FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hi, I'm bright, ambitious and young. As an editor, I feel I need to be able to operate FCPX. next steps?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Hi, I'm bright, ambitious and young. As an editor, I feel I need to be able to operate FCPX. next steps?
on Jan 20, 2014 at 1:03:49 am

for kicks - how do people view the reality of that sentence?

Mark Raudonis:

I regularly interview freelance editors in the LA market looking for work in Reality TV. I always make a point of asking them about "X". "Do you know it?", I ask. "Do you like it?, I enquire. "Do you know anyone who uses it?" Inevitably, they make a face like someone just farted.

I get its LA. but even at the very lower end, it's staggeringly absent in london. Where is the brave new future? Who exactly is supposed to be carrying the flag?

I'm utterly certain the ripple trainers are coining it, but where in the hell in london is anyone using it? can we use this thread as a living headcount that doesn't include craig slattery?

london has around 8.3 million and it is falling over with media. where is FCPX currently in london?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Hi, I'm bright, ambitious and young. As an editor, I feel I need to be able to operate FCPX. next steps?
on Jan 20, 2014 at 3:54:50 am

Do you care how many of us here in Atlanta are using it to make a living?

It's 5.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Hi, I'm bright, ambitious and young. As an editor, I feel I need to be able to operate FCPX. next steps?
on Jan 20, 2014 at 5:17:00 am

What's more dangerous?

An artillery piece?

Or a virus?

You could argue that the Hollywood or Major Network battles require artillery crews.

But what changes the world, are the tiny transformative "infections" that change the game top to bottom.

X will thrive because it understands in it's DNA that making the actual video is only one part of the modern battle. Less and less the entire war.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

james Lackleter
on Jan 20, 2014 at 7:04:20 am

Someone mentioned BBC culture show using it. They were using 7 but the producers liked the X interface so they made the editors switch.

Little side note. London is so far beyond what the states have done with sound it's ridiculous. They take the cake in sound.

Return to posts index

Michael Sanders
on Jan 20, 2014 at 1:00:34 pm

From reading this and other posts I understood Craig was the driving force - not the production team.

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/46422#46422

Michael Sanders
London Based DP/Editor

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jan 20, 2014 at 8:26:25 am

These guys seem to like it. http://www.10dot1.co.uk Granted, they're a tech company, but they appear to believe they can make some money with it, so you'd think someone is using it… I dunno...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:01:24 am

Is anyone actually trying to claim that it's in widespread use acroos the industry?

I haven't seen that, I also don't think that at this stage in it's development that it's particularly important. There are plenty of people like me who are using it and if it starts to make bigger inroads into the higher end then it will take much longer than 2 years.

I'd be telling the young Editor to learn Avid as their main NLE then get an understanding of PPro and FCPX.

Steve Connor

There's nothing we can't argue about on the FCPX COW Forum

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 20, 2014 at 9:32:01 am

And they should also learn FCP 7 just in case, especially if they are joining the job market this year. I have a feeling Legacy is still going to be around for a while.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Jan 20, 2014 at 1:46:41 pm

On the OP. There's something that would rub me the wrong way about an editor totally dismissing X. While it may not be everyone's cup of tea, there is a lot in there that editors should like. If they can't find anything to like, I would start to wonder how good of an editor they really are. Good editors are open-minded, dedicated to their craft, always looking for new ways to do things - not merely followers of the latest trends. Also, h8rs are no fun to work with.

So if I were hiring an editor for Avid if they also knew X and had a balanced review of it, I think that might indicate a maturity and confidence in their skills.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jan 21, 2014 at 9:29:59 pm

[Steve Connor] " There are plenty of people like me who are using it and if it starts to make bigger inroads into the higher end then it will take much longer than 2 years."

yes, quite - sorry, er, old posting appetites.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Jan 20, 2014 at 12:56:31 pm

hi hear ya,

we are in London and do technical corrections to over 150 spots a day, I would love to move to FCPX but here are the main issues

1 . No multi-audio assignment in SDI land, we do a shed load of 4 channel and 8 channel clips that need to be standard converted and FCP7 can do this no worries

2. Batch Export - I know you can load them up but when we are exporting 10 - 15 commercials at a time it can be lost within 1 second

3. SDI monitoring - we can have 1080i5994, 1080p2398 and SD PAL / NTSC in 1 project, having to exit and reselect is a ballache.

We do use FCPX for all our inhouse corp work and DSLR stuff, I personally love FCPX and where it is going but until those issues are available I am stuck with FCP7

FCP 7
FCPX 10
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

Return to posts index