtime performance) Assuming you have at least 16GB of RAM as Alban said, the GPU is the most important thing to upgrade if you want FCP X to run well. If you ever get a newer tower, you can just move it to that one. This should be a good card for the next few years.

If it's not already dual processor, you can pick up used CPUs on ebay for really cheap now which makes a huge difference. If you have ever built a PC, this isn't that tough of a job.

Used RAM that's been tested and from a reputable seller is a good way to save some money. (some would disagree) The RAM for that tower can be really spendy.

Get a good USB 3.0 card (they are not created equal) and you should be in great shape.

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:55:44 pm

[Darren Roark] "Get a good USB 3.0 card (they are not created equal) and you should be in great shape."

I got a Fresco Logic two ports, but it died quite quickly. The led lights up, the system sees the card, but drives can't be seen even when powering the card. Which one would you suggest?

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy
early 2008 MacPro, BM Intensity Pro, early 2008 iMac, 2011 MacBook Pro, FCP7, FCPX, OSX 10.8.3

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:15:25 pm

[Fabrizio D'Agnano] " Which one would you suggest?"

I have had good luck with the CalDigit cards. If you do some research about which controller chips work best in OS X, you could find less expensive ones if you want to put in the time.

They have a four port card for $140 and a two port card for $79.

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Jan 23, 2014 at 3:36:29 pm

I have been eyeing this card for my MP 2008 3,1. Any thoughts on it?
http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Windows-ORICO-PFU3-4P-Controller/dp/B008V3...

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer
http://www.phillip-todd.com

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:04:20 pm

It has a lot of positive reviews from mac users. For $20 you can't really go wrong considering if it goes south, you can always buy two so you can have a backup.

I've had cheap firewire/usb cards outlive the tower it was added to, and ones that died within a few months. It's the warranty I spend money on at this point and an extra $20 for the piece of mind that you can get up and running again.

Return to posts index

Phillip Todd
on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:22:45 am
Last Edited By Phillip Todd on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:23:25 am

Thanks for the confirmation Darren.

I read the Barefeats article: http://barefeats.com/tube05.html

and contacted Rob-ART@barefeats regarding his exclusion of the 2008 MP 3,1 from his final statement:

Question:
You (Rob) wrote: "Good news for those who are continuing with their 2009 - 2012 Mac Pro tower: You will benefit from the optimizations made in FCPX 10.1 and Motion 5.1 for the 2013 Mac Pro . And with high-end GPUs, you can get close to the render speeds of the 2013."

Is there a reason the 2008 MP 3,1 is NOT included in this list?

Answer:
The 2008 has some issues with some of the fast GPUs. Like the 7970 and 7950 never get to full speed in 3,1 in 10.9. Yet others, like the GTX 780, work fine.

Plus the two 4-lane slots are PCIe 1.1 instead of 2.0. That means won’t get the speed with PCIe flash storage you will experience on the 2009 - 2012.

It’s not ‘upgrade caveat free’ like the 2009 - 2012 Mac Pros. But if you are willing to navigate the pitfalls, there are ways to boost its performance.

-Rob

I thought we would all benefit from this info from Rob-ART @ barefeats.

Phillip Todd
Cinematographer
http://www.phillip-todd.com

Return to posts index

Fabrizio D'Agnano
on Jan 24, 2014 at 1:15:48 pm

Precious info, thanks for sharing.

Fabrizio D'Agnano
Rome, Italy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]